cracked flexplate

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
Finally got the motor pulled out of the suburban today and was surprised to discover this:
3184544d82ad8a403.jpg
What caused this? This is just a "going down the road" motor. No hotrod. I don't even flog it. I've towed a couple of times but beyond that it's pretty much bone stock and I drive it like I'm trying to get more than 10mpg.

Decades ago I picked up a Pontiac Bonneville because of an incorrect diagnosis by TWO certified mechanics the flex plate had sheered, engine ran but the silly plate was still.....they thought it was a bad crankshaft.....

picked it up and fixed it for less than a grand.....just after my second divorce.....:bump::rofl::rofl:

I got the crank out the other day and it wasn't as chewed up as I initially thought. In fact, it has hardly any damage at all. I'll probably go ahead and have it turned since it's out anyway.
But I guess the question is still, why did the flexplate crack? And would a cracked flexplate sound like a rod going bad?
I'd really like some experienced answers here because I would hate to put this thing back together and be looking to do this all over again another year or two later.

A cracked flexplate can make a hell of a racket. I heard a few back in my wrench turning days. Don't know why they crack though. Usually no signs of abuse.

A cracked flexplate can make a hell of a racket. I heard a few back in my wrench turning days. Don't know why they crack though. Usually no signs of abuse.

I agree, my experience was a '76? Bonneville 2 dr but owned by a woman....not likely a hotrod but yet that broken completely loose flexplate....

towed to my house....made money on the car....

they sometime break, and I have never heard of any reasons why, as to a specific, logical reason.....

:surrender: