C3 caliper Clearance

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Is the stock caliper on a C3 behind the wheel mounting surface (of the rotor hat) or is it proud of that surface? Dimension "A"

brembo-caliper-measurement-guide.png

Just noticed this thread. I've got the stock frame/chassis sitting in a corner of the shop. I can make that measurement if it's still needed. If so, front, back, or both axles if the hat offset/depth is different.

Lemme know.

Thanks. Front or back is good. I'm pretty sure the caliper (on a C3) is not proud of the wheel mount surface but need to confirm.

I think I just realized what you're asking--By "proud" do you mean sticks out beyond? Yes, the C3 caliper sticks out beyond the wheel mount surface by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. That's why the C3s have wheels different than drum brake cars of the period. By the time other models got disc brakes, they had changed the design of the caliper to where typical wheels would fit.

I think I just realized what you're asking--By "proud" do you mean sticks out beyond? Yes, the C3 caliper sticks out beyond the wheel mount surface by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. That's why the C3s have wheels different than drum brake cars of the period. By the time other models got disc brakes, they had changed the design of the caliper to where typical wheels would fit.

That's right. Probably a poor choice of words. I think it's an old architectural term. I am old but not an architect!

That A measure you looking for seems to be about 3/4 inch on my car so going to say it's one inch to be safe......

I have '89 vette rims on it with VBP 2.5 inch adapters, so same wheel center line......I did this measure looking through the wheel with a tape and flashlight if you need more precise, lemme know.....:flash:

That "1/4 to 3/8" I stated above is from memory of several years ago when I was looking for new wheels (I just wanted plain black steelies). I used a profile guage to make a tracing onto cardboard which I carried with me for quite a while to check against various wheels. Thinking back on it, I wouldn't guarantee that measurement now, but I do know it protruded. I think Gene is closer.

Last edited:
I get 5/8" outward on both front and rear calipers, even with the different shapes of the fronts and backs, which I never really paid much attention to before.

I did not want to say anything less than 3/4 and when measuring again, best I could I went conservative......:bounce: