tilting radiator backwards

Belgian1979vette

A question about this : on a stock C3 radiator with mechanical fan, would it be possible to tilt the radiator backwards some more (top tilted more towards the radiator) ? I'm not sure if it can be done with minor mods. Personally I think an electric radiator and the associated shroud is necessary to gain clearance, but I thought I would check with you guys before I start throwing in $1000 for a Dewitts radiator with shroud and fans.

This could solve a clearance issue I have ducting a couple of 3.5" tubes over the radiator into the nose.

Some years ago I even reverse hinged my hood, so it opens from the firewall instead of the nose, because I went to an up/over air induction on my photobucket site, go to page 3 and you see a bunch of pix.....

the car was born in '72, and I have an aluminum radiator and dual spal electric fans, and looked at leaning it over further, but on my car the plastic/metal fender supports would not allow it, or it would be such a battle, I chickened out, in actuality I sort of regret the decision to do what I did.....it's a PIA to deal with.....:eek:

Some years ago I even reverse hinged my hood, so it opens from the firewall instead of the nose, because I went to an up/over air induction on my photobucket site, go to page 3 and you see a bunch of pix.....

the car was born in '72, and I have an aluminum radiator and dual spal electric fans, and looked at leaning it over further, but on my car the plastic/metal fender supports would not allow it, or it would be such a battle, I chickened out, in actuality I sort of regret the decision to do what I did.....it's a PIA to deal with.....:eek:

Gene,

I do not intend to tilt the entire radiator frame backwards, just the radiator. The radiator is held in place with the 2 brackets on top that are bolted to the radiator frame. I think all I need to do is lengthen them so that the top of the radiator tilts more towards the engine. Then adapt some ducting so that all of the air still goes through the radiator.

Not sure how much clearance I have vs the A-arm bushings in the front though.

AH, OK, That DeWitts Radiator you want maybe nice for Florida and SW USA out in the deserts/etc....but years ago I got a radiator from an F body, it's single row about 1.5" thick, black plastic tanks....it happened to fit the '72 mounts just fine, trick is that it's much thinner than stock, so I have an engine oil cooler in between radiator, moved all the way back in the mounts, and just enough clearance for the spals that are hung off the radiator brackets

the radiator was only 185 bux, the spals can be had off ebay for ~200 bux....

:smash: My setup was done in '95 when I bought the car....first up was supposed to be FI, but the rad leaked on me, so first up was fans, rad, serp drive.....:surrender:

You may be more likely to need the expansion tank with the integral radiator cap to make that the highest point in the cooling system instead of the radiator. Mine is a 77, so the cap is on the radiator, but earlier models had the cap on this tank to keep air from getting trapped in the system.

You may be more likely to need the expansion tank with the integral radiator cap to make that the highest point in the cooling system instead of the radiator. Mine is a 77, so the cap is on the radiator, but earlier models had the cap on this tank to keep air from getting trapped in the system.

I'm not doing this to bleed the radiator of air.

In my opinion will be a big job..... but in case, you should need a big opening in the hood because of the air flow.
We did it in the C5 we was racing in the Italian GT

Here is possible to see the radiator
thum_1453f3bfcb9cc4c.jpg

Here the big opening inthe hood with a nolder to help the flow estraction.
thum_1453f3bfecea787.jpg
thum_1453f3c09a5296f.jpg

That would worsen the flow thru the radiator.
Why not notching the top of the radiator support?

I've seen some of the notching done to them and I do not like the idea as it seems not to provide the same strength.

Also, I have 2 tubes of 3.5" each so that would be a really big notch.

I can't imagine that you will get 3.5 inches from tilting the radiator back. It is possible to move it down (support) maybe 1/2 inch

I'm not doing this to bleed the radiator of air.

I understand, just pointing out a potential issue so it doesn't pop up when you tilt it for your air intake. What good is cold air into the intake if the engine overheats from a silly air bubble? I think you're on the right track, it wouldn't take too much of a modification to the core support to create the tilt you're looking for while still using the existing mounting points on the inner fenders. We've done some weird engine swaps in the past and had to get creative due to space constraints. 20lbs of engine into a 5lb bag forces creativity. ;-)

I can't imagine that you will get 3.5 inches from tilting the radiator back. It is possible to move it down (support) maybe 1/2 inch

there is about a 1.60" clearance right now in that location. Tilting backwards would move the top of the radiator away another 1.5". In total that would be like 3.00-3.10". Still a close call, but I would be able to squeeze the tubes through the opening that way.

On the other hand some other were creative with the radiator, that might be interesting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/3519277-tilting-radiator-backwards.html

Last edited:

there is about a 1.60" clearance right now in that location. Tilting backwards would move the top of the radiator away another 1.5". In total that would be like 3.00-3.10". Still a close call, but I would be able to squeeze the tubes through the opening that way.

On the other hand some other were creative with the radiator, that might be interesting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/3519277-tilting-radiator-backwards.html

That's the direction my thinking went in, a universal fit aluminum radiator of shorter dimensions but the same width, it would probably be cheaper than a custom unit and just as effective.

Suggestion for Radiator Issue

I designed this radiator/support/fan setup so that there would be sufficient clearance to use a C-5 (or higher) air intake for LS style engines.

thum_3463544e9453686b4.jpg

I designed this radiator/support/fan setup so that there would be sufficient clearance to use a C-5 (or higher) air intake for LS style engines.

thum_3463544e9453686b4.jpg

Totally slick, Love to have an LS in my car, but in '97-98 I got a deal on a 350 roller engine, so it's built like a ZZ4 and I can't justify any upgrades at this time.....I don't see any hood in evidence above, so wonder how you did this....did you reverse hinge your hood like I did?? off the firewall end....I use hood pins on the old hinges...keeps things simple.....

See Shutterfly for under hood pix.....

:shocking:

Last edited:
Back