Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Drive Train

Old 06-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Belgium | Addict

My Photos: (104)
Default Clutch problem

I had to replace my clutch but I seem to have some problems with getting it setup properly and especially the combination of release bearing free play and play in the clutch when disengaged.

The clutch in question is a Mcleod Prostreet clutch. I'm using one of their steel flywheels and a Lakewood scatter shield with block plate.

Before you question : yes I used and adjustable pivot in the bellhousing that I set to compensate for the flywheel and block plate.
The clutch fork sits at the correct angle when the release bearing is against the clutch (which is almost straight but slightly towards the transmission).

Mcleod calls for clutch 0.050" free play when disengaged and my Corvette workshop manual says to install the clutch with about .400" free play for the release bearing. When I do this the clutch will not disengage properly. When I set it less to between 1/6 and 1/4" I can get the proper air gap at the cluthc when fully disengaged, but I find it a little too close for comfort.

I'm at the end of my wits here. Any ideas ?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (67)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette View Post
I had to replace my clutch but I seem to have some problems with getting it setup properly and especially the combination of release bearing free play and play in the clutch when disengaged.

Before you question : yes I used and adjustable pivot in the bellhousing that I set to compensate for the flywheel and block plate.
?
Been there, you might not like my suggestion, but here is what I did.

After swapping the trans at least 3 times, I cut 1/4 inch (or so) material out of the bell housing. Right at the front of the opening (towards front of car). Also threw away the rubber boot.

Speedway sells an extended flywheel bushing as the block saver moves the trans out. Donít use the roller bushing, it fails due to limited engagement (I learned the hard way).
Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 PM
United States | Addict

I should add:

I had a Lakewood bellhousing spec’ed for a C3 big block.
Also had a adjustable ball pivot, from Lakewood I think. Most other parts were new except z bar.

My clutch was a RAM dual friction I think, but if it is important to you I can look it up. Very heavy competition clutch.

After a bunch of examination, cutting was my only solution. I thought it might only apply to my car, as the body has shifted on the frame a bit.

Tried to find the bushing on Speedway and it doesn’t show up. Here is one on jeg’s: Allstar Performance Long Pilot Bushing Bronze.

I never knew about these and ended up just not seating the stock bronze one as deep as possible.

Let us know your solution.

Last edited by rtj; 06-10-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Belgium | Addict

Hi

I already noted that the bellhousing opening was too short, so I already cut mine, but it only helps with the movement of the TO to the back (engaged) position. It doesn't do anything for the disengaged position.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette View Post
Hi

I already noted that the bellhousing opening was too short, so I already cut mine, but it only helps with the movement of the TO to the back (engaged) position. It doesn't do anything for the disengaged position.
Screw out the ball pivot. I made it so I could adjust the pivot without taking off the bell housing.

Also, there are two or three styles of release bearings. I had to try at least two, but I forget which worked (dimensional height).

If that still won’t work you need to take more off.

Also, check all linkages for play, bent parts, and wear. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:42 PM
United States | Addict

Kind of pricey, but is adjustable to 3 heights. Never knew there was one.

McLeod Throwout Mechanical Bearing GM

GM Throwout Bearings

1-1/8" shaft diameter
Collar ID all lengths: 1.375"
Bearing Face all lengths: 2.640"
Short Height: 1.580"
Medium Height: 1.755"
Long Height: 1.930"

Edit: when it is all done you’ll be a lot safer! Those floors (even if you have the metal inserts) won’t stop much if a clutch explodes.

Last edited by rtj; 06-11-2019 at 12:17 AM..
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Belgium | Addict

Are you sure about those sizes ? I think mine is 1.220 " in height...
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM
United States | Addict

No, thatís just a cut and paste from Jegs. Contact McLeod.

Reading your issues jogged my memory, I forgot about having to try several release bearings.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Belgium | Addict

Ok, I disconnected the rod that went to the fork still leaving the pedal rod in the current adjustment. I then pushed the TO bearing to touch the fingers and scribed a mark on the fork and bellhousing. I then reconnected and voila the TO bearing is clearly in contact with the fingers all the time when I want to have the proper airgap.

I guess I need an adjustable unit. Mcleod has these in 1.350/1.500/1.650/1.800. Going from the fact that it's now in contact and I need at least .250" free play I guess my correct height would be around 1.500"
Old 06-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Belgium | Addict

Can someone measure the arms on their Z-bar please ?

Thanks