C6 Magnaflow bullets

MYBAD79

OK, finally I cut the stock mufflers off and installed Magnaflow bullets. I only tack welded it in place and ran out of daylight today, will finish up tomorrow.
here are a few pics :

Stock mufflers with silly tips:

IM004638nnnnn.jpg
Stock mufflers removed:
IM004641nnnnnn.jpg

new mufflers:
IM004631Small.jpg
new tips:
e077_1.jpg
inside of new bullet mufflers:
IM004632Small.jpg
tack welded in place.... need to final adjust the hangers and weld all the way around.... will do that tomorrow....

IM004644nnnnnn.jpg
so far so good....
IM004648nnnnn.jpg
photoshopped license plate:
IM004647nnnnnn.jpg

They have a great product karsten. I know you'll like them. I'm convinced they flow the best.

Hey Jeff ... looking at that 2.5" diameter hole I have no doubt that they flow good :D:D:D

... I don't expect them to muffle a whole lot ... :lol:

I've got those on my C3 - they are a little louder than flowmaster 40's but they sound good. I got used to the sound inside the car but I was deaf anyway.

Finished welding and sprayed some high temp silver on the ugly welds... it's not easy tackwelding it upside down under the car and trying to get everything lined up at the same time... oh well.... It's carbon steel pipe to a 400 series stainless muffler to a 304 tip... I welded with 308 wire, it sure didn't like the carbon steel, had to grind quiet a bit to make it look half way decent....

Magnaflow mufflers from Summit: $67 each plus $11.99 s/h --- $146
Stainless tips off Ebay $60

Total cost of the project: roughly $240 incl wire and hangers and flapper disc to clean up the welds.... not bad at all....

IM004649Small.jpg

IM004651Small.jpg

IM004652Small.jpg

Last edited:
Those magnaflows, are they 409 stainless? Are you sure, because 409 is titanium stabilized ferritic steel, the 3xx series stainless are chromium austenitic. 409 is the scale forming/rusty look stainless that's commonly used for factory headers and cat cons.

It's looking good! :thumbs:

Here's a mean comment: learn how to weld cleanly and you can save yourself the flapper disc LOL :D

The mufflers are magnetic, I'm guessing some low grade 400 series stainless with 10% Cr ... barely good enough to be considered stainless.... The outer layer might be 304 sheetmetal just for the high luster polished look. For $67 I did not expect it to be 100% 304SS. The SLP loudmouth resonator and the Borla mufflers are 304 but those bullets are $150 each...

Hey, those welds are not all that bad considering I closed a 1/4" gap :eek:

MY memory is lousey, so what series stainless IS it that is NOT USED in gun manufacturing?? ONE of the two.....300 series, or 500 series can NOT be seen by a walk through metal detector, but I forget which series.....

I THINK they use 400 series for guns, and ONE of the others also, but under international/federal laws even the Russians adhere to says to NOT use the series that can't be seen.....

I used to know but forgot....

FYI most all walk through metal detectors used in airports/nuclear plants, prisons etc work on the pulse field principal looking for different decay times in the magnetic surroundings of the machine...small shit decays fast, iron last a long time, and some stainless decays VERY fast and can't be seen as a result...
it CAN be seen with RF but RF is so sensitive to outside EMI the units are just about unusable on planet earth anymore what with everyone carrying some electronics.....

:flash::hunter:

All stainless steels, except the austenitic type are magnetic. So, it's a 400 series type steel being ferritic, however it doesn't have to be 409. Wonder if summit lists the type of steel used. Them being 70$ however makes them cheap, so they probably are 409.

150 bucks, that's only 90 euros :D

A 1/4 gap LOL :D cut wide, grind to fit!!!

You need some of this "für's Backen und Braten" :D

img_ramaculinesse.png

German engineering IS the best:

[ame=http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/brutzelbude/aMY%20NewCorvette%20pics/videos%20files/?action=view&current=Movie12345.flv]th_Movie12345.jpg[/ame]
:1st:

I Like! Nice sound!

I was in Chgo over the weekend. Lotta vettes there. I saw one the same color and ragtop as yours...it look damn awesome going down the road!

Car sounds great!

The guys that don't have a C5 or C6 might not really understand what great cars these are. Fast. Reliable. Good gas mileage. Tons of potential for more HP. Comfortable. Fun every time you drive it. And the best part is they are pretty cheap to buy and own.

I still drive my C3 more though for some reason.

yes, a C5 or C6 is reliable, fast and the gas milage is acceptable for a V8 with 350/400 HP.

I just drove my '79 over to Titusville yesterday and it's more fun than driving the '06 - it is however not as reliable although almost as fast but the gas mileage sux :D

The '06 is a daily driver and it'll take another 30 years until it becomes a classic :D:D:D

Car sounds great!

The guys that don't have a C5 or C6 might not really understand what great cars these are. Fast. Reliable. Good gas mileage. Tons of potential for more HP. Comfortable. Fun every time you drive it. And the best part is they are pretty cheap to buy and own.

Don't get me wrong I love our 08.......But the classic look of our C3s gets more compliments than the 08 gets.Where we live mostly all you see on the road are C5-C6s.One C6 owner even stopped while driving past our house and asked if he could check out our C3s

Last edited:
Car sounds great!

Don't get me wrong I love our 08.......But the classic look of our C3s gets more compliments than the 08 gets.Where we live mostly all you see on the road are C5-C6s.One C6 owner even stopped while driving past our house and asked if he could check out our C3s

Just don't you hate where we live. All thoes damn Vettes around. A guy has a 07 Z06 at a shop across the street. He offered to let me drive it ONCE. I helped him decide on the CORRECT vehicle when he was looking for a car.
Like I said he offered once-- never has again. Maybe something I said like- I'm not afriad to DRIVE the thing.:lol:

Oh yea, my point. I was parked next to him once BSing about how good FORDS are and some of the other shop guys came around to look at our cars. My old UGLY C2 was a BIG hit. They would look at his and stand next to mine and just stare at the C2. They kept saying how cool ( the term "Bitchen" was even used once) it was.

Yea, they may be old but they are still the coolest.

Last edited:
Car sounds great!

Just don't you hate where we live. All thoes damn Vettes around. A guy has a 07 Z06 at a shop across the street. He offered to let me drive it ONCE. I helped him decide on the CORRECT vehicle when he was looking for a car.
Like I said he offered once-- never has again. Maybe something I said like- I'm not afriad to DRIVE the thing.:lol:

Oh yea, my point. I was parked next to him once BSing about how good FORDS are and some of the other shop guys came around to look at our cars. My old UGLY C2 was a BIG hit. They would look at his and stand next to mine and just stare at the C2. They kept saying how cool ( the term "Bitchen" was even used once) it was.

The Classics are the coolest :thumbs:

Car sounds great!

The Classics are the coolest :thumbs:

DM; did you do the Magna Flow thing with your C3?