Sandblast cabinet

1Michel

I have a whole bunch of parts that needs to be sandblasted. The problem is that I dont have a sandblast cabinet.
So I made one.
I previously made a storage space between the garage doors so I fitted it in there.
Took 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood and made some plans.
It's 30 inch wide by 30 inch deep and from the grille another 30 inch high, so it's a large enough box to play with.
Also I wanted it to be off the ground, makes easyer to clean the floors so it's bolted from inside.

thum_180495d99fa4a571.jpg

thum_180495d99fd43043.jpg

thum_180495d99ff20da2.jpg

thum_180495d9a01b5f34.jpg

thum_180495d9a0034f79.jpg

I made it with 2 doors, one for the plexiglass and a lower door to make access easyer.
I installed some temporary hinges to make sure everything fitted and will get some locks for the doors.

Not too sure about the interior surface yet,probably paint it.

Next I'll install some angles to retain the grille then plumbing, lighting, vaccum opening, gloves and blasting equipment.

Then paint to make it look pretty and make it work.

Last edited:
Methinks the plexi will bet blasted with bouncing material....and get fogged up form inside...maybe try some saran wrap to stop that, other than that do glass.....

:rain:

Looks like it should do the job. And they do come in very handy,one of the first thing i purchased after buying the vette.

I made my own too. I used lexan as the window on mine. The trick is to cover it with a clear acetate sheet and replace that when it gets fogged up. I have only replaced the lexan once, and that was because I didn't use anything on it the first time (lesson learned). Use a clear plastic to prevent the lexan from fogging up, and replace it when needed. I've blasted hundreds of parts in this cabinet - works like a champ.

DSC02199.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02196-1.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02186-1.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

DSC02212.jpg

DSC02211-1.jpg

DSC02206-1.jpg

Not too sure about the interior surface yet,probably paint it.

I had access to stainless steel sheeting when I built mine. I was afraid that the wood would get eaten away over time, so I contact-cemented metal sheeting on the inside of the cabinet. This thing should outlive me and thensome.

Last edited:
Cool I'll use lexan, pretty tough material. where did you get the gloves? Princess auto?

I actually got them at House of Tools. Get yours from Princess Auto, mine are a little short for the cabinet. Go to home depot and get yourself two toilet bowl flanges and cut two holes in the cabinet for your arms. Screw the flanges to the wood front, then use hose clamps to attach the gloves to the flanges.

That was the plan thanks for the pics Stigner,

Gene, it's got to be cheap, up to now I've spent about 44 bucks on it.
Rather spend money on car parts.

Next will be a powder coat oven. Got an oven donor in the basement that were not using. I'll use the heating elements and temp control. It will use the same plug used for the welding machine.
shouldnt cost too much for that either.

Last edited:

Waste of money in my opinion. You can get a large pack of transparent sheets at your local office store, tape them together, then tape them to the window glass. You should then have enough for about 10 years - takes a little bit more work, but will last you a lot longer than 10 sheets from princess auto/harbor freight will. I will try to find you a picture of the sheets to use for the protector - I tried several different types and then I finally found the best one for this application. I will also post how I tape them to the window eventually when I have some more time.

Both of your guy's cabinets look very nice,i purchased a Scat Blast cabinet from TP tools,you can also get a lot parts and accessories from them. I would someday like to get one of their dust and material collection vac's.The dust tends to clog up my shop vac filter quite fast,i have a cool way of cleaning the filter. I take the filter outside,check the wind direction,stand up wind and throw the sucker as high as i can and when it hits the ground,POOF,the filter is clean again :quote:

How does the wood hold up. I have been thinking of building one. Only using my pressure blaster with it to make things go alittle faster.

I have a small blasting cabinet with a top lid and "window". When I work with it I can't see s&*t. I was thinking replacing the Plexiglas window setup to hardened glass. Will that hold up?

You have to use some protector sheets, doesn't matter what your main window is made of. Either like the ones I referred to above or like Stinger said he was going to post info on. :smash:

Also you need a bright lite inside and dust vacuumed out.