Fuel cell

MYBAD79

The aftermarket repro tanks don't seem to fit all that well and the later style don't have the bladder as fas as I know..... So here's my question: these fuel cells seem to be much better quality, you can get these in aluminum so rust is no longer a issue ..... 20 gallon should be more than enough, what size/brand fits good with how much effort ?? I assume no fuel cell is a direct fit bolt in .... Fabbing a support frame is no big deal but what about the inlet fuel filler ????

Reason I'm asking is that my tank is 30+ years old and I dunno when the time comes to replace it..... I don't see any disadvantage using a fuel cell other than the spare tire won't fit :)

If using a fuel cell I'll probably also lower it a little so there "should" be space for a flexible filler neck on top.....

Last edited:
when I did my tank, one of the issues was the filler. The C3 filler is held in place by the tank and it's very close to the deck. With me, that meant buying a specter fuel filler, getting fuel filler hose, dropping the tank (which was the original reason I did this) and then connecting it all....

it's not cheap or easy.... IMO worth it because it lowers the tank to in front of the crash bar, and lowers the CG as well

I see the bladders are about $400, however, the stock style repro replacement tank does not have a bladder either..... it's just welded sheetmetal, at least the POS that a friend of mine installed last year. The Summit $250 alu fuel cell seems to be a much better option than that, at least it won't rust.....

Mine is a stock '72 tank, no bladder, was replaced some 20+++ years ago by previous owner, no rust so far....and yes, I do look.....

:cool:

HOW EVER, I do look at these jacked up pickups to popular here, and wonder, especially after my wife got slammed at 45 mph, lost her car over it and in the hospital for 6.5 hours....still hurting.....she was stopped in a line of traffic, at least the cop wrote it up in her favor, not that it matters....

:crap:

I have used POR 15 tank clean and seal kit with great success on my VW tank and I would probably use it on a new repro tank as well, it coats the inside with a fuel resistant epoxy type paint - i "tested" some leftover coating and even paint stripper doesn't kill it.... Seems to be good stuff

Do you have to use a bladder with these aluminum fuel cells? I mean the repro sheetmetal crap tank doesn't use one ..... I have a compressor and could even pressure test it...

If you took a new alu fuel cell and use the POR 15 on it - just to make sure it wont leak, instead of a bladder, ok or not ??

The alu tank is just a container, the bladdet is the actual fuel cell and pretty much puncture proof. Would not run without one.

The alu tank is just a container, the bladdet is the actual fuel cell and pretty much puncture proof. Would not run without one.

Yeh, be nice, but on my '72....does anyone make a grenade proof bladder for this tank, ??? :crutches:

Hey, in Summit's description of the fuel cell it says it has foam inside.... How does this work with a bladder ??? Are these designed to be used without a bladder ???

Hey, in Summit's description of the fuel cell it says it has foam inside.... How does this work with a bladder ??? Are these designed to be used without a bladder ???

Foam is too stop slosh. Most of the jegs summit cells are drag race, no bladder

I put a 8 gal in on the factory bracket, it lines up with the fill plate.

8 gallon is a little small for me ... my mileage is probably a lot better than yours LOL

I saw this 18 gallon cell that seems to come complete with bladder and foam.... not cheap though..... a little more than twice what the ill fitting repro tank cost.....

well, for now my tank is ok... hopefully I won't need a replacement any time soon but I like to be "prepared"

http://www.colemanracing.com/Fuel-Cell-18-Gallon-Polyethylene-Bladder-P4356.aspx

Check out speedway motors. I just did a quick check, and they carry 169 different tanks. Some of the imca approved units might work.

I've found some good items there.