installing a big block in an 84 vette

working on the car again

how time flies, it seems just last christmas i was working on my car and now again. the only time i have a whole week to work on the car is between christmas and new years. anyway to update, i fired the engine up for the first time yesterday, it was loud, no exhaust and open headers! had the radiator modified to fit better but am still having trouble finding a lower rad hose that will fit. i also need help with the wiring, does anyone have a wiring diagram for an 84 corvette including the ecu wiring ? i'm looking for something more detailed that will show me where the sensors gauges and fuel pump relay tie into the ecu. also any idea how much pressure the stock fuel pump produces? i was going to use it with my carb and reg if it's not too high. thanks, pics on the way.

went to my favourite dealer and bought a shop manual reproduction with every kind of diagram available. actually the above diagrams are from that manual, and there's even a fold out schematic of the complete car, thanks for the info twin turbo, i really appreciate it. here's the latest pics of the engine in the car. i got a lower rad hose kit on the way, it's a metal tube you have to fab up so it fits but it should work.

Attachments

• IMG_6540.JPG
    IMG_6540.JPG
    517.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    505.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6542.JPG
    IMG_6542.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6543.JPG
    IMG_6543.JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6544.JPG
    IMG_6544.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Ripper, nice project! I recently put a big block in my 81, and I love it! I noticed in your pics that you don't have the hose that goes from the top of the water pump to the intake installed. Is there a particular reason you did that? According to TwinTurbo (who's pretty knowledgeable!), that hose helps prevent water pump cavitation and helps the cooling system work properly. I've put it on the big blocks I've done and don't have any cooling issues at all.

i did not know that, the hose is blocked off because i had a different water pump before and coolant routed from the back of the intake ( performer rpm has extra coolant holes at the back) it's not shown in these pics. anyway i just test fired the engine in the car for the first time so it's messy looking, i have a lot of wiring and cooling and fuel to reroute before it's ready to drive. my next biggesr problem is a lower rad hose that will have to go around the framesupport right in front of the water pump. i have to swap the valve covers around so the pcv valve works, i have a new fuel line for the carb and i'm relocating the regulator, i'm also talking to an instrument tech to see if i can get my stock gauges rechipped so they read up to 199mph instead of only 80mph. last pic shows the modified headers (flanges are twisted) to clear the floor and trans.

Last edited: