Pics of my mess up

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Here are some pics of my little disaster that i created.
This is what happens if i try to dry sand it with 500 grit
38498b7741ed6aa.jpg

wet sanded area,and its taking for ever with 600
38498b77449a0ab.jpg
38498b77488ddae.jpg

here is what happened when i shot the base.
38498b774c7a598.jpg

Join the club, that is a classic maybe only slightly better of why I HATE body work.....

chemistry and me are mortal enemies never got on with that crap and never will, I"m lucky to get streak/run free from a square foot of paint bomb....

serious...some 50 years worth of serious....

:clobbered:

looks like that gun is literally spitting the paint on.

Something is very wrong.

Clean it up real good and do some practice stuff before you continue.

Kevin,

All I can say is Wow! Could you have water in the air? Something is bad wrong, but you already know that! Maybe John will chime in with some words of wisdom.

Good Luck!

OK Kevin... don't panic...

Someone here on this board has the answer... meanwhile... be patient and wait for the answer...

I don't think it's a surface prep issue. Is it possible your nozzle is jacked up?

i will finish wet sanding it tomorrow,and practice on another hood i have. but yea something went real wrong :confused:

OK Kevin... don't panic...

Someone here on this board has the answer... meanwhile... be patient and wait for the answer...

I don't think it's a surface prep issue. Is it possible your nozzle is jacked up?

I dont know,it's the same set up i used on the door jambs,and they came out like glass

Kevin,

All I can say is Wow! Could you have water in the air? Something is bad wrong, but you already know that! Maybe John will chime in with some words of wisdom.

Good Luck!

dont think its water i have a separator and desiccant snake

That's ugly. I don't believe it is possible to mess up just with wrong pressure settings.... must be something wrong with the gun. Last time you used this gun you shot clear ???

Try a different gun first. If that turns out ok then you know it's the gun.

You said you shot two coats ?? How long did you wait between these two coats ? Could the second coat have lifted the first coat ?

It's difficult to tell from photos. Spray some paint on the old hood, use both guns and see how that turns out.

10 mins between coats,the last thing that went through the gun was clear,but i tore it down and soaked every thing in thinner

Holy mother! How far was the gun from the car? How fast were you moving what type of reducer did you use for the temp outside and what was the temp of the car itself? There can be a allot of things that went wrong here or a combination of things. Hard to tell exactly without being there though. When I paint I always spray a test piece first to set the gun and see how the paint is going to laid down with the temp of the day and also how I mixed it. Takes but a minute to do and it surely would have save you a ton of extra work. Sanding base is not really a common practice but in your case I would and then shoot another coat or two of base before I would clear. Reason for another coat is that the clear is going to show the sand scratches in the base. I feel so sorry for you for the extra work your going to do but you'll get it. Try spraying a test piece first next time. Even if you do it a day before you comment to the car.

Danny

10 mins between coats,the last thing that went through the gun was clear,but i tore it down and soaked every thing in thinner

I've done that too... I learned that it takes more than just soaking it in thinner to get it clean....if that stuff hardens inside the tip it's a real pain to get it out of there.... well, before I scare you too much with this you better shoot some more basecoat thru this gun and another gun to see if there's a difference...

If the gun is in fact dirty, try cleaning the nozzle and the air cap with paint stripper.... lacquer thinner will not soften or dissolve 2K clear coat once it's cured....

Thats the plan,i have another gun,and i will try them both out and see if there is a difference

Get it smooth by wet-sanding..maybe use 500 wet. Check the gun fan pattern, make it about 10 inch wide pattern at 10 inches to the panel. If the gun is spraying a good wet coat, finely atomized, your good to go. If not, try a little more reducer or the next slower temp. Don't shoot if the car or air is less than 60*F...

Get it smooth by wet-sanding..maybe use 500 wet. Check the gun fan pattern, make it about 10 inch wide pattern at 10 inches to the panel. If the gun is spraying a good wet coat, finely atomized, your good to go. If not, try a little more reducer or the next slower temp. Don't shoot if the car or air is less than 60*F...

Thanks BigG, you know to me i thought the gun was spraying fine,i had the garage at 70*,but that is a question i had,should i try a slower reducer.
well i have to get some more paper tomorrow and i will get back at it.
I know one thing for sure,that car body should be nice and flat by now after all the sanding i have done on it :nuts:

Shit Kev, you really suck at spray painting :censored:

You're using way different stuff to what I was using before I came out here 10 years ago but for my 2c worth mate, it looks like you're putting it on too thick - way too thick! Is it possible you didn't thin it enough?

Maybe gun setup - where you're pulling the trigger and dumping shit loads of paint out.

Like the guys said Kev, before you try again, use something else to paint on while you set the gun up. The old locker I used to use to stash all my bodywork and paint gear, had every colour of the rainbow on the doors :thumbs:

Looks like some reaction of the paint with the primer...

That's my thought exactly. I've seen paint react like that on a primer that wasn't compatible (for example, lacquer/enamel).

Or sometimes the primer is wiped down with a chemical to clean it prior to basecoat and the base reacts to the cleaner.

Just a thought.:suspicious:

Last edited:
Looks like some reaction of the paint with the primer...

That's my thought exactly. I've seen paint react like that on a primer that wasn't compatible (for example, lacquer/enamel).

Or sometimes the primer is wiped down with a chemical to clean it prior to basecoat and the base reacts to the cleaner.

Just a thought.:suspicious:

WE have a winner,had one of the guys from the paint store look at it,i told him my steps,and he said there is the problem,to much epoxy applied :flash: I applied 2 coats and i should have only applied 1,he said after spraying the 2 coat i should have waited at least 6hrs and when i applied the base it lifted the epoxy,with 1 coat of epoxy i would have been good after 30 min's.
So he said to wet sand it smooth again,and then just apply the base no more epoxy and it will turn out just fine.
He also said look at it this way,that body will be nice and flat and should have no scratches showing in it when i'm done.

I sanded my butt off on it today and have just 1 fender left to do and then go around and do a little touch up,and then we will try it again :sweat: