427Swedes new Project?

Nice Work! Wish I made one too. As it was, I rolled the vette over on its side - risky at best, but when propped and "suspended" I was able to get done what I needed. I would have done so much more with a rotisserie like yours.

Cheers - Jim

Nice Work! Wish I made one too. As it was, I rolled the vette over on its side - risky at best, but when propped and "suspended" I was able to get done what I needed. I would have done so much more with a rotisserie like yours.

Cheers - Jim

Thank's Jim!

To be comfortable and have a good working environment seems moore and moore important the older I get. The garage is warm and nice, the lighting is good and the stereo is playing classic heavy metal from the 70:s and 80:s, I really like spending my evenings and weekends there:drink:

I´m continuing the investigation of this car and what it has gone through.
I got all registration and owner data on the car from the governments historic archives. A nice service, almost for free!
I found out that the car was first registred in Sweden 1974, October 31. In total there has been 9 owners including me. I have the name and adresses on all previous owners so I might call a few of them (if they are alive..) and get some background info on the car.
It was last used in traffic 1985.

I found this on the drivers side rear fender. A thick layer of body filler. almost 1/2":crap: This fender is so bad that it will be scrapped and replaced anyway.

187754970d99e4899.jpg

187754970d99b434b.jpg

My son, 18 years, has helped me remove all the body seam filler inside the car. A slow going work but a must to do before sandblasting

187754970d98b5721.jpg

Halfway...
187754970ef142dcc.jpg
187754970ebd3b9e0.jpg

Also the underside has been cleaned using a chisel and a knife. All undercoating is now removed.
187754987842ae7d7.jpg

I also discovered that the car was crashed in the rear... Both rear frame pieces are bent. The buckling can bee seen at the bend in the frame piece.
We have made a few preliminary measurements and it does not look too bad.

However, both fenders must come off, the wheel housings must be replaced, both rear frame parts and complete trunk floor will be replaced with new parts.
The rear inner and outer panel (where the rear lights attach) is beyond salvage and the inner rear quarters are toast.
The front fenders must also be replaced and most likely, I will go for an complete RS front and a new cowl induction hood.
Basically, only the roof, floor and doors will be spared:sick:

Rear frame, the worst side. They are supposed to be bent but not like this.
187754987842250d8.jpg

A little bit better at the other side. Difficult to see the buckling, but it is there.
187754987842784bc.jpg

Yes, it looks like Classic Industries have all parts for an RS conversion
I can also get the complete RS front in a one piece fibreglass unit here in Sweden from the company RP fibreglass. They have fibreglass parts for almost any popular American made car.
Sheet metal parts is on stock here as well at the company VP parts. They even have complete new bodys for Camaros and Mustangs in the warehouse!

Is it possible to "convert" a 74-up to a RS front and rear with new parts?

Probably takes a lot of effort... The hood is the same but front fenders ( I think), rear fenders and rear panel must be changed. Probably more stuff as well. I do not have much knowledge about the Camaros yet.
I have found that there is an never ending supply of parts, chassie kits and companys making parts for these cars. It is overwhelming for me at this stage:huh:

Continuing to chip off all the body filler on this car... It is everywhere in thick, thick layers:banghead:

I managed to get hold of one of the previous owners on the phone the other day! This gentleman owned the Camaro from 1975 to 1984, the longest period for this car with 1 owner.
Anyway, he was now 81 years old and remembered the car very well. His wife actually checked the registration number on the car a while back to see if it was still alive!
He said he had it painted in blue flip-flop paint with Z28 letters on the hood. He had twin carburetors on it and alot of go fast stuff on the engine, whatever that used to be 1975. He confirmed the rear end hit on the car. It happened right after he had it painted and apparently there was difficulties to repaint the car. It had to be done several times before they got it right and it was no longer blue but black.
I have sent him some photos of the car in it´s present state and i have asked him to look if he has any photos from his ownership.

Many, many layers of paint...

187754a99bb99be05.jpg

Never ending body filler. (roof-rear quarter seam)
187754a99bb9e52a0.jpg

Removed the front cowl sheet plate. A new is on order.
Everything looks good in this area. Only surface rust and no damage.
I have started to weld in braces in the body to maintain the structural integrity of the car. More braces will be added soon.

187754a99bbabe432.jpg

187754a99bbaf3fc8.jpg

The fenders removed. A lot of drilling to remove the welds (I´m actually using a spot weld remover)

187754a99bbb306c9.jpg

Rear trunk extensions. Rust, rust and more rust...
Right side:
187754a99bbb613af.jpg

Left side:
187754a99bbb96344.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what a huge project, great to see an old and abused classic get a new life .

Keep it up, pro work as always :thumbs:

May I suggest admins move this restoration to another thread with a proper name.
It will give it more visibility, and you will eventually post updates about the Vette project.