Replacing hard brake lines

JPhil

Huh?
I'm going to replace my front hard brake lines this year. Before I order up a set, anybody have recommendations for who's a good vendor for fit & quality?
Thanks

I bought the line separately and "rolled my own." You can get the "double flare" tool, with a CC deposit at many of the auto part stores. Then return the tool for no charge - or buy it outright. There are a number of choices, including powdercoated lines. Adds a nice custom look to the job. Also makes the "fit" just a close as you want. Look in forwar section - driver's side for a quick example...
12695191903502410.jpg

Also a number of other folks have used pre-bent lines.

Cheers - Jim

Jim, did you even documented the insane contraption that is your rear suspension?

Guess it was close to ten years ago the OEM line to the rear failed in the middle of the run....so it was over 30 years old......I went to the local parts house, and spliced two precut lines together with a brass coupler, trimmed one end for length, and in the process got rid of that brake warning switch....with the new hoses and stuff, I figger it's good for another ten years anyway.....Oh, years ago I 'rented' a double flare tool for like 25? bux....I forgot to return it.....:smash::thumbs::surrender:

AutoZone has that double flare tool that you can either rent or (like me) just use in their store..... I took the old rotted line there, bought a new line, cut it, bent it, flared it right in their store..... (Several cars).....

Steel line will last many years..... On my C3 however I bought the entire stainless kit... Fit well, no leaks, should be good until I retire and turn to dust in 50+ years..... I consider the Corvette a toy and I don't mind spending a little more ..... I also like to look at shiny stainless stuff instead of rust..... :smash:

Jim, did you even documented the insane contraption that is your rear suspension?
A bit off topic - but, yes I will. I have some spare time on my hands for a few weeks. I was involved in a racing incident at Sebring a few weeks back, and with some recovery time while doing physical therapy I'll do just that.*

Separate thread coming soon. -- Honest - I promise. And, when I get them, I'll post pics of the shunt/wreck.

Cheers - Jim

* (Pelvis has a 6 inch stainless steel plate in front and 4 s/s screws, 8 inch s/s screw across back side of pelvis, some minor fractures in rt foot and lower two vertebrae.) Up and around and bearable pain - but not cleared back to the garage just yet.

A bit off topic - but, yes I will. I have some spare time on my hands for a few weeks. I was involved in a racing incident at Sebring a few weeks back, and with some recovery time while doing physical therapy I'll do just that.*

Separate thread coming soon. -- Honest - I promise. And, when I get them, I'll post pics of the shunt/wreck.

Cheers - Jim

* (Pelvis has a 6 inch stainless steel plate in front and 4 s/s screws, 8 inch s/s screw across back side of pelvis, some minor fractures in rt foot and lower two vertebrae.) Up and around and bearable pain - but not cleared back to the garage just yet.

OH SHIT MAN, sounds like my BIL decades ago auto wreck, got one of the very first SS hip replacements.......get better soon man, sorry to hear that....

:crutches::cry:

I went with the stainless steel lines from either Muskegon brake, corvette central or ecklers.....the stainless steel is really hard so that as you tighten it you really need to tighten and then work it loose and retighten and then work it loose etc etc so you form the end while its seating other wise they can leak.

(Pelvis has a 6 inch stainless steel plate in front and 4 s/s screws, 8 inch s/s screw across back side of pelvis, some minor fractures in rt foot and lower two vertebrae.)

Holy frijole!!

I've bought from other vendors, but I've had the best luck with in-line tube. Good customer service. I have SS brake lines and gas lines on the 68 and 70, all from in-line tube. When I order SS lines, I also order SS fittings for the lines.

I have Stainless Steel Brake Corporation aluminum calipers on both cars. The factory trailing arm to caliper brake line will not fit the SSBC calipers. For both cars, this line has been custom made for me in SS.

Their custom brake service is excellent. First, make the brake line you desire out of copper tubing. You need 3/16 inch tubing...you may have to order 3/16 inch copper tubing from the inter net since hardware stores typically don't carry it. Making a custom brake line out of copper is pretty easy and fun. It's easy to bend and double flare. I install plain steel fittings on my copper brake lines.........Then send your custom made copper tubed brake lines to inline. They'll laser scan the copper lines and then their automated brake line bending machine will duplicate your copper lines in SS. And they'll come with SS fittings if desired. I forget how much I've paid (done this twice) but it's not expensive.

Of course they'll do custom gas lines also.

One thing...the advantage of copper is that it's sooo easy to bend...the disadvantage of copper is it's sooo easy to bend. After you make your custom brake lines, package them very carefully so they don't get inadvertent extra bends/distortions in shipping or handling. If an accidentally bent/distorted copper line is scanned, the machine will make a
a line with the accidental bends or distortions.

I ordered up a full set from Doc Rebuild last weekend. He only has complete sets but I figured if this goes like other projects, I may well end up doing the rear end also.

(I used to fab up oil lines for my Harleys from copper often. And once on a nice custom '56 I then used them as patterns for chrome plated tubing ones. I made myself a flaring tool for the odd angle HD flares.)

Last edited: