97 camaro horrible vibration and howling noise

Well, not exactly. They are similar but not the same. the 4th gen rear is 2" wider, the control arm setup and all is the same. The later ones have the zexel diff, the 3rd gens never had that. The perf. axle for the 3rg en up to 1990 was the BW 9 bolt.

Jeff, the modern diffys are not strong like they used to be, all that MPG crap....I dunno your Camaro specifically, but be surprised if it had a heavy diffy in there....

I bet it's diffy....

:suicide:

if he has the 10 bolt zexel thorsen, it's about the same strength as the large gear earlier 10 bolt. Nothing wrong with it and the ZT is a very nice diff much nicer than the eaton plate diff.

Jeff, what's your axle ratio? G80 is perf. axle, do you have G92 also? J65 would be 4 wheel discs

The car has a perf. axle ratio option. believe it is a 3.42 the car had some optional performance package on it that gave it all of this along with dual muffler outlets etc.

That's what I thought: 4th gen (93-02) (LT1 and LS1) all the same rear axle... as I recall mine had the 3.42 axle....
If that really is your problem it's cheap to replace.... doubtful that you can break it with a stock V6 though....

i'm very curious to hear what the actual reason for the vibration was....i hope it's sumthing that can be fixed cheap but I kinda doubt it's the diffy....not with a stock 3.8

That's what I thought: 4th gen (93-02) (LT1 and LS1) all the same rear axle... as I recall mine had the 3.42 axle....
If that really is your problem it's cheap to replace.... doubtful that you can break it with a stock V6 though....

i'm very curious to hear what the actual reason for the vibration was....i hope it's sumthing that can be fixed cheap but I kinda doubt it's the diffy....not with a stock 3.8

It's a stock 3.8 only thing ever changed on it was plugs and plug wires. I sent it to a local shop late yesterday but really not sure when they will get to it since I told them no rush on the car.

Y87 = 3800 V6 Performance Package

Auburn or Zexel Torsen Limited Slip Differential
3.42 gears Auto/3.23 gears Standard
14.4:1 Sport Steering (same as Z28)
Four-Wheel Disc Brakes
dual muffler outlets

It lists it could have come with either differential, mine is a late build car since it has a digital odometer and early builds had mechanical odometers.

It is the driveshaft causing the problem. This repair is going to hurt! I am at this time taking donations lol.

It is the driveshaft causing the problem. This repair is going to hurt! I am at this time taking donations lol.

Universals not so bad, a 20 buck part.....or is it CV joints for some odd reason??

wooden put it past them.....

wooden put it past ME to change it over to universals either....:club::stirpot:

Universals not so bad, a 20 buck part.....or is it CV joints for some odd reason??

It's going to cost right about 950.00 to repair not a 20.00 universal joint repair LOL. They are going to look into a cheaper alternative for me though, they are going to call a place and see about an aluminum driveshaft for the car.

Was told it is a non serviceable throw away driveshaft because you can't buy just the bearing for it.

Last edited:
You can have a custom driveshaft made for less than that.

Buy a used driveshaft and two U-joints at the "zone" and swap it yourself, piece of cake... $100 total.....

Was told it is a non serviceable throw away driveshaft because you can't buy just the bearing for it.

bearing ???

I remember the factory U-joints on my aluminum Z28 driveshaft were NOT held in place with a clip like most other U-joints, a plastic pin had to be melted with a torch, then the U-joint could be removed... the replacement from the 'zone' came with standard clips

MAYBE that is why they think it's not replaceable.... just guessing here...

You can have a custom driveshaft made for less than that.

Buy a used driveshaft and two U-joints at the "zone" and swap it yourself, piece of cake... $100 total.....

will vibration be more noticeable then the original type setup? I have had 3rd gen f-bodies and hated there vibrations where as this original setup on my car I never felt any.

bearing ???

I remember the factory U-joints on my aluminum Z28 driveshaft were NOT held in place with a clip like most other U-joints, a plastic pin had to be melted with a torch, then the U-joint could be removed... the replacement from the 'zone' came with standard clips

I guess mine has a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing. Anyways it is this bearing that went bad and this is non serviceable meaning you can't buy it by itself, you have to buy the whole drive shaft assembly as a unit.

It's going to cost right about 950.00 to repair not a 20.00 universal joint repair LOL. They are going to look into a cheaper alternative for me though, they are going to call a place and see about an aluminum driveshaft for the car.

WTF!!!

WTF they make that thing outta?? Queen of England's jewels or something??

I can call some driveline companies here in cheep old Jax if you want...trick is shipping....:sos:

bearing ???

I guess mine has a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing. Anyways it is this bearing that went bad and this is non serviceable meaning you can't buy it by itself, you have to buy the whole drive shaft assembly as a unit.

:hissyfit: 2 piece shaft in a CAR?? wtf, chebby did that for a long time in their heavy vans, and the same thing in this motor home, woopie doo, I had it shortened in the forward section to accomodate the new tranny, but it's just a typical universal on each end...splines and bearing in middle for some stupid reason....and I say WTF, because all these decades freeking Chrysler/Dodge used a LONG driveshaft with a typica U on each end....

never did understand why GM didn't....works for them, cheep as hell...no vibrations either....

:bonkers::crutches:

Seems in 98 or 99 GM did away with this setup. So maybe a drive shaft from a later model might be what can be done.

Seems in 98 or 99 GM did away with this setup. So maybe a drive shaft from a later model might be what can be done.

I know for sure the '99 V6 has a "standard" driveshaft...

if it's balanced correctly it won't vibrate :thumbs:

These guys have a "heavy duty" driveshaft new for $350, listed to fit 82-02 Fbodies.

http://www.lmpracing.com/cat/2/2.html

I'd just get a used one piece driveshaft, I googled it (97 camaro drive shaft) and it seems you're not the only one with this problem, many have installed the 1 pc shaft.... many upgrade to the aluminum LS1 shaft so it seems they're all interchangeable...

..... you just saved $850 .... :lol::lol::D:D

I found this picture, I am not sure if my car has the same since I have never been under my camaro.

camarodriveshafts.jpg

I'm looking at the spohn extreme duty shaft. I don't see the point of aluminum since this car is a grocery getter so any performance gains wouldn't matter anyways.

However it lists U-joint sizes and slip yoke sizes. What would my car has come with? Im pretty sure it is a 4l60 trans though.

would this be a good choice for my car? I'de rather go this route and know it's a good driveshaft then worry about the shop the car is at hiring some hillbilly with a welder making matters worse.