Horn question

73vert

My 73 convertible was beat up, poorly repaired, and hacked on good before I bought her, so total frame off resto. Heading down the final stretch now and it ain't been easy, something every step of the way. When I took it apart there were 2 horns bolted up near the lower valance on the frame section that is part of the bumper reinforcement. One had the factory connection plugged in while the other was spliced into the same wire going to the first horn. The AIM manual shows one horn bolted in the nose, center of hood. Neither of the horns I have, both with delco remey logos, fit as the manual shows. I don't believe either are correct. When searching for a replacement all I find are generic ones, seems the 73 is unique with he one, other years have 2, a high and low note, so any suggestions, generic, high or low note? See nothing factory replacement? No luck finding used 73 specific.

I believe they had only one horn. My car was pretty stock when I got it and only had one as the AIM showed. I had another one from a junk yard years ago I added. It was a typical GM horn, the low note one, with a typical universal type mount bracket. I bolted it on to the vacuum tank bracket using a double spade connector to the original horn wire. The high/low notes give it a much more powerful sound than the single high note which sounds like an apologetic bleat.

A horn is a horn. Unless you are after an NCRS points car, I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, the dual horn sound is much more powerful.

A horn is a horn. Unless you are after an NCRS points car, I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, the dual horn sound is much more powerful.

Absolutely. I'm not even sure improving a safety feature would lose you any brownie points with the NCRS police. Like putting seat belts in a car that never came with them (as far as I know) isn't a sin.