Plastic Fantastic 2

i have two sets of tires for my c5 the michelin supersports on the stock c5 rims , and the toyo proxies t1r on the zo6 rims.

I like both the tires but i dont think they would ever make it 40k, from general conversations with my friends 15 to 20k seems more like it what the "community" is getting

I'm working on getting a second set of rims, but the tires on these rims - they're 6 years old and one has a fairly sizeable chunk out of it...

I'm doing my latch right now a was really suprised how poorly that part was designed. First your pushing a small rod and it's not even aligned with the load. It also takes about 15-20 lbs to unlatch. That why the little elbow on the end is always bent (which makes things even worse).

bWbHCcih.jpg

I'm doing my latch right now a was really suprised how poorly that part was designed. First your pushing a small rod and it's not even aligned with the load. It also takes about 15-20 lbs to unlatch. That why the little elbow on the end is always bent (which makes things even worse).

bWbHCcih.jpg

it's better with the shims on either side but that's one of those are pretty terrible.... that's something I will get around to making better - but right now this is better than before a good enough for now....

do you have the space where can you run some strengthing beads down the back of the TAB to beef it up with out interfering with anything?

gZl7Zd7.jpg

I think the right fix would be bend the tab 90* to its current position, then fab a U channel to hold the pivot. Weld a bushing to the pivot then it should work just fine.... basically, the way it is now, it flops longitudinally to the car instead of simply moving in a latitudinal direction....

or put the washers on both sides, take out some of the slack by unscrewing the rod and call it a day... :3rd:

I'll let you guess the direction I went

I have no idea why GM made it that way - I get that it offsets the pivot (the rod is closer to the door then the tab the pivot pushes down to open the door), but it really seems unnecessary..

well, time to cut in fresh paint
K3MwXlq.jpg
for my UK and Aussie friends.... don't breath this crap.... I've been watching Car SOS and it strikes me every time that the problems people are suffering there are avoidable.... cutting fiberglass aerosolizes glass dust - which will cut the hell out of your lungs.edited Watching Fuzz cut fiberglass with an abrasive blade and nary a dust mask or baby powder to close the pores... off the soapbox...

tqdNtvu.jpg

two cuts down
uM2z0xI.jpg
last cut
OizhDQc.jpg
there it is.... and a chip... thankfully, the hood will be mostly flat black to reduce glare....edited
K81dc54.jpg

Covette19.... she's a black menace... hopefully soon causing wailing and gnashing of teeth on the autocourses .... likely mine, but I can dream.
zfwuT6D.jpg

That is a great "old-boaties" trick. Try this one when it "fits" - use a wet-tile saw to cut carbon fiber sheets. Keeps the mess down to a manageable level too.

BTW I hate the cold shower afterwards - but keeps the pores from opening though.

Jim

would the talc work for putting in fiberglass insulation? i usually use long sleeve shirts and just get sweaty, although these days i pay people to do that

would the talc work for putting in fiberglass insulation? i usually use long sleeve shirts and just get sweaty, although these days i pay people to do that

yes, it works especially well for that.... key is to remember it sweats off pretty quickly - thus, if you're putting it in during the winter; it works pretty well, summer, you look like you got hives (don't ask me how I know this)... and actually the comment was "I didn't realize that hives could happen in streaks"....

the best part is the running commentary by people-who-think-they're-funny who say they love their contractors to smell baby fresh....

I have more parts, but I don't dare put it on jackstands or on the lift..... the Colorado needs to be done first....

why GM used rubber suspension points in a race car is a good question (the Camaro SS donor)
but I have axle tramp and the tires seems to be moving fore and aft either under power or braking
w9HFtjm.jpg
I may, also, do some mods to the arms which adjust the rear toe.

Tires are here.... went with Toyo Proxes, 320 AA tread rating but summer tire - I think a 200 rating would be a waste at this point
​​​​​​​vitIVMDh.jpg

who knew a 315/30zr18 and 345/30zr19 could fit?edited
but I digress, I drove half way across Washington today to pick up some tires/wheels..... they're C7 Z06 wheels with Hoosier A4 tires (that are seriously date challenged 1/15 and 2/15)
fpCSzUoh.jpg
what's under it is 275/35zr18 and 305/30zr19s
JFqq0Xdh.jpg
sVNSYAFh.jpg
they fit/don't hit - the caveat is the A4 tire has quite a radius sidewall otherwise there would be problems
9Bx8vlYh.jpg
oof da they're huge
Gb7KxE6h.jpg
and they fit
3QPgcW7h.jpg
cJGy2KVh.jpg
oxyebhbh.jpg
sN2nsoLh.jpg
XsdzvLxh.jpg
uH9crtwh.jpg
HIicoufh.jpg
the 345 does fit very well on the rear
ZavpDi7h.jpg

so the puzzle, leave them the same color, paint them? paint them what? likely these will be the going to town tires and wheels (the new tires on the z06 wheels).... I'll put the slicks on the other wheels for days when I need a 40 treadwear tire....

​​​​​​​

and just for the record, sometimes I feel like I'm 3 years old and my parents gave me Thor's hammer to play with...... it may not be a good result but it will be entertaining....

something with some shine to it.....maybe a painted dark grey....like a painted cast iron color...not to silvery but clear coated with a subtle shine

onto new stuff.
poly bushings
mEhivIsh.jpg
this arm is what keeps the tire going straight and is what you adjust for rear toe
26x4Upjh.jpg
a stamped steel, rubber bushed piece of....
XJOLvkMh.jpg
this one is twisted
QdXU3Rqh.jpg
the other bent
hDivxZXh.jpg
anyone want to guess why the rear tires are moving around? smh

remove bushings
0Cy0W0fh.jpg

dpQJyJbh.jpg

tomorrow the fix is cap them with 1/16" steel and put the bushings in place. I'm really tempted to make one end an aluminum bushing...

and to answer the question, yes, there are great replacements.... $369 just for the adjustable to arms... uh, no.

​​​​​​​

Last edited:
something with some shine to it.....maybe a painted dark grey....like a painted cast iron color...not to silvery but clear coated with a subtle shine

Orange? I hear that's a thing for track cars.... they have bright painted track-only wheels :bestwishes:

if you make the bushing non absorbing isnt it going to twist the tube again? those tires are creating lots of grip