Holley carburetor questions

MYBAD79

I have this 750cfm Holley that came with the car when I bought it back in 2004, ran a little rich - no idea what the previous owner did to it, no idea what jets are in there.
Are the jet kits for these Holley carbs all the same ? Summit only has one kit on their website: Holley 36-181 ???

These are old pics from '04:

214a2faa2b7684e.jpg
214a2faa2bebb4f.jpg

Those are the old Holley autolite copies (4010, 4011)

Most people don't like them, but they are my favorite (in DPumper) for an all round DD. Aluminum, annular, don't leak etc. Set it and forget it
They don't make the kits anymore, but they are available on ebay.
The Summit carbs aren't a close enough copy.

All the Holley jets and PV work and the backfire prevention is built in.
In order to change idle circuit you must drill so no room for error. :)

BTW, in your other carb thread, those EDel carbs would be my last choice.

Those are the old Holley autolite copies (4010, 4011)

Most people don't like them, but they are my favorite (in DPumper) for an all round DD. Aluminum, annular, don't leak etc. Set it and forget it
They don't make the kits anymore, but they are available on ebay.

This is the correct kit for this carb ? It's here in FL so I should get it quick...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Holley-4011-Mode...s?hash=item45eb975d15&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

In order to change idle circuit you must drill so no room for error. :)

I hope the previous owner did not drill...

I'll take it apart and inspect it before I spend any money on a rebuild kit.... let's see what I find inside this thing.... might be in good shape, might be good for a few entertaining pictures...

BTW, below is part of what you replied to a previous thread about this carb, back in 2008 I was trying to figure out what model it is. Good thing I kept that info, I'll look and see what numbers I find...
=======================

You should find some numbers on the air horn. The 4010 and 4011 only tell whether it is square or spreadbore and the style.

84010 600 (F)67,(R)75 6.5 4010
84010-1 600 (F)67,(R)75 6.5 4010
84010-2 600 (F)67,(R)75 6.5 4010
84010-3 600 (F)63,(R)75 6.5 4010
84011 750 (F)75,(R)75 6.5,6.5 4010
84011-1 750 (F)75,(R)75 6.5,6.5 4010
84011-2 750 (F)75,(R)75 6.5 4010
84011-3 750 (F)73,(R)75 6.5 4010
84015 800 (F)64,(R)90 6.5,6.5 4011
84015-1 800 (F)64,(R)90 6.5,6.5 4011
84015-2 800 (F)60,(R)90 6.5,6.5 4011
84015-3 800 (F)60,(R)90 6.5,6.5 4011

Last edited:
Used to pay a lot less for a kit, but at least still available.

All the parts and jets from the normal Holleys will fit other than the large top bowl gasket and the 2 gaskets for the annular boosters.
You can spray them with silicone or put grease on them to be able to reuse them a few times. Since it's made out of aluminum, you can also soda blast (baking soda) it in and out to clean it up with no ill effects.

I doubt if anyone drilled yours. I had to do it years ago when we had emission testing here. It was easy to rejet etc, but the idle circuit was extremely rich and had to be drilled. After fussing with it, I got it to pass emissions with scores almost as good as cat converter equipped cars. Also defied convention and used a much lower rated pv 2 stage.
Ran at least comperable to a built up qjet, and the pumper was more fun.

BAD -
I have a different opinion on the carb...

Keep in mind that the Holley Autolite spreadbore replacement carb (your carb) was obsolete and discontinued back in the late 60's. It was deemed obsolete for a reason: The 4165/4175 spreadbore Holleys (based on the 4150/4160 designs) were much better designs. Since you can pick up a used, rebuildable 4175 for about $75, why use an antique carb that belongs on a 1967 1/2-ton Ford pickup? You should hang it on the wall of your garage as a novelty item and rebuild a modern performance carb for the Vette. Even if the performance of the Autolite-style carb is acceptable to you, the Vette engine just looks a bit awkward with a Ford truck carb on it.

Lars

I'll open it and see if a little cleaning is enough to get it running - maybe the jets that are installed are the right size ... who knows... it wasn't running very good on the low CR L48 but maybe it's a half way decent fit for the stroker... this is just my curiosity, I hate to throw out parts that still work although it would look quiet nice on the wall next to my worn brake discs... :lol:

Looking at holley carbs at Summit because I'm expecting a store credit:

4160: http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=HLY-0-3310S

4150 with mech secondaries: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-4779C/

Are you running a sqaure bore intake or a spread bore intake? The two carbs from Summit are both square bores. If you're running an automatic on the street with a near-stock converter and near-stock rear gears, the vacuum sec carb may prove to be more drivable, but the one you've selected is the bottom-end, entry level carb. If you have a 4-speed or a loose converter, you can have good success with the 4150.

Lars

Lars, I have a RPM air-gap manifold, square bore. The engine is a 383 with 9.8:1 cr and a Comp cam 230-236 hydr roller. The heads are Edelbrock RPM 64cc with 170cc intake runners. the trans is a 5spd (TKO600), rear gears are 3.55

I have been running this engine with a Performer intake and the small 600cfm Edelbrock carb that I had on the tired L48 350....

Now that the engine has 1600 miles I decided to get a better suited intake and carburetor - the air gap manifold and the 800cfm Edelbrock seemed to be a good choice (my 600cfm edelbrock ran perfectly fine for the past five years) - unfortunately the new 800 cfm carb runs like crap.... if they give me a store credit I'll get the 4150 mech secondaries and give that a try...

btw, Summit is now telling me it's a adjustment issue although the carb is advertized to be calibrated and setup to run right from the factory.... we'll see how this ends... I've told them that I do not believe that a customer should have to purchase a calibration kit for $60 and spend endless hours of trying to make a brand new $400 carburetor work that is supposed to be setup correctly from the manufacturer....

Well, I took this old Holley apart to satisfy my curiosity:

214a303d9749d67.jpg

The gaskets were all in really good shape :twitch::confused2:

214a303d98c6597.jpg
The jets are 60 and 64 :twitch::twitch:

214a303d9849d5b.jpg
214a303d9967224.jpg
MYSTERY CARB: no numbers anywhere.....
214a303d99dc520.jpg

No idea if this is a 750 or a 650.... :smash::smash:

Methinks you might need a can of that Permatex Cheese-Whiz RTV for that top gasket. You can cut the booster gasket out of an old inner tube.

I wonder if an Autolite carb overhaul kit would be close enough (or even correct?)

I found a Holley carb shop in Cocoa Beach, I'll call them tomorrow, maybe I'm lucky and they have gaskets and jets for this thing.... first I thought about driving over there but they probably laugh when they see this carb .... :D

Karsten, in the mid/late 60's while going to law school, a old buddy was a claims adjuster for GEICO in their Wash DC headquarters inside office....settling FIRE claims.....the number ONE cause of fires was HOLLEY CARBS mostly on Fords.....

over the years going to car shows of various types, looking at any Holley equipped DRIVEN car.....what do I find?? leaks all over the intake manifolds, evidence of fuel problems...

IMO....no go....

:clobbered: ( I full well know I may catch shit over this, I don't care):hunter:

:D

Here's another opinionon the original Autolite 4100 (which yours is copied from)

From Pony Carbs
This is the finest four-barrel carburetor that has yet to be made by anybody. In performance, reliability, and fuel economy it is simply state-of-the-art. It will "blow away" anything that holley has yet to make. There are several subtle engineering changes that we do to this carburetor to make the secondaries perform even better than the day they left the factory.

And yes the original 4100's were phased out in the late 60's, but they were also the first carb ever with the annular setups and used on a wide variety of engines from pickups to FE blocks to Mustang "K" cars. The improved model 4300 was phased out around the early 80's
The qjets first showed up in 65 and were also improved over time.

The Holley 4010/4011 both in square/spread and vacuum/mechanical models were improved versions and were in production until the early '90s.

Your gasket looks typical of one that wasn't prepped etc before install, that's why I started doing that. On mine it didn't mean that it leaked, just from disassembly.
It's a solid casting below the fuel level, unlike most Holleys and that was one of the good features of both these Holley and the Autolite carbs.
Both the original top gasket and annular gaskets were just heavy gasket paper.
You used to be able to buy just that gasket kit.
Autolite or the new Summit carbs are different.

The carb number should be on the front of the airhorn , drivers side, beside the bowl vent, stamped on the verticle surface.

I'll see what I can find in the racks in the next few days. I know I've got bunches of Holley jets and parts around.

BTW, despite having said all this, I'm running 2 Qjets built to Ruggles specs.

Let me know if you have any success with the Holly shop on 520 in Cocoa. After several contacts with him, they were never helpful and acted like he didn't want my business. It is a small shop and open when he feels like it. I sure hope it was just me and you have better luck!