$2500 1977 Rebuild thread!

Do you have an idea of how far you want/have to go?

Here is the game plan. Keep in mind it is subject to change along the way.

1st part = Replace front and rear bumpers, add Pace Car chin spoiler, Add Pace car rear wing and fit new big block hood. fix all body defects and paint car the new Atomic Orange with pearl dark silver stripes.

2nd part = remove engine and trans and clean and paint engine bay. Put car on lift and clean and paint underside of car. Replace all brake lines and brakes along with all suspension bushings and u-joints.

3rd part = Clean and reseal engine and repaint engine chevy orange with orange pearl clear coat. Install TPI until on motor and reinstall in car. Still debating on transmission selection. Complete all wiring, fuel and AC (yes it will have air).

4th part = Replace all broken interior parts, install new seats, install harness bar, new carpet and replace all switches and controls in console.

5th part = Drive car like it is stolen, repeat as necessary!!
The 5th parts sounds like the most fun to me!

1st day of tear down

Was finally able to go out and do some work on the 79 tonight. Here is what we were able to get done tonight.

Front bumper is off along with the headlights out.
_IGP6845.jpg

Found something VERY interesting! When they painted the car they decided to fix the warped bumper with bondo. They had done such a good job you could not even tell until it started popping off in sheets 1/2 inch thick.
_IGP6847.jpg
_IGP6827.jpg

Removed the rear window that was held in by a few dabs of clear RTV.
_IGP6841.jpg

removed 1/2 of the dash
_IGP6839.jpg

removed part of the console
_IGP6840.jpg

_IGP6849.jpg

t-top bar hardware removed
_IGP6830.jpg

Removed all the wiring from a previous stereo system.
_IGP6844.jpg

Parts all ready to start sanding on.
_IGP6843.jpg

_IGP6846.jpg

That is all for now.

spent today polishing a set of factory allum wheels that we traded the rally wheels for. Spent about 3 hours doing all 4 wheels. These will be used for track use eventually and going with some after market ones for the street.
wheels.jpg

Last edited:
spent today polishing a set of factory allum wheels that we traded the rally wheels for. Spent about 3 hours doing all 4 wheels. These will be used for track use eventually and going with some after market ones for the street.
wheels.jpg

Looks great, Phil. I've got several sets of those that need some attention one of these days (okay, months). Any advice?

wheels.jpg

Looks great, Phil. I've got several sets of those that need some attention one of these days (okay, months). Any advice?

I did a lot of testing at work on one of the wheels to find the fastest and easiest way to get them to look good. We grind and polish the props at work all day so it was a good place to do some testing. Here is what I came up with that allowed me to do all 4 in around 3 hours.

1. Sand blast wheels
2. Purchased 3M GRAY color 2 inch Roloc scotch brite pads
3. Used the 3M pads on an angle die grinder on the wheels with alluminum polish that came from a truck stop. It is used for the fuel tanks on trucks. The polish acts like a lube to keep it from scratching heavy.
4. If any areas have curb rash you can fix it with the red scotch brite.
5. After going over the entire wheel with the Roloc wipe it clean with windex and a towel.
6. I then purchased a polish kit at Harbor Freight for 12 bucks. I used the large wheel on the die grinder with the same aluminum polish. Trick here is not use use much at all or it just loads up the wheel.
7. I then polished the wheels by hand with a rag and mothers aluminum polish. I went over them 2 times and it looks as if the more times you go over them the better they look.

Now that they are polished we are going to paint the cut out areas and the center a metallic gray where they were black from the factory.

Finally was able update the post! This was where we were at 2 weeks ago. The car was stripped and ready for body work and paint.
_IGP6990.jpg
_IGP6991.jpg
_IGP6992.jpg
_IGP6994.jpg
_IGP6986.jpg
_IGP6993.jpg
_IGP6989.jpg
The color of choice will be "Atomic Orange Metallic"
3505081860_66048f6290.jpg

This is where we are at today!
Front bumper fitted and installed
_IGP7016.jpg
_IGP7017.jpg

More body work completed on the sides along with closing in the door lock holes, no need for those.
_IGP7019.jpg
_IGP7026.jpg
_IGP7018.jpg

Next is to fit the rear bumper and install.
_IGP7022.jpg

HAHA....I did the same thing on my '72 vert, no door locks, why bother to lock a convertible??

:crap::drink:

looks great so far. :thumbs:

nice color choice but will the atomic orange look good with those flames stickers or are you not going to put these back on after painting it ???

LOL

:D

spent some time today cleaning some engine parts up. We bought a complete TPI setup off a friend for $300 bucks to put on the car and get rid of the carburetor.

Parts before!
_IGP7027.jpg
_IGP7037.jpg

Parts after!
_IGP7048.jpg
_IGP7049.jpg
_IGP7051.jpg

Made a little progress on the car. All the body panels are on now and it is in 1st coat of primer. We should have some paint on it in the next few days. Here is some photos of the updated progress.
_IGP7093.jpg
_IGP7077.jpg
_IGP7084.jpg
_IGP7078.jpg
_IGP7087.jpg
_IGP7088.jpg

I have a quick question for you guys! Look at the rear wing and its position on the rear deck. If you notice it is moved forward off the rear bumper. This was actually a screw up when the guy helping do the body work mounted it for us. After seeing it I actually like where it is positioned.

I would like some input (don't worry wont be offended if you do not like it) on the position of it and if anybody even noticed.

Damn, Phil, you work fast. :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing the completed car next time I'm up there.

Thanks Mike! This is actually a fun project and we are also curious to see how it looks when done compared to when we first brought it home.

Well today there was some paint put on the car. The base silver went on first.
_IGP7258.jpg
_IGP7265.jpg
_IGP7276.jpg

Next was to put the orange candy over the top of the silver.
_IGP7281.jpg
_IGP7283.jpg

Everybody stand by there has been some changes with this project. We had a MAJOR issue with the paint process and had to make some drastic changes.

Will update soon!