Trailing Arm Bushing Tool

stinger12

I am considering making them for the forum if there is enough interest in them. It is made out of really thick steel and is used to compress the rubber trailing arm bushings before you flare the sleeve. The sleeve is flared using a tapered tool (which would be included with the tool). You need a hydraulic press to press on the tapered tool to flare the sleeve. This tool works awesome, and is a much better design than some of the other ones I've seen out there. There has to be a demand for them though, so gauge your interest here. The cost of one would be $35-? Canadian (still have to check price of steel). Here is a picture of it...

DSC03434.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it definitely is. Apparently The one made by them doesn't even flare the tube correctly. I will check on Monday at work to see if I can stay at this price. The one I sold for $25 was made of some scrap steel I had laying around from another project, so the price will probably jump to $35...I'll have to see.

Last edited:
Looks better/stronger than the one sold by ecklers for $50.

I have that one from Ecklers (p/n A2545) and it is stout. The end plates are 1 inch thick and the clinch bolts are grade 8 cap screws, 1/2 inch diameter. Mine is used almost every week for 20+ years now. The threads and nuts are about trashed from using an impact wrench. Other than that....no complaints.

I have that one from Ecklers (p/n A2545) and it is stout. The end plates are 1 inch thick and the clinch bolts are grade 8 cap screws, 1/2 inch diameter. Mine is used almost every week for 20+ years now. The threads and nuts are about trashed from using an impact wrench. Other than that....no complaints.

You're saying you bought it 20+ years ago. I bet it's not made in China like most of the junk you can buy nowadays.

Does anybody have a newer version this tool ? Anybody bought this recently ??

You're saying you bought it 20+ years ago. I bet it's not made in China like most of the junk you can buy nowadays.

Does anybody have a newer version this tool ? Anybody bought this recently ??

Dunno about how it is made like today, but it better be at least 1 inch thick. To crush the bushings far enough to flare the tube, it takes a lot of tension.

Dunno about how it is made like today, but it better be at least 1 inch thick. To crush the bushings far enough to flare the tube, it takes a lot of tension.

I am guessing that it why Stinger made his own.... I'd be surprised if the tool is as good as it was 20 years ago.

Stinger, what's the dimensions of plates?

2'' by 5''

Plates are 1/2'' thick. I have access to 1'' plate (I think that is what it is at work)...I'll have to check tomorrow. I believe that the thickness of the plates I made are more than sufficient for installing the bushings. I installed my set of bushings and had no problems whatsoever. The plates did not bend when they compressed the bushings.

Thats a nice offer,and i do plan on rebuilding the rear end of my car soon and will more than likely need one.I will have to think on it some more because it is a specialty tool that i will more than likely only need once.
How about a tool rental plan :thumbs:

Thats a nice offer,and i do plan on rebuilding the rear end of my car soon and will more than likely need one.I will have to think on it some more because it is a specialty tool that i will more than likely only need once.

It isn't worth me shipping it down to you...I'm all the way in Canada you see, and parts cost a lot to ship:lol:

I think this tool weighs about 2.5 pounds. I've already sold two of them - one cost $10 USA to ship and the other cost $15 USA to ship - it depends on where you live.

Plus, I am trying to save up for my engine - I need all the money I can get right now...it isn't a cheap build:lol:

Last edited:

It isn't worth me shipping it down to you...I'm all the way in Canada you see, and parts cost a lot to ship:lol:

I think this tool weighs about 2.5 pounds. I've already sold two of them - one cost $10 USA to ship and the other cost $15 USA to ship - it depends on where you live.

Plus, I am trying to save up for my engine - I need all the money I can get right now...it isn't a cheap build:lol:

I understand the shipping price,i sent some parts to Canada a while back and it was not cheap.
Yea good motors are not cheap to build.

You'll need it twice ;) :D

I stand corrected you are right TT,once for each side :lol::lol:

Tim could use it four times. That is six uses between you two. $10 a squeeze.

And then lend it to your buddies here for the price of shipping:D Oh, and make sure you get the spindle setup tool so that we can share that as well:D

I don't have a problem with any of that,i will always loan my tools to somebody that needs them :drink: when i get closer to finishing my paint i will look into getting what is needed for the rear end and let you guys know