Tool chest

My first job out of college was at the Baldwin Piano Co. in Cincinnati. They made only grand pianos there. And they hand made them exactly as they had done 60 years before. 80% of the people making the wood cases or assembling the pianos were German. And by German, I mean they were born in Germany, 1st generation.

They all had their own tools, housed and organized in a toolbox. The tools were, for the most part, made by them or made by someone before they were born and handed down. The tool boxes were also made by them.

I never really got a good look at the inside of the toolboxes because, if you were within 5 feet of someone's tools, you would have someone yelling at you in German!

My son has most of the tools from my Father, and his other Grandfather too....

I am struck at how that guys looks EXACTLY like an old friend from years ago....everyone duplicates over again at one time or other, I suppose....

Frank Samstag you still out there?? cooking good food??? the man was a lawyer from Ca. with his two kids, divorced, decades ago....

:drink::drink:

My first job out of college was at the Baldwin Piano Co. in Cincinnati. They made only grand pianos there. And they hand made them exactly as they had done 60 years before. 80% of the people making the wood cases or assembling the pianos were German. And by German, I mean they were born in Germany, 1st generation.

They all had their own tools, housed and organized in a toolbox. The tools were, for the most part, made by them or made by someone before they were born and handed down. The tool boxes were also made by them.

I never really got a good look at the inside of the toolboxes because, if you were within 5 feet of someone's tools, you would have someone yelling at you in German!
I worked in Cincy from 76 to 80 and was a member of the Cincy street rods. Lived just over the border in Indiana. I often went to Mecklenburg Gardens restaurant, great steaks.

Last edited:
Cincy Street Rods and Mecklenburg are still around, Baldwin not so much.