Go Back   VetteMOD.com > Racing - History and Current > Racing

Old 03-03-2020, 08:17 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)
Default John Biza RIP

The following was copied from an email I received from Jan Hyde who runs the Registry of Corvette Race Cars website. Lots of other photos of his builds are on [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

“We pay tribute to the recently departed Corvette racer John Biza from Roseville MN.

John’s Corvette Shop and Jay Kline Chevrolet were hot spots for Corvette performance in the Minneapolis area during the 1970s. There was also Doug Rippie who developed C4 Corvettes that raced in the Corvette Challenge Series, IMSA and at Le Mans. But that’s another story.

The 1970 Corvette that John Biza built and raced is owned by Mark Ferrara from Long Island NY.

As Mark puts it, “The Biza Corvette is a pure, unfiltered American Race Car that puts a smile on my face every time the green flag drops. It is loud, fast and makes you feel a little sorry for racers driving anything else... as you go by them”.

The car was so well built that Steve Kline (of Jay Kline Chevrolet) eventually purchased and campaigned the car.

Later owners included John Aldag and Jack Beckman.

This car is a true survivor. In retracing the origins, it became clear to Mark that without a major sponsor, John had to be smarter and work harder. “As I went through the restoration, I discovered several trick modifications that John built into the car that allowed him to compete with bigger budget race teams of the period.”
Old 03-04-2020, 10:24 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (78)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Coenen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

When John Wayne Walker took delivery of this beauty at Bloomington - it was just a VIN tag & the under body tub. Historic. Huuuh.
Well, pretty safe bet that I won’t be buying it !

Some one put some work into it.

Sad situation that vin tag stuff.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 PM
United States | Addict

The value is obviously in the eyes of the beholder. But what are you really getting? An original race - now restored?

Many years ago on the National Corvette Reproduction Sociopath chat room, there was a photo of this beauty when it was brought to Bloomington, IL June show & delivered to John Wayne W.

It was a tub under body on an open car trailer. The name of the fellow who took it escapes me ... I know he is a 65 396 aficionado & still participates on that site.

In my own personal view, the expeditious way to replace all the missing body, engine, trans, rear, trim, moldings, seats, dash, cluster, etc. etc. etc. etc .... was to get another Corvette of the same year & build it to match with date coded pertinent parts & rivet on the tags. Viola!

Only diff in a built tribute or clone - it doesn't have the trim tag raced by Tony Dilorenzo (?sp?) A log book.

(rjt - Thanks for selecting some of my video's for this race thread - I'm flattered. Just playing on my iMac.)

Last edited by Geoff Coenen; 03-04-2020 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: NYB
Old 03-06-2020, 12:19 PM
United States | Addict

Well, I retired early and was planning to fix up my property, sell or stay, and build a race car of sorts. This thread was to be a collection of useful stuff. There is so much on YouTube, but finding it hard.

Anyways, thanks for your video.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (118)

last August I went to buy some American Torque Thrust wheels, while there I asked "any other Corvette parts available"? the guy says no and lets go into the other room and ask my father if your offer for the wheels is enough, we walk by what looks like a mid year Corvette body under a car cover and I say whats this? the guy says my father will kill me as he lifts the car cover and I read Hanley Dawson on the black body, yes it`s the body only from the youtube above, the Delorenzo 67 L-88 is what some might call a Frankenstein, the car in street trim is (from what I have been told) now owned by auctioneer Dana Mecum.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:51 PM
United States | Addict

"Hanley Dawson on the black body, yes it`s the body only from the youtube above" -

help me out I don't know many old racers - the 67 L-88 or the 70 355 video
Old 03-23-2020, 10:40 PM
United States | Addict

Okay, I had to find some info on this.

Hanley Dawson ordered/sponsored Tony Delorenso’s car, the l88 C2. There is a Facebook page with some good photos.

Last edited by rtj; 03-23-2020 at 10:44 PM..
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (118)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Coenen View Post
"Hanley Dawson on the black body, yes it`s the body only from the youtube above" -

help me out I don't know many old racers - the 67 L-88 or the 70 355 video

67 L-88
Old 04-24-2020, 04:08 PM
United States | Addict

Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 PM
United States | Addict

More nascar and trans am, but still interesting.