Plastic Fantastic 2

Just a thought - and adding more work for you - BUT as long as the block is out and "empty." Tap the 8 flow-back/drain hole in the lifter valley with a 1/4 NPT. That way if you ever decide to install a Dry Sump - you can easily add the stand off pipes Ive seen. That seems to be where I'm trying to work a solution as my engine is assembled (bottom end).

Beat it likes it owes me money - I like it (I'm taking that).
Class B and Trailer - my plan too - maybe see you on the road.:friends:

Cheers - Jim

probably a dumb question - but 1/4" stand off pipes in the lifter valley?

*edit

I see you're running a SBC. Mine is a BBC, lifter screens would probably be a good idea, but (I add this for random readers) it doesn't have the lifter-valley 'holes' that are capped or have standoffs to reduce oil dropping back through the center of the motor...

windage is a much larger problem in the limited space of a stroked SBC than it is with a destroked BBC. Jury is out whether I'm brilliant or an idiot for big-bore/short-stroke motor. Thankfully, I only play a car guy on evenings and weekends

Last edited:
time to hone
2ErQ5CJh.jpg
and then a problem (actually a couple problems)...first, the hole wasn't lined with the oil feed (not a huge deal) however, these bearings weren't looking happy, then there was the notches where they were installed... I can't imagine having to pull this all the way apart to repair cam bearings... so out they come
ZMNuBtch.jpg
the easiest way to do this...
MeIL4s9h.jpg
bonus issue... I went to clean the passages and one plug was finger tight.... 2 had thread lock, one was loose, the other was okay... I'll stake them when they go back in (and drill a hole for timing chain oiling
MqHE4Qah.jpg
that bearing probably isn't reusable....
​​​​​​​ajUxRmsh.jpg

I really like the detail you are providing on this build. I forgot you are on a BBC!
We interrupt this program..:

The general idea is two fold. Keep crap out of the bottom end, and that includes excess oil (and the scavenge does that). Tapping the holes is something I thought of as you are torn down - wish my SBC had been done at that point. And the BBC has a different layout And, OOPS - forgot you're doing a BBC.

But there are some approached to consider before you "put the lid on". Norval (sometime poster here) added a screen over his valley on his BBC to keep lifter parts out of the bottom end. Seems like good insurance screen003.jpg. Kind of a "while you at it" task. Might use a finer mesh, but the screen he added would keep out the big chunks. Milodon makes a kit, Milodon 23160 Lifter Valley Screen Kits Big Block Chevy [HINT - pitstopusa.com is over 10 bucks cheaper than ebay]. I'm going to add neo-magnets as well to my lifter valley. You can find those and install like washers at: https://www.kjmagnetics.com

Now I gotta figure something out or just deal with it as is. Wish somebody made mini-freeze plugs to pound in the holes in the lifter valley on the SBC!

Cheers - Jim

I'll add more-better info on my progress/research on the other thread.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Time to start moving in the right direction
but first remove the rest of the cam bearings...edited
kJ3nSqBh.jpg
note the problem? while it is true that BBC bearings are different diameters, this is the first I've seen where one is narrower

but now I can paint
q7MAGV3h.jpg

this stuff works well, so again....
jKLj1DYh.jpg
how to store it
Mimr1nrh.jpg

shiney
lWXMdVKh.jpg
LXGvtHEh.jpg

get it to flash so I can start assembly tomorrow
​​​​​​​48TT0TLh.jpg

that looks awesome....as to the really big mesh wire on the lifter gallery what about all the smaller stuff that can get through it, does keeping the big stuff out really make a difference if the smaller stuff is getting through it?

the reason I use non-needle bearings in both the rockers and lifters... there's nothing up or down that will shed little bits into the oil system.. the problem with BB's is they can hold oil up on the top.... which, I'd really rather not experience.

I could epoxy a screen in place - but it's a restriction... at least that's my take on it - there are other opinions.

time to build
AoTea5Wh.jpg
cam bearings in
tBehKv5h.jpg
0jZjmhth.jpg
rjctjw4h.jpg
vMeaa4Kh.jpg
rear plug in place
​​​​​​​HG63aHKh.jpg
my clever way of figuring out which bolts hold the windage tray
2KzD9Qfh.jpg
studly
HliYF4Th.jpg
.042 above the deck (yes, I know the piston is in upside dow)
vhuxJyOh.jpg
ZPCiMUkh.jpg
I figured when it took .040 to get the deck right that I'd be using spacer gaskets... 080 to the rescue
N8ep425h.jpg
and while I'm at it, mark the balancer
N2WTfy8h.jpg
ffreOFOh.jpg

in other news, this idea needs some work... I'm not a fan of using the aluminum steering shaft, but welding aluminum to steel is beyond my abilities
OlkVUrGh.jpg
so that's a Camaro one.... problem is it's splined rather than flatted.... I may fix that... but we'll see

Last edited:
In other news, Wilwood Corvette Challenge. There is no way this year, but I can totally see doing it in 2022.... As long as the car is reliable, I can store it in S. Cal or Vegas.. they fly and drive..... but let's see how this first round goes... I know there's a mountain of knowledge to gain and all I see are the foothills.

the reason I use non-needle bearings in both the rockers and lifters... there's nothing up or down that will shed little bits into the oil system.. the problem with BB's is they can hold oil up on the top.... which, I'd really rather not experience.

interesting and I had thought my roller bearing rocker arms was a good thing never thought about it that way, of course they repalced the stamped rockers that broke.

nice photos i definitely am living this build vicariously

I share your concern. :thumbs:

I made one exception, that being a needle thrust bearing between the cam sprocket and the block. It is the one part that causes me frequent concern when running the engine hard on track days.

interesting and I had thought my roller bearing rocker arms was a good thing never thought about it that way, of course they replaced the stamped rockers that broke.

nice photos i definitely am living this build vicariously

The stock LS that brought needle bearing rocker concern to the world - however, it was a friend who is running a BBC 427 in Miss Blue (something or another) that lunched at least 2 motors due to roller bearings set loose in the motor that convinced me. (they're also the ones who are getting 1100 hp NA out of a BBC 427 - that also helped but I'm not running 14:1 or methanol so my mountain is not quite as monsterous).

onward with the motor.
$15.00 engine bags? uh no, how about 10 for $35.00 100 gallon trash tote liners?editededited
sJmBCvBh.jpg
measure the end play
52Me0Vlh.jpg
to spec
eyeball the scraper
5Av2tT6h.jpg
seems fine
wrW3PJ9h.jpg
hmm... problem
e12qWJeh.jpg
clean and reassemble the oil pump (with new pickup)
XmbamiWh.jpg

time to assemble pistons (can't do the scraper without the pistons in)
8A9j4kdh.jpg
and yet.... it's now a 4 cylinder
KmMD3ovh.jpg
lS5pUo3h.jpg

​​​​​​​

Storytime... doesn't include scraper... well, it doesn't end in a scraper
but first things first, I owe the motor 4 more pistons
number 8.... and yes, I bought a one-size piston ring compressor.... break one ring, once, and you'll (like me) think this is cheap insurance
eCfuBRuh.jpg

started marking it out
gQ39yYmh.jpg
realized that I'd take most of it off... for very little (if any) benefitedited
nt1pIjUh.jpg
because there is also a windage tray
QoRhuyxh.jpg
however, as I pointed out before - it hits the pan
2JWf2PRh.jpg

next up, remove the stud, cut 3/8" off, reinstall...edited

your engine building skills are way over mine....(thats a good thing) the blue thing is a scraper to remove oil on the rotating mass? or is it to give you pan clearance or both?

your engine building skills are way over mine....(thats a good thing) the blue thing is a scraper to remove oil on the rotating mass? or is it to give you pan clearance or both?

yep, scraper now scrap.... after I got to the windage tray mounted I realized that the scraper was doing nothing but creating the possibility of an oil leak (because the windage tray is within .040 of the weights).

To be clear about something.I measured the main caps with the original bolts and with the studs torqued to spec, there was no difference in diameter IN CAPITAL LETTERS, YOU MUST CHECK THIS but in this case, there was no need to hone.

I just got my new gasket yesterday, and today the rails came for my oil pan. The Fel-Pro gasket has these cool "doofers" to screw into the block, and then snap in the gasket to hold while installing the pan. Something I'll need while laying under the car. I'm jealous of your engine work and being out of the chassis.

I've got to wait for the Ceracoat to arrive next week to spray the pan (outside heat transfer coating). Then I'll catch up -- HAHA!

Seriously nice work there.

Cheers - Jim

catch up... I'm so far behind already...

trimmed
jA2ZE5J.jpg
wooohooo?
g6J1Bbs.jpg
ah no
look close, the back is too high
g6J1Bbs.jpg
glE1KkRh.jpg
I suspect it's hitting the rear stands... but tomorrow I'm getting a replacement endoscope and can check easily enough.... still hope to have it in the car this weekend.
though, before I noticed the pan was too far back - I measured the clearance.... 1/2" is enough
jkmqVvzh.jpg
gp6tlSph.jpg
VkS9X5rh.jpg
time to find all the pieces to degree the cam
6R1edb9h.jpg
it's been long enough that I forgot the degree wheel attaches to the crank spinner
lHRngNPh.jpg

onward
as much as I hated the thought, these were hitting too
QyXgaDfh.jpg
bnzb8COh.jpg
I may not have charitable thoughts towards Moroso.... but then again, GM really didn't move those around at all
OWcQ8pCh.jpg
just a bit of grinding and cutting and it fits fine
nvO5MyQh.jpg

have to set the cam button, but need the gasket in place
nIsaxOVh.jpg

and check clearance... it 'should' be fine, now I know it will be fine
faWsfBph.jpg
SqyoCA1h.jpg
xKWDOUMh.jpg
I love a well-studded head
c0gpK6oh.jpg
starting to look like a motor again