700r4 swap

YES it will, but you need to find one from a '88 up van, then put in a TRANS GO shift kit when you rebuild it.....

You will need the tail section, drive & driven gear and speedo drive head off your old tranny.

You will need the tail section, drive & driven gear and speedo drive head off your old tranny.

82? tail section?? thought they were fit the shark frame...??

not the C4.... speedo shit is of course...

:stirpot:

Well, if he does what Gene says and gets a alter tranny, chances are it's set up for an electric speedo, so he'll have to change all that. If he gets the trans from an F body it's set up for a torque arm that attaches much like the c-beam on a C4 corvette, although they do use a tranny mount (1 bolt only) Where did your tranny come out of?

i think mine came out of an impala or a caprice, and i didnt have to modify anything other then the lock up stuff and tv spring

Well, if he does what Gene says and gets a alter tranny, chances are it's set up for an electric speedo, so he'll have to change all that. If he gets the trans from an F body it's set up for a torque arm that attaches much like the c-beam on a C4 corvette, although they do use a tranny mount (1 bolt only) Where did your tranny come out of?

I know the case was a HD truk, and the guts were all 89 and up. Tailshaft? Dunno. Frank Kester built it. I wiould have to ask him.

Mine in this '72 for some years was a late '87 unit, had the aux valve body, and many updates....had a Superior/Fairbanks shift kit....POS....that tranny never did behave right....went into shitting the 3/4 clutch pack for the 2nd time and I decided to build a 200 4r, Danny/ 6' and I talked during the project...maybe 5? years ago now...

I know the tranny came from a car....that's all...

:(

I got one from an 88 somethingorother, and needed to swap the tail piece, so the mount would fit on the 82 Vette.

I got one from an 88 somethingorother, and needed to swap the tail piece, so the mount would fit on the 82 Vette.

INteresting, the 700 sat on the tranny mount bracket modified and left over from the '72 Muncie...

:mime:

I have a 700r4 out of my '82. Tranny was fine, shifted good, has shift kit, rebuilt some time in past but do not know full history, would smoke the tires through three gears. Just wanted a manual tranny, so it is now collecting dust. Tranny, flywheel, shifter, Lokar cables, stock torque converter, starter.

It's yours for free, no kidding, just $ 1500 shipping to you. :bounce: Sorry, that was the ebay side of my brain.

Make me an offer. My wife would love to see some of my old stuff leave.

tt

Last edited:
I decided to rebuild the original trans. Many problems with tail shaft swap etc.

Had a guy with 26 years experience do the job. Went with the transgo shift kit.
I will not have excessive HP and the original trans lasted 27 years.

Very happy with the results. Shifts are rock solid and even got a 3rd gear scratch.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

I decided to rebuild the original trans. Many problems with tail shaft swap etc.

Had a guy with 26 years experience do the job. Went with the transgo shift kit.
I will not have excessive HP and the original trans lasted 27 years.

Very happy with the results. Shifts are rock solid and even got a 3rd gear scratch.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::devil::1st: