new radiator.

7t9l82

i was joking about a free radiator with $ 499.00 window tint, but the money i saved over that price i got a champion aluminum 3 row aluminum. it seems well contructed and nicely finished. everything fit very well, and the install went as smoothly as it can. it cools the car far better than the original unit that was still in the car. i got it thru radiator galaxy on e bay they were easy to deal with overall i am very pleased, now if this one lasts 34 years.....:noworry:

no epoxy anywhere.the neck is billet, not cheap garbage 219.00 shipped to florida . company is west coast. definitely cools the car much better.

Aluminum radiators are offered by Summit, Jegs, northern radiators, Griffin , etc, many are between $159 and $199, they advertise "fully welded, no epoxy".
Previous owner bought a aluminum radiator for the '79, good quality but the lower hose is pointed straight, not "up" - judging by the catalogs all of these radiators are like that.

Can you post a photo of the lower connection on the passenger side?

i could try to get a shot of it but as tight as that area is i don't know how much detail would come thru. the champion radiator is pointed up and fit the hose very nicely. i really could not believe how nice this unit is. and radiator galaxy apparently pressure tests each of these before they ship them in addition to what the manufacturer does.

Found a few photos of the radiator online, the lower connection is correct to fit the C3. They seem to have it only with the transmission cooler , not without ??? which one did you buy? Manual or auto trans ???

7t9l82:

You got a Champion 3 core all aluminum rad with oil cooler shipped to your Florida address for $219.00? If so than that's a great price. I'll assume you have a/c?

Didn't the factory a/c our model years have 4 core rads? I did a search for "Champion Aluminum 4 core/row radiators" and didn't find anything.

EDIT:

I found one for $274.95 including oil cooler, rad cap, and it's 4 row/core. It claims it's for a big block but I'm sure it won't be a problem for small block, call it insurance.....?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-74-75-76-Chevy-Corvette-4-ROW-Champion-Radiator-MC478-/151110908375#ht_5806wt_1310

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
yes mine has a/c . I'm not sure i think my old one was 4 core but there are so many variables i consider it meaningless. this aluminum unit cools more than the old one ever did, alloy radiators transfer heat much better. after pulling out the factory issued unit i understood that feeling that i needed to do it now. its a 3 core. i think a 4 core would be too fat.

I haven't seen any listing for a 3 core without the trans cooler (I have a 5spd trans) ...... maybe I need to give them a call, I'd really like to have a radiator that has the correct connection (pointing "up")....

I know what you mean about wanting the lower hose neck to be pointing up. I bought a universal fit alum. rad and had to go with a flexible metal hose for the bottom. It was worth the effort, it does a great job of cooling!

I'm hoping some of these problems have been corrected on the newer Champion, 3 row/core, 4 row/core radiators. In my case it's for a 75'

The lower radiator hose connection on the passenger side, points straight instead of in the up direction as per OEM. From what I've read this problem has been corrected on recent purchases.

On automatic trans, you can't use the connections on the Champion rad's which is why they offer a free transmission cooler with purchase.

The petcock is on the driver's side and interfered with the radiator support whereas oem is on the passenger side.

The 4 core/row is too wide for the small block motor, which to me doesn't really make sense, but I have read this, without any photo proof.

Below is the online photo, which does show the lower rad hose in the correct position but the petcock is on the wrong side. Also I do see the auto transmission in/out lines but they seem to be capped and not threaded.

I don't know if the photo is what is being shipped or just a standard photo.

478%20W.jpg

i have the three core, my lower hose connection pointed up and actually lined up better with the hose than the factory radiator. my transmission cooler lines screwed right in and the petcock was on the passenger side right where my factory one was. now, i will say the three core is a little thicker but fit right in. i really can't envision a 4 row being an easy fit. your comments on the 4 row are spot on, a friend has that radiator and has the same problems, i would check and see if the problem has been corrected. but if you try a new 4 core check it as soon as you get it and return it if it won't work. but judging by mine i would say the problem has been addressed.

i just sent an email to radiator galaxy for comment, i will post any response

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply 7t9l82;

Sounds as though all the problems have been corrected, with possibly the 4 core/row being the only remaining concern.

This is my situation; I live near Toronto Ontario Canada and take several trips across the border to take advantage of the lower prices including Vette Parts. My next order was going to be for an aluminum radiator, although I won't be installing it until mid next year due to my present body off progress. With that being said I wouldn't be able to gauge fitment until next year.

There was one purchase from a fellow member as recently as last year on the Champion 3 core where the pet cock was still on the driver's side.

I also wanted to get the 4 core since I'd like to use the OEM fan and clutch assembly rather than go with the single or dual fan set up. The way I look at it is, I've heard a lot about overheating Vette's but not much on the "my Vette runs too cool.

I look forward to any response from Galaxy.

well, its the nature of the beast that corvettes run hot. but mine is cooler now and im in florida , i doubt you would put that much demand on yours. i want to make sure all this stuff has been rectified across the board. i think you are wise to wait until you are close to installing the radiator . a friend of mine had the 4 row and i could see it was all wrong, i think he had it for a long time in the box and never looked at it . he went through another e bay seller and wasn't that helpful. the people i got mine from were the best e bay people I've delt with ,amazon i think does a better job.

got an email and radiator galaxy is on vacation, will be back in a few days.
i called champion and was told they did have issues with the 4 core unit some time ago but they made corrections, and have had issues only on cars with other issues like bent frame body damage etc. the 4 core doesn't sell as well as the 3 core. i would still say check any radiator as soon as you get it in case there is an issue. these are hand made so there could be some variation unit to unit.