200 4R or 4L60E (A41)?

Birds friend at Performance Transmission in LA,CA put a 200r4 in my 77, I was shocked at how much power the car has now. I would recomend it.

Birds friend at Performance Transmission in LA,CA put a 200r4 in my 77, I was shocked at how much power the car has now. I would recomend it.

Rich, That would be Roy's Transmissions in Fullerton, Ca.:wink:

:harhar:Don't worry about it Bird- Cherry has a bad case of OCD going..:quote:

Obsessive CHROME Disease

:harhar:Don't worry about it Bird- Cherry has a bad case of OCD going..:quote:

Obsessive CHROME Disease

Where is that link to that cartoon frog, with the bling bling song in the background....take off on the small pocket rocket bikes??

:nuts::clobbered:

Rich cancel your order for the 22" rims please, it ruins the handling when you jack the car up....

I just may have just scored a 200R4 out of a GN Buick. Since this is a BOP type of case, would I need an adaptor to adapt to the Chevy bolt pattern and would I need to mod the input shaft as well??

thanks

Ben

OBSESSIVE CHROME DISEASE.. WTF?? THATS POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL DISEASE!!!!!!! I don't but that cheap chink shit!

I just may have just scored a 200R4 out of a GN Buick. Since this is a BOP type of case, would I need an adaptor to adapt to the Chevy bolt pattern and would I need to mod the input shaft as well??

thanks

Ben

NOPE, bolt on, your flex plate should take the pattern, maybe want to check that, the one I had has two/dual pattern on it....

nothing to do with input shaft....unless you want that super hardened one the GN guys use for racing...but for normal street use at ~450 ft lbs and 420 hp you should be fine....

use a TRANS GO SHIFT KIT and NO other.....the bigger one....

make sure you change out the TCC clutch solenoid...and also the front pump for a ten vane unit....

thanks

Ben

The BOP case as you said is different. You'll need a plate to put it on a chevy pattern engine. Back in the day, there were 350's out there that were a uni-case and fit BOP and Chevy. Kind of rare nowadays I bet. And I don't know if they did anything other than a 350 that way.

thanks

Ben

The BOP case as you said is different. You'll need a plate to put it on a chevy pattern engine. Back in the day, there were 350's out there that were a uni-case and fit BOP and Chevy. Kind of rare nowadays I bet. And I don't know if they did anything other than a 350 that way.

Yeh, Tim, mine is a universal case, have two extra ears on it sticking up there unused, like would have gone to my old Pontiac engines type pattern....
kinda funny looking stuck there like cat's ears... I thought the 200 4r's were all like that....oh well...

:eek:

200 4R Swap Complete!!

Here's the latest on my 2004R swap into my 1977 Model.
Purchased from John Kozak in Nicholasville, KY [email protected]
Came with every part I needed except the TV bracket and correct driven speedo gear.
Reuse your Turbo 350 dust cover, just drill two holes.
Reuse your rear transmission mount without the brackets, just use the rubber mount, it bolts right to the cross member.
Yoke is the same
Overall length is the same
Final driveshaft elevation is only about 1/8" higher than stock. I deemed that not to be an abnormal angle change and let it go.
You must remove every piece of exhaust from the car and slide the cross member back about 3 inches to get it in there.
AutoZone sells an Edelbrock TV Cable bracket that I modified to work. I probably should have just made it myself after all the time I spent modifying the thing. If you trash your TV cable that comes with the unit, you can pick one up for $20 at NAPA.

Make sure your Trans. Mount is new or in good shape. It is too much trouble to change it later. Same goes for flexplate.
I have dual exhaust and the driver side hits the back corner of the trans. pan. I couldn't reinstall the exhaust until I loosened the bolts on the rear mount and jacked it up about ½". I then installed the exhaust and let the Trans down . They are touching but it so tight that I do not think it will be a rattle. Cooler lines must be changed up a little but they are easier to get to than on the Turbo 350.

It is a little more work than an engine swap for two reasons. One, you are changing components to a different model not in that car originally, so everything is not easily accessible or fits just right. Two, I'm not as young as I used to be and crawling around under a car for two days was a chore. Overall it is a great swap and I am looking forward to many miles of cruising the highways without constantly stopping for gas and overworking the engine.

I haven't been able to get an accurate mpg figure yet because my local Chevy dealer can't seem to get me the driven gear I ordered two weeks ago. But, using my GPS and cruising on the interstate I found my rpm at 70 mph to be 1950 – 2000 exactly what I expected. This is down from 3000 rpm with stock transmission and 3.08 rear gear and 26.1" tires. FYI my automatic C-6 cruises at 1500 rpm at 70 mph. Z-51, don't know the rear gear maybe 2.73?

Another bonus, although I was expecting this to happen, cruise engine temp dropped about 40 deg!!! I may have to raise the ON temp of my electric fan to get the engine temp up to a more efficient range.

Price: Well I suggest you e-mail John as shown above, but get a quote from anybody else first and then talk to him. His price was way under the next closest price from any of the vendors listed in the thread.

I'm open for questions now.