Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
DeeVeeEight's Avatar
DeeVeeEight DeeVeeEight is offline
United States | Fast Pedalphile
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,286
My Photos: (1)
Default

Here's the passenger side and some close ups of the damaged areas.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Any suggestions on how to repair the cracks is appreciated.
__________________
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes....

Resident Deviate
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 PM
DeeVeeEight's Avatar
DeeVeeEight DeeVeeEight is offline
United States | Fast Pedalphile
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,286
My Photos: (1)
Default

I started the fiberglass repairs yesterday. Where I could I simply sanded off all of the old body filler so I could get to the base of whatever repairs had been made. I found that only about half of the old repairs had been done correctly, most were just bondo'ed over. The area over the back wheel had a crack that went all the way through the panel. I ground the area around the crack down far enough to allow me to lay in several pieces of fiberglass.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also had to remove several broken chunks of glass and plastic at the front corner. I was able to insert fiberglass behing the damaged area as well as on the surface, hopefully it will provide a strong and lasting repair.
[IMG][/IMG]

This area was cracked through and had no support. If you applied pressure to the top of the panel the crack would open up. I again sanded it all down to the bare fiberglass, then I put two layers of fiberglass behind the damaged panel to strengthen the area. After that I simply layered the glass on top. You can also see where I have filled the holes from the spoiler mounts. Today I will sand down the glass repairs and start with the body filler.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I am looking for advice on block sanding. I have a 20 gal. air compressor that I can use for air tools. What kind of block sanders do you all recommend?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
gkz's Avatar
gkz gkz is offline
United States | Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 105
My Photos: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeVeeEight View Post
I started the fiberglass repairs yesterday. Where I could I simply sanded off all of the old body filler so I could get to the base of whatever repairs had been made. I found that only about half of the old repairs had been done correctly, most were just bondo'ed over. The area over the back wheel had a crack that went all the way through the panel. I ground the area around the crack down far enough to allow me to lay in several pieces of fiberglass.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also had to remove several broken chunks of glass and plastic at the front corner. I was able to insert fiberglass behing the damaged area as well as on the surface, hopefully it will provide a strong and lasting repair.
[IMG][/IMG]

This area was cracked through and had no support. If you applied pressure to the top of the panel the crack would open up. I again sanded it all down to the bare fiberglass, then I put two layers of fiberglass behind the damaged panel to strengthen the area. After that I simply layered the glass on top. You can also see where I have filled the holes from the spoiler mounts. Today I will sand down the glass repairs and start with the body filler.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I am looking for advice on block sanding. I have a 20 gal. air compressor that I can use for air tools. What kind of block sanders do you all recommend?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

These work well, especially the round one and 1/3 size. Tracdogg told me to use a coke can and paint sticks--they work fantastic, and cheaper. A body shop friend gave me the durablocks, but I was satified with Tracdogg's method.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
1Michel 1Michel is offline
Canada | Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saint Joseph du lac, Québec
Posts: 1,523
My Photos: (494)
Default

Question, is tracdog the same guy who is helping Stigner with his build?
I think his name's Mike
__________________
Eat dessert first! life's unexpected!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM
mrvette's Avatar
mrvette mrvette is offline
United States | Phantom of the Opera
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 15,286
My Photos: (3)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Michel View Post
Question, is tracdog the same guy who is helping Stigner with his build?
I think his name's Mike
Yes, and more patience than a saint I may add.....course it's easy with a guy dedicated like Stinger.....quick studies with 1/2 a brain+ are always welcome.....

__________________
"Hell, there are no rules here ... we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
I have a little list, let ALL of them be MIST......
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM
denpo's Avatar
denpo denpo is offline
Canada | Carburated Nihilist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 2,525
My Photos: (496)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Michel View Post
Question, is tracdog the same guy who is helping Stigner with his build?
I think his name's Mike
Also he runs a [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] with awesome prices, just ordered from him this morning.
__________________
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”
-Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
DeeVeeEight's Avatar
DeeVeeEight DeeVeeEight is offline
United States | Fast Pedalphile
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,286
My Photos: (1)
Default

Thanks for the link for the durablocks. Is power sanding at this stage not recommended? I am finished with the repairs of the broken 'glass and am ready for body filler.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 AM
denpo's Avatar
denpo denpo is offline
Canada | Carburated Nihilist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 2,525
My Photos: (496)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeVeeEight View Post


[IMG][/IMG]
Aren't you supposed to use fiber mat rather than cloth when doing repairs on a Vette?
Read somewhere that cloth weaving patterns shows up thru the paint.
Is that true?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
DeeVeeEight's Avatar
DeeVeeEight DeeVeeEight is offline
United States | Fast Pedalphile
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,286
My Photos: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeVeeEight View Post


[IMG][/IMG]
Aren't you supposed to use fiber mat rather than cloth when doing repairs on a Vette?
Read somewhere that cloth weaving patterns shows up thru the paint.
Is that true?
This is an old repair that a PO did. I have been using the chopped strand fiberglass.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-30-2010, 11:12 PM
stinger12's Avatar
stinger12 stinger12 is offline
Canada | Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 832
My Photos: (0)
Default

Get rid of the old repairs and redo them. For all you know the previous owner could have been eating greasy KFC as he was doing the repairs.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 AM.
 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.