200 4R or 4L60E (A41)?

Ok, Here I go again..... Can anyone explain the difference between the $15.99 TV cable from CPT,

and the $119.95 TV Made EZ from BTO?

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=213

I see the BTO kit has a bunch of silly looking brackets, why do you need more brackets if the stock kickdown bracket will work?
BTO also sells the stock GM cable for around $25, looks like the same cable in their $120 kit.

Thanks.....

"If it don't fit the first time,:smash: get a bigger hammer"

Their different brackets adapt different carbs. They also come with a special cam that allows the cable "pull ratio" to be fine tuned.
348d51dbac0257.jpg

So I guess you need the "BTO TV Made EZ" no matter where you get the transmission? I am using a Edlebrock 1400 carb and I modified the stock cruise and throttle bracket to work with it. My stock kickdown bracket bolts to the intake manifold.... it may be too far away for the TV to work using it.

What do you think about Gear Star Transmissions?

http://www.gearstartransmission.com/transmissions/details.php?unid=60

"If it don't fit the first time, get a bigger hammer"

Last edited:
So I guess you need the "BTO TV Made EZ" no matter where you get the transmission? I am using a Edlebrock 1400 carb and I modified the stock cruise and throttle bracket to work with it. My stock kickdown bracket bolts to the intake manifold.... it may be too far away for the TV to work using it.

What do you think about Gear Star Transmissions?

http://www.gearstartransmission.com/transmissions/details.php?unid=60

"If it don't fit the time, get a bigger hammer"

I am not familiar with them. PM Roy's Transmissions for a quote. Frank knows what he is doing, and stands firmly behind his work.

You can use the cheaper tv cable.You will have plenty of cable. You just need to get the bracket to attach the cable to the throttle.

I built my tranny from a core, Ebay vendor parts and some from Birds buddy. The cheap cable will work fine. The Shiftworks kit has all the stuff you need for the shifter hookup.

Can't Wait to get Overdrive!

Thanks again for all the great info! The diagram for the TV cable geometry on the CPT website looks like the best instruction for building a bracket that works. I have asked for a quote or estimate from Roy's Transmission.
Got the other cars out of my shop... plenty of room to work, cruise in season almost over. Time for another project!

I find throttle cable brackets to be very easy to make in any home shop with decent tools.....I have a buddy who TIG's anything else, but welders can be paid commercially for tacking up this small a piece for cheeeep, not like he stitching a whole damn frame, for christsakes....

but the thing that has me going is that oval rocker things on the later t-bodys when the early ones had just a straight pull off, with a 'linear' pull on the kickdown tranny--throttle cable....so why?? what changed?? they looking for higher line pressures sooner? why not just adjust it snug?? when doing the LT1 intake on my L98 engine project last winter, I made a throttle linkage and put the tranny cable off to the inside of the car connected to the gas pedal directly just higher then the rubber portion, on the shaft there....seems to work just fine....

other then the t-cable itself, I fail to see this all being a big deal to buy something off the net for....if available for 20 bux, yeh, maybe, but a hundred??? :crutches::crutches::chinese:

I find throttle cable brackets to be very easy to make in any home shop with decent tools.....I have a buddy who TIG's anything else, but welders can be paid commercially for tacking up this small a piece for cheeeep, not like he stitching a whole damn frame, for christsakes....

but the thing that has me going is that oval rocker things on the later t-bodys when the early ones had just a straight pull off, with a 'linear' pull on the kickdown tranny--throttle cable....so why?? what changed?? they looking for higher line pressures sooner? why not just adjust it snug?? when doing the LT1 intake on my L98 engine project last winter, I made a throttle linkage and put the tranny cable off to the inside of the car connected to the gas pedal directly just higher then the rubber portion, on the shaft there....seems to work just fine....

other then the t-cable itself, I fail to see this all being a big deal to buy something off the net for....if available for 20 bux, yeh, maybe, but a hundred??? :crutches::crutches::chinese:

If i understand you correctly,you ran the tranny kickdown cable inside the car to the throttle pedal??? is that what you are saying?

:banghead:

If i understand you correctly,you ran the tranny kickdown cable inside the car to the throttle pedal??? is that what you are saying?

YUP, sure is, I just took a cable/wire clamp snug with rubber around the gas pedal shaft about 2" up, and had a flange welded on to the diagonal strut going from the steering support to the console, in my car it has two 3/8-16 nuts on it and is about 3/8 diameter itself....plenty of tortional support....
stuck that cable through it, and routed it straight up through the tranny tunnel and around behind the air ducting with a fair loop up and over to the new bracket, then extended the cable down to the pedal...this with the LT1 install on the L98 engine, as messing with the throttle cable on that new install there was going to be a PIA, what with using the old 52 mm tbody on the 'new' induction....no room for it, really.....I"m thinking of doing the same thing with the silly cruise control for that matter, but up and under the gas pedal...come through the fire wall down lo....on that kickdown cable, I used a larger headed nail bent over 90* and then bent the shank into a hook, then used some nice stiff coat hanger to the pedal clamp....then did the obvious measure as to just where the clamp has to be to get the 1.5 inches of pulll on the throttle cable....set it there, snugged everyone up close, and did the 'mash-pull' setting technique as used under the hood,

which is about the only way I can think of to set these damn thing, all other BS aside....you want the highest line pressures when running, soon as possible....so make that cable short as possible by clicking the shroud length, and still allow WOT.....

:chinese:

YUP, sure is, I just took a cable/wire clamp snug with rubber around the gas pedal shaft about 2" up, and had a flange welded on to the diagonal strut going from the steering support to the console, in my car it has two 3/8-16 nuts on it and is about 3/8 diameter itself....plenty of tortional support....
stuck that cable through it, and routed it straight up through the tranny tunnel and around behind the air ducting with a fair loop up and over to the new bracket, then extended the cable down to the pedal...this with the LT1 install on the L98 engine, as messing with the throttle cable on that new install there was going to be a PIA, what with using the old 52 mm tbody on the 'new' induction....no room for it, really.....I"m thinking of doing the same thing with the silly cruise control for that matter, but up and under the gas pedal...come through the fire wall down lo....on that kickdown cable, I used a larger headed nail bent over 90* and then bent the shank into a hook, then used some nice stiff coat hanger to the pedal clamp....then did the obvious measure as to just where the clamp has to be to get the 1.5 inches of pulll on the throttle cable....set it there, snugged everyone up close, and did the 'mash-pull' setting technique as used under the hood,

which is about the only way I can think of to set these damn thing, all other BS aside....you want the highest line pressures when running, soon as possible....so make that cable short as possible by clicking the shroud length, and still allow WOT.....

Are you by any chance related to BUBBA :huh: it would have been just as easy and cleaner looking just to install it where it belongs,they have all sorts of brackets out there to mount and hook the cable where it belongs,with out the use of nails,coat hangers,and hose clamps.

Are you by any chance related to BUBBA :huh: it would have been just as easy and cleaner looking just to install it where it belongs,they have all sorts of brackets out there to mount and hook the cable where it belongs,with out the use of nails,coat hangers,and hose clamps.

It don't show unless you stick you head right up there, and look, and under the hood, I don't see how to put it there as the injector bank is in the way, and would make everything a cluster fuck.....at BEST....

:devil:

I'm sure it could be done and look like it belongs,after all they have been using FI motors with automatic trannys for some time now. But if thats your thing :twitch:

I'm sure it could be done and look like it belongs,after all they have been using FI motors with automatic trannys for some time now. But if thats your thing :twitch:

By the time the LT1 induction came out they went 4L60e so there was no throttle cable, I don't think, at any rate the brackets are super high priced, and it's a fresh tbody, so not spending another 300 bux on that for basically a small problem....need gas money.....:2nd:

By the time the LT1 induction came out they went 4L60e so there was no throttle cable, I don't think, at any rate the brackets are super high priced, and it's a fresh tbody, so not spending another 300 bux on that for basically a small problem....need gas money.....:2nd:

Yeah,you are right,coat hangers,nails,and hose clamps are pretty cheap,plus they look good too, NOT.

Yeah,you are right,coat hangers,nails,and hose clamps are pretty cheap,plus they look good too, NOT.

OK, lemme know when you going to show up and I"ll wrap tape or shrink wrap around it to make with pretty......just for you, honey.....

:bounce::clobbered:

OK, lemme know when you going to show up and I"ll wrap tape or shrink wrap around it to make with pretty......just for you, honey.....

:bounce::clobbered:

Thats ok,but i will bring you some more nails and coat hangers :skeptic:

:banghead::banghead:

My setup?? what, the cable is hidden by the dash...nothing to photo, really....

the LT1 on the L98?? I can do that easy enough....then post them here....

:beer:

Just the cable under the dash. But I guess it won't show up very well. Thought maybe you had a picture from when it was being constructed. I sort of got the impression from the comments above that some guys didn't think you really did it that way... maybe yanking their chain.:skeptic:

:banghead::banghead:

My setup?? what, the cable is hidden by the dash...nothing to photo, really....

the LT1 on the L98?? I can do that easy enough....then post them here....

:beer:

Just the cable under the dash. But I guess it won't show up very well. Thought maybe you had a picture from when it was being constructed. I sort of got the impression from the comments above that some guys didn't think you really did it that way... maybe yanking their chain.:skeptic:

IN order to see jack diddley, I would have to tear that speedo/tach cluster outta there, and that ain't happening....all I can see from bending down really lo is the tip of the cable and the clamp, with the kludge in between....

to see anything from up top, the center cluster would have to be outta there too....can't win....

I feel the entire thing is fairly self evident how to do, and no great mystery....

:trumpet::stirpot: