74 Seats Redo

4 SPEED

Is it worth trying to redo leather seats yourself or have a PRO do them?
This would be with new foam and leather covers.

Mine are leather pattern, done in vinyl....

I picked up one slick trick from a trim guy up north, take a plastic garbage bag and open it up, lay over the foam that allows the seat cover to slide over easy, and makes install simple,

another thing I have done is use tie wraps in place of the hog rings, makes adjusting the seat covers much easier.....

My present seats been there for some pushing 8-10 years now...daily driver....'72 vert in FLORIDA heat/sun......:amazed::bounce:

Depends if you like the seats as they are, or you want to make changes - such as more bolster.... stock, pretty straightforward to do yourself, with changes - at least for me - requires a great deal of skill to make the seats look/feel right

The muscles between your elbow and wrist must be very strong to get the seat covers over the front of the foam cushion, assuming you're going to install new foam. The new foam will appear to be too big. In fact it is a little too big. I watched my 70 seats being recovered by an Al Knoch employee at the Pomona, Ca swap meet. He used what looked like a butcher knife to trim a litte off here and there. Very happy with the job. Got to meet Al also, very interesting guy to talk too.

Al will also sell you a video of seats being recovered if you're interested. I think the video is $25 ($$$$$).

Depends if you like the seats as they are, or you want to make changes - such as more bolster.... stock, pretty straightforward to do yourself, with changes - at least for me - requires a great deal of skill to make the seats look/feel right

The muscles between your elbow and wrist must be very strong to get the seat covers over the front of the foam cushion, assuming you're going to install new foam. The new foam will appear to be too big. In fact it is a little too big. I watched my 70 seats being recovered by an Al Knoch employee at the Pomona, Ca swap meet. He used what looked like a butcher knife to trim a litte off here and there. Very happy with the job. Got to meet Al also, very interesting guy to talk too.

Al will also sell you a video of seats being recovered if you're interested. I think the video is $25 ($$$$$).

Use the slick plastic garbage bag or other similar plastic trick,and it all slides in place slick as snot on a brass doorknob.....to quote a old High Skool phrase.......:devil:

the over plumb foam is made for a show car look, really tight covers that if done like that will set like steel, way toooo uncomfy for your asses....

and those are the words of my old auto trim guy up north, NOT mine..

:lol::crutches: