Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Addict

My Photos: (0)

You'd better hose down that floor the morning you shoot paint, unless you want half of that dust in your clear coat.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 AM
United States | Addict

Quite right! And Thanx for the reminder.

I'm not yet to the Base/clear stage. I'm an amatuer and will be shooting Centari single stage accordingly.

The clear coat I've been taking off of this mess only reinforces my decision to stay away until I learn a LOT more.

Last edited by GT6Steve; 11-28-2009 at 01:28 AM..
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 AM
United States | Addict

The nasty clear coat on the drivers side has burnt me so I'm now doing extensive sanding there as well. And I'm freakin' tired. I'll go back to work tomorrow and this'll become a weekend endevour struggling for time with the others. I tried...
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Australia | Clueless In Sandland

My Photos: (334)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
Thanx Wayne,

I agree on both counts. I just got done shooting a couple coats of Glasso primer-filler on the front clip. Left the nose sitting for separate attention. I can shoot it with the primer separately when ready but I'll hang it and leave all the bolts loose for color coat. BTW, your efforts posted have been quite an inspiration, Thanx for your help.

Woke up this morning with my hands and shoulders aching from all the sanding. Head hurt a bit too but I don't believe that was from the sanding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
The nasty clear coat on the drivers side has burnt me so I'm now doing extensive sanding there as well. And I'm freakin' tired. I'll go back to work tomorrow and this'll become a weekend endevour struggling for time with the others. I tried...
I used to paint cars years ago, before I came out to Saudi but I've never worked on a fiberglass car before and what I used to know about paint has all changed! I'm pleased that I still seem to "have it" when it comes to doing the body work - time will tell when the colour goes on I guess! Glad I've been an inspiration for you though Steve.

It can be hard yakka though, especially when you're not used to it - leaning over or stretching at weird angles, using muscles in your arms in weird ways, fingertips getting sore. Plus, we're doing this in our spare time - we've already worked our day or week then we go and get pretty physical with a (nearly) 30 year old piece of fiberglass!

The pics look good so far mate, any more progress or new pics?
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Wayne Of Arabia,

Sand Happy

----->[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]<-----
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 AM
United States | Addict

I took Saturday and Sunday off to practice aluminum TIG welding so I can add a sunburned hand to the aches and pains. I was welding without a right glove to work the handle rheostat. I now have a set of Tillman TIG gloves

Have to buy a lot more abrasives to continue the welding.

As for the Vette, I may come out OK on the drivers side. A bit of sanding Sunday afternoon SEEMED to get me back into the well stuck stuff. We'll see as I try to feather it in. I may just continue to sluff off as I go but perhaps not. We'll see come the weekend. Probably no progress during the week because of the ten hour workdays.

I'll post a pic when there's progress
Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM

I remember "teaching" myself to arc weld years ago and discovering the nice healthy tan that goes with it. Of course, by healthy tan I mean being lobster red on any part of my body that wasn't covered
Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 PM
United States | Addict

Damn does that new HVLP gun move the paint! First time I used it I had a stuttering that was attributed to low air pressure by the Rep. I may have had too much air this time but by Gawd it was working as fast as I could.

Got a big curtain on the nearside wing but nothing I can't fix. The texture you see is from me mopping up some excess with masking tape.

Overall, it's satisfactory. Tons of little divots I missed in primer (??????) that only seem to show up in paint. But then I was sick of sanding, it's only a tartup! >

Last edited by GT6Steve; 12-06-2009 at 07:46 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM

What sort of gun did you get? Looking nice and shiny now...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
United States | Addict

It's a Sharpe Cobalt.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I bought it a few years ago to paint the racer but today was the first time it worked like I'd expect. I'll turn the delivery screw down a bit and maybe need a smaller nozzle. I was able to keep up with the delivery no problem, don't know what happened on the right side. Must've let my mind wander...

It looks good overall with all of the masking stripped, shows how dingy and horrible the old look was. I'll append a pic as soon as the camera charges...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 AM
United States | Addict

OK guys,

Here's where we're at this moment, I need some help.

If there is an artist in the house their input would be precious...

Front clip looks good, some repair work but overall good.

I envision something like the Motion stripe on the rear coming down into the two tone paint scheme the factory offered. I also picture I should pick a paint that reflects the glass T-tops for color making it a dark silver grey. This is where the artistry comes in, which I definately lack.

Anybody know a color that matches/complements the T-tops?

What do ya think of my idea? Too much? Too busy?? Or boring? All opinions welcomed and considered.