OBD2 that meets this requirement

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
I've finally figured out what I want to do with my engine. It's a late model roller block and I want to go OBD2 on it. Mainly for ease of complying with local or state emissions bullshit, plus I think tuning would be more universal. The part I'm unsure about is if there were any OBD2 systems that operated MPFI and a conventional distributor. I've checked out both the Projection system and the Edelbrock system and they are both proprietary in the control and both rely on a conventional vacuum advance distributor.
I'm probably a long way off from actually working on it but I want to have something in mind if I decide to go junk yard shopping.

I've finally figured out what I want to do with my engine. It's a late model roller block and I want to go OBD2 on it. Mainly for ease of complying with local or state emissions bullshit, plus I think tuning would be more universal. The part I'm unsure about is if there were any OBD2 systems that operated MPFI and a conventional distributor. I've checked out both the Projection system and the Edelbrock system and they are both proprietary in the control and both rely on a conventional vacuum advance distributor.
I'm probably a long way off from actually working on it but I want to have something in mind if I decide to go junk yard shopping.

all the changes on a LT1 to make it obd2 was the addition of a crankshaft position sensor.

As for obd2 with a distributor I don't think there ever was. Except maybe in a truck.

Two initials these daze L S

which are getting cheaper all the time in the junkyards.....

And I am told it's a bolt on to my 200 4r trans, when/if the time comes, that's the route it's going....

:gurney:

Sorry, GENE, not doing an LS swap for this. Already have the AFR heads and 4-bolt block. That's what's going in it. I would just really like MPFI and an electronic distributor. I don't know if any of the trucks had that configuration. I've seen MPFI, and I've seen TBI with the electronic distributor, but I've never seen MPFI and Edistributor.

EFI connection sells kits to run an LS ECU on earlier gen SBC
http://www.eficonnection.com

I looked at those sites and read a bit just now, but the one thing that is not covered is about the t-bodies....mine has a IAC motor, and cable throttle, I do not like drive by wire....

but lets assume I spent a grand or more to get all these new parts on my engine,....just what can I expect to improve?? fuel economy?? can't get any smoother, don't need much in the power dept.....

It looks like with the addition of crank and cam sensors, you could run all the LS stuff, cable or DBW TB. Probably could source a used truck harness, sensors, ecu for a couple hundred bucks. My used 5.3 was only $900 shipped.
Not sure of improvements on a SBC without the LS cam, heads, gearing, etc.
I just went with the complete LS swap on both mine. Absolutely love the mileage, power, reliability, drivability, etc

EFI connection sells kits to run an LS ECU on earlier gen SBC
http://www.eficonnection.com

I looked at those sites and read a bit just now, but the one thing that is not covered is about the t-bodies....mine has a IAC motor, and cable throttle, I do not like drive by wire....

but lets assume I spent a grand or more to get all these new parts on my engine,....just what can I expect to improve?? fuel economy?? can't get any smoother, don't need much in the power dept.....