Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
United States | SCUMBAG

My Photos: (0)
Default 50 dollar paint job challenge....

let's go get some rustoleum enamel and see what colors can be mixed up using the basic colors that are available at home depot or somewhere. I think I am going to work on Green apple. Called my local paint guru today and he told me that they actually make enamel clear, never would have thought it. One thing though, if you mix up a color you have to post the recipe, that way everyone benefits from it. Pics are mandatory. We will let an unbiased layperson be the judge of the custom colors. Whichever color is chosen, i will paint my project car with it........how's that for a payoff...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
United States | Fast Pedalphile

My Photos: (1)

Someone did this back on the CF - painted their car with rustoleum and a roller. It was yellow if I remember correctly.

Resident Deviate
Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 AM
United States | SCUMBAG

I have read all the articles on it. I am interested in creativity here. i don't think I will roll it on, but i am going to give it a shot.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Rustoleum will work but with very cheap urethane paint on the market (both single stage and base/clear) I wonder why you would use it.... in my opinion, the ONLY reason is if you don't want to spray and use a roller instead. Obviously rolling it will not produce any overspray but wetsanding will be very messy and labor intensive.

You can get single stage urethane paint from Summit for under $100 a gallon, I think it's like $80 plus activator and thinner....maybe $120 shipped...

here's the paint:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

I have this old primarily white camper from '71, it's going to be painted, and with Rustoleum white, and so it seems Acetone thinner, top/sides/steel/aluminum/fiberglass, ALL of it....except the obvious parts....

going to take some coats to cover the orange, unless wife wants black accents....

happening sometime in the next few months....sooner the better....

as for the vette, I dun messed that up enough....it is what it IS and not another ounce of effort....piss on it...

gets noticed and thumbs up as a even 10-10 car.....so that's plenty good enough for me....

I am curious as to what transpires on this thread, though....

Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 AM
United States | SCUMBAG

ok lets go ahead and get this out of the way. I have the skills and funds required to paint this car with anything I choose to. I have a downdraft paint booth in my shop. I owned a body shop and when I sold the business I kept the booth. I can apply the highest quality paint job to this car that is possible with todays PPG paints and modern chemistry. I am CHOOSING to paint this car with rustoleum. I have seen (in person) 2 vehicles painted in this fashion and can tell you it is stunning. i openly invite anyone to judge the two that I have seen against anyones paint job, and I think you will be surprised at the outcome. So lets stop with the low cost alternatives using different methods. I thought this would be an interesting way to get some folks involved and interested in having fun with a car again. It is just a car! I am very tempted to paint this car gloss black and park it next to my 79 that has the best paint that money will buy. Then a real comparison can be made. Some people cannot get past the idea that if it doesn't cost a lot of money it can't be good. People who can't do for themselves have paid for two of my houses and lots of cars over the years, I want to do this to see if I can do it and make the paint nazi's scratch their heads.

Now then..........I started playing with this earlier today and got a very nice lime green from the sunshine yellow and navy blue. I went a little too far though, I wanted something more like a green apple. try again tomorrow. snakeater
Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

I LOVE your attitude man, this should be good, all I did was shoot the car in the garage, and somehow the chemistry fucked me good, dunno how or why, just did....

at any rate, I wonder how to introduce a metallic into the paint.....may as well go full hog....I know from years ago it was possible to buy powdered aluminum from a chemical supply house, it WAS fine enough for metallic paint additive....

but that was decades ago before idiots started making bombs, our bombs were safe enough.....

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
I LOVE your attitude man, this should be good, all I did was shoot the car in the garage, and somehow the chemistry fucked me good, dunno how or why, just did....

at any rate, I wonder how to introduce a metallic into the paint.....may as well go full hog....I know from years ago it was possible to buy powdered aluminum from a chemical supply house, it WAS fine enough for metallic paint additive....

but that was decades ago before idiots started making bombs, our bombs were safe enough.....

You can still buy metallic solids and perals to add in paint...comes in all colors and sizes..I have used the metalics but never the perals so can't speak for them...the metalics do work nice with the right size spray tip..

Last edited by jpetrick; 06-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
United States | SCUMBAG

If I do end up shooting a clear enamel over whatever color I choose, then they could be added to it very easily. Adding them to the basecoat expecting to have to wetsand it kinda tricky. You will inevitably sand some of the metallics in it, which look kinds wierd until they are sanded out. Not the best idea. Metallics in the clear will work just fine with this style of paint. Pearls would do well in the enamel(I think) have to try some. I have some PPG pearl around here somewhere. Snakeater
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

I bought some pearl and flakes that can be added to the clearcoat from paintwithpearls on Ebay, good stuff....

If you use clear enamel, would you still wetsand the basecoat ? I would add the flakes to the first clearcoat, then topcoat at least another two coats so that there's enough material for sanding and buffing without exposing the flakes... depends on flake size as well...