63 Corvette resto

One side on the front done, door fixed. Ground out the other side, glassed the rest of the rear and the door. Still have to glass in the dr. side front. Also removed most of the seams in the front clip (gelcoat)

24f15e93e0f62e.jpg

24f15e93ec6f69.jpg

what's your plan for primer ?? That white coating is very slick, I'd hit it with 100 grit for good "mechanical" adhesion and grip... then spray a good epoxy primer like PPG DP series, let that sit for a day or two and spray urethane high build primer. Spray the epoxy in black or white, the sandable high build primer is grey, that way you can see when you're sanding thru the high build primer ... by the time you're done spraying primer you'll have a good feel for the gun.
Are you going to paint it or send it to a shop ??

The painter will have the pleasure of doing that. I'm doing the glass work and that's it. I don't want to fill, block and sand this damned thing :D

I thought you wanted to learn how to paint? Shooting primer is a great way to get a feel for the gun.... it won't run unless you stop moving the gun LOL.... it needs to be block sanded anyways.
I would also try to avoid getting bare filler or fiberglass wet, don't take it outside when it's raining, it will take a while to get it dry, they might have to bake it at the painter's before spraying epoxy primer.... moisture trapped in the fiberglass will bubble the epoxy primer.

I don't think the owner would appreciate me experimenting on his car LOL

This car has been inside for years, there's no moisture on it anyhere.

C'mon..... that really would give it a "personal touch" LOL

about the moisture: yes, that's why I'm saying seal it with epoxy before it gets wet ;)

C'mon..... that really would give it a "personal touch" LOL

about the moisture: yes, that's why I'm saying seal it with epoxy before it gets wet ;)

that's a real trick when you need to wetsand the thing.

I may end up doing the epoxy after all.......

fixed the rear quarter
24f1dd4224cc4c.jpg

24f1dd4230b568.jpg

used some striping tape to get the belt line perfect, it needed some tweaking after this

24f1dd42463786.jpg

And more damage, this area is buggered so I used some play doh to get a surface to work on. Haven't continued with this part yet. Did fix the other door and the hood (no pics)

24f1dd423af28e.jpg

Well well..the new rear panel finally came in. There was a long wait because this was not in stock and had to be manufactured upon ordering. OK, that can happen. Panel came in, it's an ACI part and guess what, date of manuf is on the label glassed into it. Date... 11-14-2011 .. we wuz lied to! So..the panel is here and it fits like crap. I was expecting this but it's a disappoitment still. I made it fit as good as it would go but still needs a ton of glass work to make it flush, especially on the top. The gel coat is about 3mm thick in spots. What a POS!!!

24f5fb6468c1f5.jpg

Oh...new wheels :) knock offs :)

24f5fb646d9432.jpg

24f5fb6463963c.jpg

I'm about done with this thing. Just have to drill some holes for lights, bumpers and some other stuff but the major body work is done. I don't think I will do the filing and sanding on it..I don't feel like doing it LOL.

The final bits were quite tricky, these sure were some hard sections to fix. Especially the fender ips that some prev. owner ground off for tire clearance and the broken part in the rain gutter for the tonneau cover. I think it came out OK in the end

The whitish part was repaired
24f7f8d1085312.jpg

ill fitting rear bumper after a lot of fitting, cutting, glassing and sanding. Advise to anyone else, buy a GM panel if at all possible, it's worth it.

24f7f8d1189011.jpg

The fenders...took a lot of effort to get it straight and factory looking

24f7f8d123e899.jpg

24f7f8d12e1dca.jpg

24f7f8d1390168.jpg

guy changed his mind, found this set of knock offs...what he always wanted

guy changed his mind, found this set of knock offs...what he always wanted

what keeps those things from loosening up? I was just looking at a Viper ACR and it has 1 big nut holding the wheel on. There is a spring lever keeping the nut from backing off too far.

The threads are L&R hand on the center nuts, for the rest...hammer them down tight..that's it. Not my pick either!!

The threads are L&R hand on the center nuts, for the rest...hammer them down tight..that's it. Not my pick either!!

TT, you making me scratch my ass now, trying to remember, wasn't there a special tool that grabbed the corners of the knock off, and was hit with a hammer....?? had a non metalic insert so as not mess up the chrome...??

I have a old K/O from a Brit? sports car around here, two fins and chrome, used for a ash tray maybe 40? years ago....still have it....

Says UNDO>>>--->>> and UNDO just under one wing, and Right Side just above the other wing....this case it's two wings....:cool::lol:

the wheels are going to look great on that car :thumbs:

heck, that car is going to look great even you throw a set of rusted rallies on there....

Well it's done...it's @ the paint shop now. The front end especially took a whole lot of finssing to make it fit right, these clips are made like crap the contours are not correct and because they are made from a mold pulled off a car the inside contours of the glass is all wrong a lot of it is too thick especially in the corners and the wrong shape. If you want to do this get a sermersheims front clip! Unless you are hotrodding something not to be meant to look stock.

Replacement headlight bucket, all wrong...but it does fit...somewhat

250a258979aa16.jpg

Woops won't close adjusted all the way forward. Time to break out the grinder and F up the mounting holes :(

250a25897dcbe9.jpg

Got the rear replacement panel smoothed out completely, took a lot of work.. doesn't fit properly either.

250a258971dc97.jpg

250a258975c4ad.jpg

Took a lot of work on the hood hinges to get it like this. I cut them up and tig welded them back together and added material to be able to adjust the hood to the correct position.

250a25896ce4a4.jpg

I reworked all the gaps on this car this is as good as it's gonna get...

250a258968e513.jpg

250a258964b2be.jpg

250a258960b711.jpg

250a25895bcec9.jpg

The holes for the door locks and handles were repaired also all had cracks and chunks missing

Ugly un-even gap between bucket and opening it's even worse than this pic shows if you open the bucket so the high line on it (the front edge if closed) lines up with the opening. The uckets ar also too short...or the front end si the wrong shape most likely since the factory bucket on the other side doesn't fit properly either. Furthermore there's a ton of glue and crap on the underside that I had to grind away or the buckets would not even open without hitting! Quality pieces!! ahum!

after a bunch of glassing, sanding and finessing this is how it's now. Lines all match, only needs a skim of filler and it'll be OK

250a2589456d4b.jpg

250a25894a5f4b.jpg

250a25894ead11.jpg

goodbye..off you go!

250a25b569e6f3.jpg