What ever you do, just don't....

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
grease your window tracks. May sound like common sense to most of you that have experience with it, but a fair warning to the rest of you.
Many, many years ago I had my windows out because the regulators (well, driver side anyway) failed. So I figured this would be a good time to service them. Of course, I also thought, "hey, if I put some grease in these tracks, it should make the windows that much easier on the motor." Wasn't entirely a bad plan, worked pretty well for a year or two, and then the windows started to slow down. The passenger side was worse, I think mainly because I didn't raise and lower it as much. So what happens is fine dust and grit bonds with the grease and after a decade, or more, turns into something more resembling grout than grease. Last time I drove the car, it would almost kill power raising or lowering the passenger side window. I pulled it apart to day and CHIPPED off all the grout/grease build up and reinstalled everything dry and just damn if it doesn't work 500 times better. I'm not sure but I think the dry film lubricant would probably do pretty well without attracting too much crap, but for now, dry is good. Maybe I'll tackle some of that other stuff when I actually get down to the task of restoring this car.

These threads amuse me in that for DECADES the power windows on any GM car I have had...from vette to A & B body cars.....the only way to fix the friggin' windows was to remove the tracks, I typically did all 4 at once over a weekend.....soak ALL the matal in a pan of gasoline....overnight then scrub clean get ALL that damn white lithium grease outta there....use NO oil or grease at all, reassemble DRY, grease hell outta the coil springs to stop rust...and FUGGETABOUTIT......

the windows go up/down SO fast you better watch your ass then.....

especially when your buddy hangs out to moon someone.....

:bump::bump::bounce::hunter:

this is gold

So many times all the advises you can get are from guys who just did it and/or don't use the car that much.
Datas form years of regular use on any kind of mod is gold plated knowledge.
And once again an entertaining read.:thumbs:

one huge problem is that the problem shows up a long ime after the "fix"

people post all over the net how they cleaned and greased their trcks and how wonderful and great the windows work... a year later when the grease turns to cement they dont post again so the "good info" on greasing the tracks is still out there.....

This is what I tell guys. GM uses the grease for sales, I.E., silent and smooth. Truith is, it just collects dirt. You just don't need lubricant on something that moves maybe twice a day. Good post Gary.:friends: