Marine Deep Cycle battery.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Old battery finally died yesterday on the vette, so being long ago converted to a side poster, I noted that the replacement was like 95 bux+ tax.....eff that, looked over the shelf and found a similar size Marine Deep Cycle battery for 65 bux......in automotive use, what is the diff???

I bought a couple Marine Deep cycle batteries for the Motor home, they share the MH and the vette the same.....way I look at it, is I saved 30 bux....

What say you all????:surrender:

Last edited:
The marine battery might not have the cold cranking amps of the regular battery but you being in Florida makes that point mostly irrelevant.

The marine battery will have a larger reserve capacity so if you park and keep accessories like stereos running with the engine off, you'll be able to go longer than with a normal car battery.

The marine batteries are supposedly built a little more tough to handle the shock and vibration of riding in the boat on the water.

What I don't know about is lifespan. I never got the same lifespan out of marine batteries for my boat that I did my car batteries but boat batteries lead a tough life and aren't used regularly.

One possible problem. If this is truly just a deep cycle battery rather than a hybrid cranking/deep cycle marine battery, it may not last as long trying to handle cranking chores.

DC

Basically-

Marine is for a low current- long drain- slower recharge.

Automotive-high current -short term- quick recharge.

Marine batteries don't like to be overcharged...but don't mind being completely discharged..Automotive are the opposite.

Richard

Basically-

Marine is for a low current- long drain- slower recharge.

Automotive-high current -short term- quick recharge.

Marine batteries don't like to be overcharged...but don't mind being completely discharged..Automotive are the opposite.

Richard

What caught my eye was auto bat was priced at 95 bux, doubled in price + over the last maybe 6-7 years, insane, and the marine similar size was only 65 bux out the door, the vette sets in the garage sometimes for days on end, the CCA not an issue as I have a mini starter, and engine flips over happy.....so I looked at like I save 30 bux.....:lol:

Also referred to as a deep cycle battery. They will crank for a longer duration and sit idle for longer periods, I'm pretty sure.

"The structural difference between deep cycle batteries and cranking batteries is in the lead battery plates. Deep cycle battery plates have thicker active plates, with higher-density active paste material and thicker separators. Alloys used for the plates in a deep cycle battery may contain more antimony than starting batteries.[3] The thicker battery plates resist corrosion through extended charge and discharge cycles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery

Last edited:
i have always been told that cold cranking amps mean little, a good battery has reserve capacity. i have run marine batteries many times and they always worked well,