Modifying L88 hood to raise center

It's resin rich but I don't have a vacuum bag setup or a mold where you can use little resin and a roller. Doing it with the tape as a backing requires more resin to properly soak the matte. That car isn't on a diet, don't care about weight, as long as the injection fits under the hood.

Lay the matte on a sheet of plastic and soak it with resin........roll 3 layers
together then pick it up and apply it to the back of your panel. Once it cures
flip the panel over and you shouldn't have any problems using a roller on the
outside to get a smooth lay-up.

I know, that's how I made a bunch of stuff like custom rocker panels, a custom airbox, my smoothed out firewall and much more but this was the easiest way to get that hood done. With the small sections which are glassed in the weight difference would hardly be noticable and where the resin was puddled on thick I later ground/sanded it all off.

Smoothed out firewall with a bunch of crap removed (bonding strips)

firewallpoltix1.jpg

Here's the custom heater box, it once was a 2pcl AC box, now a 1 pc custom w/ revised anti surge hose, blower resistor and heat sensor locations.

5mcpl2.jpg

Oh, didn't assume you were :) it was good advice. See the plastic tape under the areas where the cleco-ed aluminium strips are holding the pieces up You can just see some translucent plastic there. That's what I use, it comes on rolls and is nice thick plastic and the resin doesn't stick to it too well (it's kind of waxy on the surface), after curing that stuff peels off real easy. That's the stuff I use to make flat sheets.

If an Electronics bubba can do it anyone can. :noworry: It has been a while since I tackled my hood, and I didn't take any detailed pictures of the process, but I did it much like TT shows. I choose to raise the outside of the L-88 hump raising it and moving it back to keep the correct profile. I had to raise it ~1.5" to correct for my "Engineering Over site". I neglected to account for the fact that carburetor intakes are leveled while the RamJet intake maintains the engine installation angel. When I projected the aircleaner clearance forward off the top ..... walla big screwup :smash: I didn't have anyone around here to warn me then :wink: I either had to cut down the RamJet intake tunnels or take an axe to my old Eckler hood. I chose the later. Here are the pics I posted way back when.....

hood%20underside%20(Small).JPG

Hood%20top%20cut%20(Small).JPG

Before

MVC-047X%20(Small).JPG

After

MVC-763F.JPG

Bullshark

P.S. Vanacor did not offer their "raised hood" back when I did mine. Besides I like the profile of mine better! :wink: But I'm probably biased after doing all the work

Last edited:
If an Electronics bubba can do it anyone can. :noworry: It has been a while since I tackled my hood, and I didn't take any detailed pictures of the process, but I did it much like TT shows. I choose to raise the outside of the L-88 hump raising it and moving it back to keep the correct profile. I had to raise it ~1.5" to correct for my "Engineering Over site". I neglected to account for the fact that carburetor intakes are leveled while the RamJet intake maintains the engine installation angel. When I projected the aircleaner clearance forward off the top ..... walla big screwup :smash: I didn't have anyone around here to warn me then :wink: I either had to cut down the RamJet intake tunnels or take an axe to my old Eckler hood. I chose the later. Here are the pics I posted way back when.....

hood%20underside%20(Small).JPG

Hood%20top%20cut%20(Small).JPG

Before

MVC-047X%20(Small).JPG

After

MVC-763F.JPG

Bullshark

P.S. Vanacor did not offer their "raised hood" back when I did mine. Besides I like the profile of mine better! :wink: But I'm probably biased after doing all the work

Yes, that does look VERY nice. Great job.:thumbs: