82 Horn Spring, Eyelet, Insulator

gr8vet

Going over why my horn has never worked, I found all systems good, as long as I drop a bolt in the eyelet and jump to ground, at the top of the column. I have a schematic of sorts from the assembly manual describing this area but not the parts. I guess I am missing the spring, some type of rod, and the big question is there an insulator on the tip?

How do folks rig this up or do I need to try and get OE parts?

THanks in advance.

tt

What eyelet are you talking about? The insulator is in the contact ring, without spring pressure the 2 halves are separated. You do have the large spring in place??

Just saw the missing parts at Zip. Spring, Rod, and it appears a plastic cap. What actually contacts when all of this is depressed? i.e. hate to pay $20 parts and $20 shipping for crap I have laying around in garage. :thumbs: I would imagine it all may add up to less than $1.00 at cost.

thanks

Here ya go, a picture, this is what I am missing.

Fullscreen%20capture%201112010%2044829%20PM.jpg

that's still a good GM service part
sold exactly like you have pictured with all 3 elements in the package

any GM store can get it - ask for horn contact brush
fits many Corvettes as well as other GM

Thanks guys!

I checked with local Chevy dealer, they are saying no longer available, which in our area means nothing. Rik's has a great price, hate that dang $10.95 shipping...

Thanks again!
tt

As a temp fix, until I can get to GM supplier. I took a ball point pen spring, stuck an aluminum rivet through it, cut to length. I found that the rod (rivet) acts as a landing spot for the contact leg from the top mount thing. The spring I guess keeps it from loosing contact over time. Thus far, works like a champ. I will not leave it this way. Stuck horn + car show, not a kewl thing. :eek:

Hey guys, thanks for input.
tt

Went and looked to see if I had kept the parts. Sure enough (I don't throw stuff out) I've got the pin to replace the rivet that you used.

If you want it PM me your address and it's yours. My horn works, re-used the old pin.

As far as the spring, I don't have that. BUT, basically all it is, is a ball point pen spring.