C4 projector HID's ?

jpetrick

Has anybody ever seen or done a custom projector headlight for their C4? Doing a build now and was hoping to incoprorate it in the hood and get rid of those flip ups. Thanks..

I have never seen it done, however I'm pretty sure Hella has some square Halogen projectors that you may be able to use. Would be nice to see, the halogens on these C4s are not overwhelming when it comes to candle power.

If you want to completely remove the flip ups, you may want to do something like I did for V-Twins car, it has dual 90mm hella projectors, maybe 2 will fit side by side in a sort of lemans style bucket....or wasn't that C4 headlight mod called lemans lights?

Yeah...thats exactly what I was thinking about. I've seen these guy do some really cool lights for the tuner guys and i thought it would be hot on a C4. I did see the conversions that are sold but for 1300 or 1400 i could build 3 sets. I was going to use your bucket template with some modification and try to squeeze 2 hid projectors on each side. I was thinking of vacuum forming lexan or similar for the cover.

A guy here in NL did a hack where he installed coupe fiat lights in his car, cut up the clamshell and made them fit. IMO it looked like crap but the small lights were nice. There are a lot of cars out there w/ small projector type lights in the main headlamps. A pretty common source here are Alfa Romeos but i'm pretty sure those cars are rare as hens teeth over there. A lot of japs will probably have them too. Just cut up the lamp and use the injector and maybe even part of the surrounding plastic. Then you'd have to get creative with forming lexan to finish the job.

How wide are your headlight openings? Maybe you could use the Bosch projectors:

44a2280d43bfb7.jpg

They are like 10 inches in width, and about 4.5 inches or so in height, you think 2 Hella projectors would fit in that space? does anybody have the specs on those off hand?

Thanks Twin...thats awesome....I'll make sure and take pics when I do the build ....if it comes out nice I'm going to do a set for my C3 as well...Thanks man..

If you need SAE hella 90mm projectors, I have a whole bunch of them. Also ECE (euro spec). Some even have super fancy billet alu covers on the housings, off a Spyker supercar. Very exclusive

These:

headlight_copy.jpg

See the ones on the right? They have alu bezels with square "ports" near the leading edge.

If you need SAE hella 90mm projectors, I have a whole bunch of them. Also ECE (euro spec). Some even have super fancy billet alu covers on the housings, off a Spyker supercar. Very exclusive

These:

headlight_copy.jpg

See the ones on the right? They have alu bezels with square "ports" near the leading edge.

TT, silly question....what is the function of the lights there...??? which one is high, lo, turn, running?? what colors are they??

left = hi beam
right = lo beam
bottom = daytime running light
top = indicator

They are all white (I have boxes full with all of them and more)

left = hi beam
right = lo beam
bottom = daytime running light
top = indicator

They are all white (I have boxes full with all of them and more)

The glass I am looking at, is it part of a sealed beam, or is it a glass bulb with a separate actual light bulb/connector sealed/glued onto back of the glass??

the late camaro bulbs I have a supposed to be 'halogen' but I"m not impressed with the brilliance, maybe to get around to rewiring the harness soon enough but my DVM said maybe a volt drop at the bulbs, and they are only 55watt not 100.... so curious as to maybe something better out there I don't have to bust nutz over moving up with....

:fishing::smash::thumbs:

The outermost layer is simply a lexan cover, the silver aprt is a composite bucket. The lenses are individual units, the 2 larger ones are Hella 90mm projectors. They are either equipped w/ H7 & H9 fittings or set up for Xenon (very expensive, around 350-400$ a piece)

These are the same modules:
548961b3319230.jpg

24flmhs.jpg

(very expensive, around 350-400$ a piece)

These are the same modules:
548961b3319230.jpg

24flmhs.jpg

Yeh, no shit, but for that 400 bux I get ONE bulb the same as say that those two shown, the whole assy...right??

but like the camaro bulbs I have in there now, I see what looks like a replaceable bulb glued/clipped into the back ass of the thing....so, to get maybe those bulbs ALONE with their obvious connectors and replace my present bults, and RTV them in place same as I did with my LO beams now....instead of 25 bux each for whold bulbs, I simply twisted out the old bulb, and the epoxy easily let go, so found same bulb but it's only 55 watts, and RTV them in place, works for some 3 years now, not that I do much night driving anyway....so wondering what is available without the whole assy....is where my mind is trying to go....

:smash::surrender:

The regular H7/H9 ones you see there are about 100$. The xenon ones are the real expensive ones, not saying you can't retrofit them with Xenon, that's exactly what was done on Xanders car. The lo and hi beams are the same lens wise for either and the beam gives a super crisp defined pattern, infinitely better than halogens.

They actually check the lights here, they won't accept jerry rigged stuff.

The regular H7/H9 ones you see there are about 100$. The xenon ones are the real expensive ones, not saying you can't retrofit them with Xenon, that's exactly what was done on Xanders car. The lo and hi beams are the same lens wise for either and the beam gives a super crisp defined pattern, infinitely better than halogens.

They actually check the lights here, they won't accept jerry rigged stuff.

They did on new/used car sales for registration in Maryland years ago too, but ONLY then, wonder if it's changed, should think to ask at some point....anyway, Florida don't care much, thank GOD.....

now Md, only checked for aim and brill, not so much as to color/style/etc.....so what do they check for on your side of the pond???

:eek:

Wether the lenses are ECE E1 approved (E1 = mainland europe lens), wether the bulbs are replaceable on the lo beams (no sealed beams allowed here), then they check aim & brightness. On new oem equipped xenon they check for a functioning auto level & washer system. Also, cops have started checking and fining for retrofit Xenon kits in Halogen lenses because the result is adiffused beam that can blind oncoming traffic.

Wether the lenses are ECE E1 approved (E1 = mainland europe lens), wether the bulbs are replaceable on the lo beams (no sealed beams allowed here), then they check aim & brightness. On new oem equipped xenon they check for a functioning auto level & washer system. Also, cops have started checking and fining for retrofit Xenon kits in Halogen lenses because the result is adiffused beam that can blind oncoming traffic.

Years ago, I just laughed with all the rest of the group when Mercedes showed up with wiper blades on headlights......still think it's funny as hell.....but anyway, how in hell you need to wash headlights over there when we dont bother here?? or Japan for that matter?? much less how is it DONE?? blades like a windshield?? the Merc system?? over a little 3-4" diameter bulb, that much be cute.??....wonder why Xenon diffuses in a Halogen lens....

auto level?? as in up/down, or r/left?? how in hell they going to do THAT??

:gurney::drink:

I'm pretty sure volvo was the 1st with headlamp wipers, they had them back in the early 80s.

The xenon ones need a washer, not a wiper, this is done to reduce the glare from dirty lamps disrupting the beam. What does it matter if the US doesn't bother? Not following that one, so if you guys don't have it we don't have to? Weird.

Xenon bulbs don't need a lens like halogens do to get the proper "beam shape", in fact when you put a xenon bulb in a halogen housing the beam gets scattered like the halogen however with the much higher intensity (the beam shape is such that it also directs sideways and up to illuminate road signs) is blinding for oncoming traffic.

Yes, auto level up/down so the lamp is level no matter how much crap you put in the trunk. It used to be mandatory to have a level switch in the car from 93? but nowadays the xenon stuff is auto leveling. The adjustment is done simply by a little linear motor that hooks to where one of the height adjustment screws normally goes. Simple as that.

Some of these newer cars also have cornering adjustment, when you are above a certain speed and turn the wheel the lights turn too...nothing super spectacular.