Holley: help me figger this out.

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Trying to figure out why my carb seems to dump fuel on shutdown. The car is not running particularly rich and I have no obvious signs of fuel dripping from the vents or venturis. But when I try to restart I get what feels like hydrolock, the starter won't turn over past a cylinder (I believe it's #6). I let off the starter for a couple seconds and then it goes like that again until it finally starts. Then, when it does start, it runs really low RPMs until (my guess) the excess fuel burns off and the choke kicks the idle up and the engine runs fine.
Thoughts?

Too much initial??

and maybe the choke closing and pull off....

:thumbs::twitch:

The choke won't have the ability to pull the throttle open without you kicking the pedal.
And a hydrolock won't clear itself unless there's raw fuel running down into the crankcase, and a cylinder full of any liquid is going to grenade something.
I'll bet on either a bad spot in the starter or a bad connection for the cranking problem.
Run the engine, shut it off, then go pull the float level plugs- fuel should be right at the bottom and slosh out when you shake the car. Keep an eye on that for a bit and see of the level drops. If fuel is leaking into the engine, it'd act exactly like it's flooding- low idle, black smoke, stink, until it clears itself. I can't think of any way a Holley style carb can drip into the intake unless something is broken internally or the float level ios way high.