69-72 BBC Core support

cajos1968

Guy's
Can any one with a 69-72 BBC (any 27" will do, I think) take some measurements of the radiator support core brackets location for me. Small schematic with some basic dimensions is fine. (location from top/bottom and left/right)

I finally found some rust on the car, my core support is . . . well lets say lost it's structural integrity, and I lost some brackets along the line. Thank god it's the only rust I have on the car. Unfortunately it is too expensive sending a new one over. So I'm trying to fix it myself. Some sheet metal and new brackets should do the trick. I have a hard time placing/locating the new radiator brackets.

I'm not 100% what the distance was but I think I remember it was 29.5" ??? Anyway, why not take it out, weld in a fresh bottom (assume doesn't have to be ncrs correct, just functional). mock up the thing with the rad in place and then position the brackets? That's what i did on the 69 bb shroud that was completely rusted out.

Here's how I fixed it:

24a1db2c0ae4f0.jpg

24a1db2c176a68.jpg

24a1db2c21e424.jpg

24a1db2c2abddd.jpg

24a1db2c362a25.jpg

The lower cradle brackets are 27.5 center to center. There is a lower flat "shelf" on the support that should measure 26.5 inches long. You can use this shelf to center the cradle brackets.

As far as the position top to bottom, I don't have a good reference. You could set the radiator in the support with the top bolt in brackets and then weld the bottom brackets in place?

Yes the lower part is gone, similar to TT's. This was repaired before, what a mess.
That's a good idea TT, I'll just mock it up with the rad.

Before I can continue on the Vette I have to fix the family car (Fiat Multipla, Yes I know :tth: ) Have to replace the exhaust down pipe but can't get the damn nuts off :bomb::bomb:. Things are stuck, tried it hot, cold drenched it in WD40, only one of 4 is off.

Last edited:
I measured 28" center to center on my new BB core support. I better check to see if this is right.

First go on repair

I had a shot at welding up the core support. Unfortunately it is to far gone to make heads and tails of it. The steel is to thin after being freed of rust and the holes are to big to make a descend piece of it. I will need to order a new one. I looked at willcox, that seems to be the good option $275 and $125 shipping.

Anyone come across a better deal?

The one in the pics above was completely gone on the bottom. It's pretty easy to fabricate the lower half, especially if you are not NCRS correct in your attempt.

I had to replace the bottom foot of mine in my 76 and all I had was an old A/C buzz box that will blow more holes in the good steel than you can imagine and I still managed to get it done and solid. If I can do it you for sure can (I'm an idiot).