82 Front/Rear Brake Pads Same Size?

Luster

Compulsively Anal
I just picked up some Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads today for my '82 front and rear. I'm installing them tomorrow and I just noticed they gave me the exact same pads for both front and rear.

Just checking so I don't get halfway through the job and have to return the rears for different pads.

Is that correct? Front/Rear the same?

Thats correct,the front & rear pads are the same. Be sure to compress the pistons and remove One pad at a time. you can use the old pad to compress the pistons than remove it and replace with the new one. I do the inner pad first than the outer.

Just in case you have to bleed your brakes,heres the order

According to the service manual,

left rear inner, left rear outer
right rear inner, right rear outer
left front
right front

Thanks! I got the job done today. It's really pretty easy because you don't have to remove the calipers.

The first three took about 15-20 minutes each and that included giving each one a shot of fresh paint.

Then I got to number 4. What a nightmare it turned into. All four pistons were locked up. So I went over to O'Reilly's and picked up a new caliper.

Well, in the process, I managed to accidently damage a brake line. Fortunately, it was the closest one to the master cylinder so it was a pretty easy fix to replace it.

So the first 3 took less than 1 hour. The last one took 4 hours!!!!:bonkers::mad:

Lesson learned.

Thanks! I got the job done today. It's really pretty easy because you don't have to remove the calipers.

The first three took about 15-20 minutes each and that included giving each one a shot of fresh paint.

Then I got to number 4. What a nightmare it turned into. All four pistons were locked up. So I went over to O'Reilly's and picked up a new caliper.

Well, in the process, I managed to accidently damage a brake line. Fortunately, it was the closest one to the master cylinder so it was a pretty easy fix to replace it.

So the first 3 took less than 1 hour. The last one took 4 hours!!!!:bonkers::mad:

Lesson learned.

Locked up? Are you sure the brake hose was not collapsed?

:iagree: it's impossible for these pistons to lock up with the side clearance they have, the only way is if the hose is collapsed, sort of acting like a checkvalve or there's some other kind of obstruction.

Just went through same thing two weeks ago on friend's 72. The brake line where it droops down collected crud over the past 30 years. Pulled and found that to be true. Rod'ed out for temp fix with welding rod, later replaced with good SS lines.

tt

Good point..... Luster just to be on the safe side check/replace the hose's just to be sure.

Thanks... did that. I can't explain it, but those pistons wouldn't budge, not even with the caliper off the car and in my hands! They also looked like "Bubba" had been jacking with them (scratch marks/gouges, which I didn't do.) I should have taken pics before I traded them in for the core.

Also, the guy at O'Reilly's told me that the reason they keep these calipers in stock all the time, is that it's a "common problem". (???):amused:

I didn't ask him to elaborate. (B/S Flag.)