Tire Pressure Monitoring System Service

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
WTF! My left front tire displays a low pressure warning light and message in the display. I reset the system with the goofy letting the air out of the tires, sequentially, until the horn chips. No chip for the left front. So (I'm guessing) I need a new sensor for the tire? They are $50 and the system cannot be defeated. There is no way to disable it.

Anyone know how to diagnose if it's the transmitter (valve stem) or the receiver?

Why can't GM let you monitor your tire pressure without this crappy "system"?

WTF! My left front tire displays a low pressure warning light and message in the display. I reset the system with the goofy letting the air out of the tires, sequentially, until the horn chips. No chip for the left front. So (I'm guessing) I need a new sensor for the tire? They are $50 and the system cannot be defeated. There is no way to disable it.

Anyone know how to diagnose if it's the transmitter (valve stem) or the receiver?

Why can't GM let you monitor your tire pressure without this crappy "system"?

don't you just love technology :club:

Great. Just found out it's government mandated! That figures.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

The TREAD act requires the installation of tire pressure monitoring systems that warn the driver when a tire is significantly under-inflated. It includes all passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000lbs or less. That includes almost all Passenger and Light Truck vehicles with the exception of vehicles with dual rear wheels. The TREAD Act is very specific in that a TPMS system need only warn the driver in the event that a tire is determined to be significantly under-inflated. According to the specifications of the Act, this could mean a tire would need to be under-inflated by as much as 25% before the TPMS telltale would alert the driver. The current TPMS mandate applies only to passenger cars, SUV's, vans and Light trucks below 10,000 lbs GVW. However a ?phase II? ruling covering vehicles heavier than 10,000 lbs is already in the works. Although the current mandate began with 2004 model year vehicles, TPMS systems were first seen in the US on some 1997 vehicles. Regardless, by September 1st 2007, all vehicles sold in the US must have tire pressure monitoring systems.

I will say that it's nice to have when I have a slow leak in my 2500 HD's tires. For a while I was picking up nails like crazy in them, and the system always let me know when they got low between regular pressure checks.

Why doesn't Big Brother enact something that would actually be useful in preventing so many crashes---A sensor that would disable the car when it picks up an outgoing cellphone signal. Give it a 60 second delay with verbal warning every 10 seconds.

If you really wanted to you could.....just get four used sensors and "mate" them to your car - every tire shop has these little handhelds that "mate" the sensors.... You do have to squeeze them though so that they "read" the pressure....in theory you could have four sensors in the glovebox tricking the system, if you swap wheels a lot then it may (maybe) make sense....

Just stop by a tire shop, have them remove the tire, clean and rebuild the sensor, remount and balance.... Should be around $40......

Last edited:
Why doesn't Big Brother enact something that would actually be useful in preventing so many crashes---A sensor that would disable the car when it picks up an outgoing cellphone signal. Give it a 60 second delay with verbal warning every 10 seconds.

The cellphone fix is simple. Make it shut off at speeds more than 10mph. The phone has GPS and could certainly tell if you are traveling in a car. Now that is something that might prevent crashes.

A tire monitoring sytem so that idiots who run over nails all the time can find out their tires are low? AND, you can't "opt out" of the system? Thats just nuts.

two words for you.....lobbyists and payoffs.....errr I mean donations made in Washington.

It's actually not all that bad, I don't have to grab the gauge anymore and walk around the car and check the pressure.... I can now simply read the tire pressures on the dash and when it goes below 30 I add air...... Alarm is at 26 I believe.

I think the system was made mandatory because of those morons who never check tire pressure, idiots who let the tire pressure go down to 20psi and then can't stop or turn ... Or wear the tire down because of the low pressure and then the tire blows and these idiots cause accidents and deaths....

A few morons F^*+ it up for everybody... Won't take too long and we'll have state inspections here because some people don't take care of their shit unless they're forced to.....

The TREAD act requires the installation of tire pressure monitoring systems that warn the driver when a tire is significantly under-inflated. It includes all passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000lbs or less. That includes almost all Passenger and Light Truck vehicles with the exception of vehicles with dual rear wheels. The TREAD Act is very specific in that a TPMS system need only warn the driver in the event that a tire is determined to be significantly under-inflated. According to the specifications of the Act, this could mean a tire would need to be under-inflated by as much as 25% before the TPMS telltale would alert the driver. The current TPMS mandate applies only to passenger cars, SUV's, vans and Light trucks below 10,000 lbs GVW. However a ?phase II? ruling covering vehicles heavier than 10,000 lbs is already in the works. Although the current mandate began with 2004 model year vehicles, TPMS systems were first seen in the US on some 1997 vehicles. Regardless, by September 1st 2007, all vehicles sold in the US must have tire pressure monitoring systems.

IF they really wanted to save gas, they would synch the lights to keep traffic moving, instead of red light to red light to red light....all timed to turn red in front of you.....

The TREAD act requires the installation of tire pressure monitoring systems that warn the driver when a tire is significantly under-inflated. It includes all passenger vehicles ..............

Thanks for posting this..I had no idea! I still pay for On-Star. Every month they send me an email with the status of my 08..including tire pressures! Their On-Star system interrogates my car's computers, with no knowledge on my part, until I get the email message!!!!

The cellphone fix is simple. Make it shut off at speeds more than 10mph. The phone has GPS and could certainly tell if you are traveling in a car. Now that is something that might prevent crashes.

A tire monitoring sytem so that idiots who run over nails all the time can find out their tires are low? AND, you can't "opt out" of the system? Thats just nuts.

These are terrible ideas.

A tire monitoring sytem so that idiots who run over nails all the time can find out their tires are low?

It's usually not easy to tell from a visual check if my 2500 HD's tires are low and need to be checked - 80psi HD truck tires will do that to you.

A tire monitoring sytem so that idiots who run over nails all the time can find out their tires are low?

It's usually not easy to tell from a visual check if my 2500 HD's tires are low and need to be checked - 80psi HD truck tires will do that to you.

I have a very slo leak in the Motor Home, inner tire....loses about ten lbs/month...but like most MH's it sets a while....so I just keep filling it....

the vette RR tire leaks a bit more, but they are tired tires so I just keep filling it once a week, till I get around to it....

:crap::pprrtt:

If you ignore the TPS it will stop dinging. I have an H3 Hummer, and when I go wheeling in the snow, I decrease the pressure to 8 psi. It does give up eventually.