window tinting

7t9l82

had an estimate of 499 dollars to tint my 79 i know its a pain to do but is it me or is that really high? anyone know a good tinter near melbourne fl?:bonkers:

That's what they call the "go away" price ....

I shouldn't be more than $150 and there are plenty of mobile services around Orlando ...

I paid $80 for the two windows on my C6, slipped the guy another $20 for the small convertible rear glass ... He did it in my driveway, tint looks good and is in there since 2008... The guy only spoke Spanish, no English ..... Lol

The compound curve in the 78 & up rear glass is a real pain to apply the tint to. I had mine done by a local shop while the glass was out of the car. The guy there said he couldn't imagine trying to apply the tint if the window was installed.

The guy that quoted you $499 must know this.

Rear Window Tint - Late model C3

When I brought the '78 home from Germany and was stationed in FL - I needed the same thing. Many DIY approaches were "paneled" with tint material overlays and looked like 5h1T! Then I found a drop in place piece of dark tinted perspex/lexan/poly I don't recall - that was over 30 years ago. (Do I sound like Gene? OMG!)
Any way, I bet on LEXAN - but the tint may be tough to order. The piece came rolled up, unrolled beautifully and fit like it was made for the job. When in place, tension from the shape of the window, and the lower rear storage valance. Bet you could fab one for a lot less than those prices. Mind you, there was some space between the insert and the window but it was DARK and cool in the FL Summer Sun!

Cheers - Jim

i figured it was a pain job but still I'm not paying five hundred bucks. any way a friend of mine said that the guy who tinted stuff for me in the past is now out of jail and he will do it next week. can't say much about his lifestyle but he is an excellent tinter.:yahoo:

When I brought the '78 home from Germany and was stationed in FL - I needed the same thing. Many DIY approaches were "paneled" with tint material overlays and looked like 5h1T! Then I found a drop in place piece of dark tinted perspex/lexan/poly I don't recall - that was over 30 years ago. (Do I sound like Gene? OMG!)
Any way, I bet on LEXAN - but the tint may be tough to order. The piece came rolled up, unrolled beautifully and fit like it was made for the job. When in place, tension from the shape of the window, and the lower rear storage valance. Bet you could fab one for a lot less than those prices. Mind you, there was some space between the insert and the window but it was DARK and cool in the FL Summer Sun!

Cheers - Jim

I had one of these Lexan inserts for my '78 Camaro way back when as well. (But I'm not nearly as OLD as Gene.) :smash: It did work well, except that there was some optical distortion as I recall.

I think that Ecklers may still sell this part

Make sure the film the guy uses is color stable. The dyed films are much easier to shape, but most will start fading in a few years with the Florida sun. Metalized and ceramic films are the way to go these days. And if you have an air compressor, get some windex, soak down the rubber gasket that seals the back window and then blow it out. Watch how much dirt comes out :twitch::thumbs:

job done! got someone thru a friend $200.00 did a nice job said we will do it when you get here. i was pleased and they took pictures and asked if they could use it in there advertising, i was very flattered. lifetime warranty on labor and material. so with $299.00 dollars left over from the first estimate i bought an aluminum radiator AND still have money left.SCORE one for me!:thankyou: :thumbs:

Haha.... They should advertise "C3 window tint, $200...... Comes with a free aluminum radiator"

They took lots of pics?? Did you take any? Post a few......

2013-09-05_08-10-09_107.jpg

sorry the lighting is bad but you get the idea. getting clear tint and tint strip for windshield that helps with heat also doing glass tops with clear film. :trumpet:

job done! got someone thru a friend $200.00 did a nice job said we will do it when you get here. i was pleased and they took pictures and asked if they could use it in there advertising, i was very flattered. lifetime warranty on labor and material. so with $299.00 dollars left over from the first estimate i bought an aluminum radiator AND still have money left.SCORE one for me!:thankyou: :thumbs:

I thought I was the only one with that kind of economic logic!

My '79 needs retinting, my back window is peeling.

yesterday i went back and had the clear heat reflective film put on the windshield i can't believe a clear tint would do anything but it does, definitely keeps the heat out . next big project is fixing the a/c , all this film should help keep it cooler. now,,, back to installing my free radiator:rofl:

The guys who installed my tint on my Mustang showed me a few different tinying foils and used a heat lamp to demonstrate the heat reflection - it was quiet amazing .... That's a shop near Atlanta, They charged me $160 for removing the old film, clezn windows and install new film , they did a great job. I chose one of the medium priced films, the most expensive one was a real heat blocker when comparing it to the other films but it would have cost $300 ....

They showed me the clear film for the windshield too, it's great stuff, never expected a clear film to make a difference ....

you know i was very surprised after the rain cleared i took the car for a ride, i used to have to run with both windows down an yesterday i had 1 down and was cooler. after the radiator gets replaced ill fix that stupid a/c.:trumpet: