'72 OEM distributor end play

gdh

I measured mine and it is .025. There are so many conflicting posts that I have found that state it should be btn .004 and .012 and also that GM original spec variation was btn .012 and.09. I have a Petronix II in it and has been running great for the past 12 yrs.
Given that I am replacing the gear with a melonized one now is a good time to add a shim or 2 if needed. Won't be running 1/4's anymore as I'm ready to swap in the new ZZ383 so won't be seeing high rpm's. Plan on using the vette as a cruiser.
Now I have to find a suitable coil mounting bracket as the new GM intake makes no provisions for one.

If it were me I would go with the .004-.012.

Yet, I have pulled dizzys out of engines with .125 end play, and never noticed it running badly......go figger.....but IF I recall right, they were old Pontiacs.....:lol:

Was at 3 auto parts specialty places today. I asked about shim kits for the distr, none had a clue as they couldn't find a parts listing in the database. Went to a NAPA and looked for grey hair, we had a fun discussion.

Was at 3 auto parts specialty places today. I asked about shim kits for the distr, none had a clue as they couldn't find a parts listing in the database. Went to a NAPA and looked for grey hair, we had a fun discussion.

Moroso

Talked to Moroso last week, they are on backorder. One of the problems that we have up here in Canada is that it can cost nearly $20 to have a $6 part shipped up from the US. The customer rep said that the shims have been on backorder for 1 month and could be another month or 2. I'll ask my neighbour if the shop he works at has some in sizes that I can use.

Talked to Moroso last week, they are on backorder. One of the problems that we have up here in Canada is that it can cost nearly $20 to have a $6 part shipped up from the US. The customer rep said that the shims have been on backorder for 1 month and could be another month or 2. I'll ask my neighbour if the shop he works at has some in sizes that I can use.

Pull a few dizzies from a junkyard.....and know that the top bushing/bearing will slide in/out of the housing and affect the amount of 'shims' you use at the bottom, but of course you need aware of the engagement into the oil pump....

so what amounts to is, you maybe not in the bind you thinking of....

worth the time to look, anyway, nice day, walk around BS with other guys looking after their parts.....

:eek::twitch::trumpet: