Fiat CTS Spider, turbo

do the brake/clutch cylinders have some sort of a reverse flow check valve in them or is that not needed?

not needed because the reservoirs will be high on the firewall (read, above the wheel cylinders)

i think i understand the reservoir is up at the highest point piped to the piston/cylinder at the pedal level which goes to the brakes/clutch?

how do you control the volume of the fluid that gets pumped out with one pedal stroke? are the master cylinders sized to different volume levels or is there a way to control the length of the stroke?

yes - through changing the inner diameter of the master cylinder. To me it's voodoo - because what size works on one car; won't on something else. e.g. on my C3, I went through 3 different inner diameter master cylinders to get the pedal feel and travel that I wanted. On my Buick Skylark, I got it right the first time. It's the same with brakes, on the Fiat, I'm starting with a 7/8 front and a 1/2 rear. I honestly don't think that will be right, but I also have some 1 1/8, 1", 3/4" and 5/8" master cylinders that I can use to balance the system to where it stops how I want it to stop. The benefit with the balance bar is it pretty much eliminates the need to run a balancing valve - I've had troubles with the adjustable valves, sometimes they don't work at all, they work intermittently, leak, or create too much restriction (the highest volume valve I've found lets 40% of the volume to the rear.... which to me is kind of silly, why not simply reduce the volume by 50% then fine adjust through a valve?.... but that answer is obviously above my pay grade)

As the motor is, hopefully, on its way for my Land Rover, I really need to finish my brake (hmmm, probably should post up what I'm doing with that) and I have a front locker coming for my H3 - this one is going to have to sit for a little bit again...

that car is not going to flex that's for sure!!!!

500 hp, I needed a bit more strength - though, it's interesting you mention that - today I was considering basically starting over, stronger using a chassis similar to what's under a repo Cobra.

Also, as my wife's interest in this seems to be fading - it may be my hoonmobile - if so, I've heard Aussies tell of 1000 hp out of this little, tiny V6.... which, to me, sounds like a terrible amount of fun (may never go back to Corvettes)

500 hp, I needed a bit more strength - though, it's interesting you mention that - today I was considering basically starting over, stronger using a chassis similar to what's under a repo Cobra.

Also, as my wife's interest in this seems to be fading - it may be my hoonmobile - if so, I've heard Aussies tell of 1000 hp out of this little, tiny V6.... which, to me, sounds like a terrible amount of fun (may never go back to Corvettes)

finish what you have then supersize the chassis!!!! it will let you work all the bugs out then transplant the beast of a power train into the tubular frame.

finish what you have then supersize the chassis!!!! it will let you work all the bugs out then transplant the beast of a power train into the tubular frame.

really Bob, that's the best you've got - the voice of reason - why would I start doing something reasonable now? at my age, unreasonable is the new reasonable.

how old are you? I just think doing something as you finally want it to be the first time is impossible and its in the redo process that you nail it down. I saw a Daytona coupe high end kit car that just had me drooling, on more then one occasion I thought of doing that to the MGA coupe.

back in its corner
IMG_0036_zps72558982.jpg

next up is build the shifter and finish the top of the tunnel
IMG_0037_zpscd9b84bc.jpg

um, houston, we have a problem.... this should be welded all the way around

IMG_0035_zps086f3a42.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsdf7fde6e.jpg

I marked them white so I remember to weld them up after I blow it apart to paint it.

as for my age... late 40s, yeah, I know a kid, but I'm already having surgeries reserved for those twice my age - so it's an old late-40s

I keep saying I'm going to build a Cobra kit car with a LS 427 in it.... will I? at this point, if you add up the years it's going to take to finish the two major projects I have (in addition to maintaining the fleet) it will be at least 15 if not 20 years. By then, maybe I'll have grown up (not)

the build i want to see is that big 50s beast up on the lift in one of your photos or previous posts.....that will also be a sweet ride.