82 shorty header question

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
I vaguely remember reading that the collectors on the shorty, stock headers on 1982's were larger than those on the 81's. If so, do they offer any performance over stock ram's horns? I've got the 69 style stock sidepipes and would love to get rid of the ram's horns but damned if I'll pay for McJacks headers that look more or less the same as the 82 stock ones.

I had a set of stock, stripped of all the heat sheild crap, '87 vette headers....
had the AIR holes welded in and everything.....wish I had used them instead of all the BS I have since, not that what I have is BAD, just that the stock shit is much easier to work with....

:clobbered:

I vaguely remember reading that the collectors on the shorty, stock headers on 1982's were larger than those on the 81's. If so, do they offer any performance over stock ram's horns? I've got the 69 style stock sidepipes and would love to get rid of the ram's horns but damned if I'll pay for McJacks headers that look more or less the same as the 82 stock ones.

You are wise.
I went to McJacks and looked at his headers. They are stcock units that have been ceramic coated. They even have a GM stamp on them. Ergo, he does NOT make headers. He charges an arm and leg for ceramic coating of stock units.

Can't speak to McJacks, but having tossed my factory '81 "headers" years ago, I would seriously consider some other manufacturer. The factory ones just have the worst cuts and the welds aren't really very good either. Besides, if you find a set off an '82 that has any miles on it, chances are high that the AIR tube already have cracks around the welds.

Can't speak to McJacks, but having tossed my factory '81 "headers" years ago, I would seriously consider some other manufacturer. The factory ones just have the worst cuts and the welds aren't really very good either. Besides, if you find a set off an '82 that has any miles on it, chances are high that the AIR tube already have cracks around the welds.

I'd remove the air tubes and plug the holes anyways. You are right about the welds though. I remeber having to repair some on my 81 manifolds. My welds didn't look out of place and were TERRIBLE.