Plastic Fantastic 2

and more chinesium

so the rockers, I'm fiddling with them and several take quite a bit of effort to turn....amateurs.
nXPtnCFh.jpg
they put the clip on one side, then drove it all the way tight, then put the other clip on.... easy enough to fix, but amateurs
m1UNTjzh.jpg
dGqDweNh.jpg

then another issue... there's a wear mark on the steering shaft.... that would be bad if it failed - so time to fix
SmtPCVbh.jpg
First thought was use a Camaro shaft and replace the lower aluminum C5 one with the Camaro steel one - but just too many problems (including too short)
WOsUoLdh.jpg
look at the splines I created on the aluminum shaft.... I didn't feel it was enough - so I sleeved it with the tube on the bottom
f5fpLyLh.jpg
now no wiggle
Iu6HgHKh.jpg
then drove a roll pin through it
RC6HtJZh.jpg
U2R0ge0h.jpg
then created more space for the shaft to go through
2fRdQs3h.jpg
editedtomorrow I'll drop the side pipe then fill both the hole for the sidepipe header and open the steering hole a touch then weld a cap in there as well

and wait for the timing cover... patientlyish
​​​​​​​

time to rearrange the shop so I can continue
O5y3XAqh.jpg
first spin the Corvette around
​​​​​​​uqwbQwKh.jpg
as if by magic (and my Kioti)
Q89wk9Lh.jpg
so I can fill these holes
AQqUb6wh.jpg

I rearrange things every couple of weeks or else I just can't find stuff. I need to start throwing stuff away. Lots of stuff that is basically junk.

I rearrange things every couple of weeks or else I just can't find stuff. I need to start throwing stuff away. Lots of stuff that is basically junk.

I comfort myself with this utter lie - that when I put things back after the move that I'll organize it. That said, I have things in general areas - and that does help keep me from buying multiple replacements to stuff I put down but can no longer find :cool:

truth is our move (coming late this year), is a great impetus to get stuff either installed or in its project... my goal is haul 2 non-runners (the Buick wagon is the question mark)

...I have things in general areas - and that does help keep me from buying multiple replacements to stuff I put down but can no longer find.
In my case, I've doubled my ready storage space -- using the floor. Just makes it hard to get around!

Cheers - Jim

...I have things in general areas - and that does help keep me from buying multiple replacements to stuff I put down but can no longer find.
In my case, I've doubled my ready storage space -- using the floor. Just makes it hard to get around!

Cheers - Jim

ah yes, the 'increase the volume' principle, when we move, the shop will be 60x120.... (current is a 20x20 and a 36x32)

in other news
back to engine assembly
directions on the cam said 'no tin cam cover'... I guess they flex
so the solution
jp8yjPih.jpg
zcy9A8ph.jpg
primed the oil system... a note, large volumes of oil go out an uncapped oil galley
69b11QLh.jpg
assemble the front
GBirvUVh.jpg
still need to bolt on the intake and lash the cam
R64XK6Ih.jpg

and I need to figure out a way to get the balancer on.... my tool has disappeared...

buttoned up
hy1PjdZh.jpg
but first, valve adjust
Ed1ZO60h.jpg
es676ixh.jpg
it's interesting to me that the cast cam required 16/18 intake/exhaust, but the billet is 16/16
sigh.... it finally wrinkles - in response to brake clean on a towel
v6aOGYIh.jpg
cbPDrGDh.jpg

tomorrow should be finish up the engine compartment and drop this back in....edited

nice looking engine!!

If i had a 60x120 shop i would definitely put in some pulling dogs into the concrete maybe 8 of them. in a rectangular pattern

nice looking engine!!

If i had a 60x120 shop i would definitely put in some pulling dogs into the concrete maybe 8 of them. in a rectangular pattern

If I had a 60x120 shop, I'd no longer look at cars that need pulling :amused:

and miss all that fun, remember we have been watching what you do for fun, and we dont buy that logic for a moment

nice looking engine!!

If I had a 60x120 shop, I'd no longer look at cars that need pulling :amused:

and miss all that fun, remember we have been watching what you do for fun, and we dont buy that logic for a moment

your statement presume forethought.... I can assure you, there is very little of that going on here....

so carrying on
fixed the steering and the header issue
CuQHu9rh.jpg
new clutch clean
RYgj6Nuh.jpg
just waiting, I didn't have red loctite ... otherwise it'd be sitting in place
5aEh77wh.jpg
oh so close
​​​​​​​vKxFWbPh.jpg

Looks good. Congratulations on the future shop.

I looked, but didn't see. What clutch did you go with?

Last edited:
Monkey wrench, engaged

So I was going to bolt on the pressure plate and at least set the motor in place today.... nope, machinist messed up.... thankfully he works weekends.

For those counting you can have 2 things
1) fast
2) cheap
3) good

I guess I got 1 and 2. ah well, life goes on

Just a slight problem....
XBuVykRh.jpg
the funny thing is I'm not sold on the idea of balancing the pressure plate.... but since the 427 Eagle crank doesn't have a center balance, I begrudgingly agreed
got it back yesterday, then assembled it last night
GXdCqXIh.jpg
was supposed to have help/witnesses... but a 18" of snow ended that
R5A6PiGh.jpg
always put your motor in when there is little chance you'll be able to drive it once its in
bmKopHth.jpg

and it's in
EK7MqVOh.jpg
though I had to take the trans out to do it
XRzlMfTh.jpg
truth be told, the 1/4" block saver almost stopped me.edited I made the driveshaft really too long, but since it fits... we move on
7ygl7Syh.jpg
big floor, dropped a unique washer (for the shifter).... where the bloody hell did it go?
bUHkjCDh.jpg

looking more assembled... should make noise tomorrow
3LG5Wgkh.jpg

not much to show, Buick has been clingy lately - normally, he refuses to come into the shop...edited
0Vxj9JPh.jpg
filled the coolant system
dXe1fymh.jpg
in my rewire, I think I missed a wire - because there is no switched power... tomorrow's problem
yEsvDGYh.jpg
what's left is the belts, and the wiring issue....edited

found the electric problem.... this should be attached to a wire
li4oIZqh.jpg
assembled
1xxNKjsh.jpg
need this to make it move, though
Oy1umWoh.jpg
EmZYOpCh.jpg
(note the oil pressure? :) )
best of all, no leaks (so far).
it's alive