My Johnny Joint Install

BlackBetty

So I picked up a pair of 2" JJs with zerks in the casing. Didnt like the way the poly bushings fit and figured I would try something different. So here it is. I had already installed the new poly bushings so I took a 2" hole saw and fit it around the bushing. I didnt use a pilot bit because the bushing was the hole saw guide. Once I got the holes done I cleaned them up and fit my JJs. I took a piece of electric tape and shimmed and fit them exactly where I wanted them. I then tack welded them in a few spots and ran quarter circle beads, so as not to get them too terribly hot. Welded them up and presto. The bushings themselves are kinda aggravating to install. The poly bushings have notches that line up and sort of lock with each other, so there is only one way they can go. I put the first washer in and then poly-jj sleeve-poly and pressed it in with a c clamp and two sockets. It needs to be press slightly to install the snap ring.

One issue that I havent really seen addressed is how to shim the bushings. They are a touch thinner than the stock bushings and the inner JJ sleave will almost fit through the stock "A" shims. To take up more space I am using two grade 5 nuts reemed out to fit on the bolt and grade 8 washers to take up space. I then left enough space for the stock A shims. This will allow for easier alignment. I will also be drilling a hole in arm frame so I can get a grease gun nozzle in to the joint.

Thanks to MYBAD79 for the initial guidence :thumbs:

CopyofDSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01746.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

Last edited:
That looks very familiar :nuts:

Great job :thumbs:

Are you going to weld the trailing arms all the way ? The factory welds are disgusting at best...... have a look at the end of the arm where the spring bolt is resting... that area is usually weak after 30 years....

I have not added the grease fitting yet, I think it will fit on top of the arm if I drill at an angle....

How often do you have grease it? With the zerk at the back like that can you reach it with the arm in the frame?

Nice work.

The factory welds are terrible..all over the frame at that..I may check that out, so thanks for reminding me. I will grease them at your normal maintenance intervals. I am going to drill about a half inch hole-3/4 inch hole on the kick up where the trailing arm mounts. That way I should be able to reach it with the grease gun under the car with the body on.

When I FINALLY get done with my ls swap and frame off I want to buy a new set of wheels. I really like my centerline wheels, so I may just go up a size on the back wheels to an 18X9.5. It seems to me that since I have the JJs I could shim the bushing all the way in toward the rear(equal amount and aligned of course) Which would give me a little more clearance with the rims and trailing arm? It seems like you would get at least an inch more. I may be wrong. Anyone know if this is prossible?

The position of the JJ in the frame mount is determined by the toe setting. If you moved the front pivot in 1 inch, you would have severe toe settings.