A/C bracket solution for pancake style compressor

Red

I couldn't find any posts using a search, so I'll ask here. My 79 350 engine has long tube headers and power accessories that use individual belts. That said, I'm going to aluminum heads and need to find another way to mount my old pancake style A/C compressor. Currently, it retains the factory bracket that uses a long bolt going through the first header bolt flange in the head. It also has a rod bracket that bolts it to the intake manifold. When I move to aluminum heads, I'd like to mount the compressor without using the exhaust header bolt hole. I considered a serp system from a C-4, but it will absorb too much of my budget. Does anyone have a solution using the old individual belt system? I can weld and have scrap plate steel, but no plan; and I don't want to reinvent something already done. This is where your brain power comes in. Thanks for your thoughts!

I don't know if it is what I'm looking for since there is no picture showing it mounted. It might be designed to work in conjunction with the factory bracket. My current bracket mounts with two bolts on the head front and the first exhaust bolt with a 2 1/2 inch shoulder bolt and spacer. In addition there is a rod bracket off the intake manifold.

The two bolts in Hooker's picture look to be header bolts and I'm trying to get away from using the header mounting holes for the A/C. It isn't a problem on iron heads, but I'm afraid the softer aluminum will have the threads ware and create a header flange leak. Maybe, I'm just gun shy with aluminum from past thread problems. I was thinking someone is using a bracket they made or bought and will chime in with a testamonial. Thanks for the suggestion, it might be a way to go. Having someone using it with aluminum heads and provide positive feedback would be comforting.

I don't know if it is what I'm looking for since there is no picture showing it mounted. It might be designed to work in conjunction with the factory bracket. My current bracket mounts with two bolts on the head front and the first exhaust bolt with a 2 1/2 inch shoulder bolt and spacer. In addition there is a rod bracket off the intake manifold.

The two bolts in Hooker's picture look to be header bolts and I'm trying to get away from using the header mounting holes for the A/C. It isn't a problem on iron heads, but I'm afraid the softer aluminum will have the threads ware and create a header flange leak. Maybe, I'm just gun shy with aluminum from past thread problems. I was thinking someone is using a bracket they made or bought and will chime in with a testamonial. Thanks for the suggestion, it might be a way to go. Having someone using it with aluminum heads and provide positive feedback would be comforting.

Running the '88 serp compressor without any of the rear bracing for years now...nothing to the headers or the intake....the comp is like a A6 with the pistons going fore/aft.....not in a R4 arrangement, which I would THINK puts the pulses in the other direction....
same for the alternator, not a issue, yet....15 years....

I do think the rear of the compressor needs support though....if you junkyard much, olde tyme Pontiacs used many iron accessory spacers cylinders with a 3/8 hole in them, I have some around that can do for you maybe, so keep them in mind, and if so, gimme a measure, I have to go fish....Tim seen my garage, and ran off in terror...

:drink::clobbered:

Running the '88 serp compressor without any of the rear bracing for years now...nothing to the headers or the intake....the comp is like a A6 with the pistons going fore/aft.....not in a R4 arrangement, which I would THINK puts the pulses in the other direction....
same for the alternator, not a issue, yet....15 years....

I do think the rear of the compressor needs support though....if you junkyard much, olde tyme Pontiacs used many iron accessory spacers cylinders with a 3/8 hole in them, I have some around that can do for you maybe, so keep them in mind, and if so, gimme a measure, I have to go fish....Tim seen my garage, and ran off in terror...

:drink::clobbered:
Won't those Pontiac spacers still use the exhaust manifold flange holes in the aluminum heads? If yes, I'm trying to find another way to mount and triangulate the compressor to the engine. Maybe, there is no other way and I'm grabbing for straws.

I've never had the A/C working on this '79 and the compressor was long gone when I got the car.... I just looked for a compressor bracket (google) and the Hooker bracket looked like it might be what you need.... I got a bracket with my Hooker sidepipes but I think (not sure) that it's for the alternator... I think I offered it in last year's Christmas giveaway.... if I still have it and if you need it you can consider it yours....

After looking at what I have and this bracket, it is starting to appear it might work. Next time I stop over I will try it out for fit. Maybe, a combination of this bracket, studs and helicoils I can make it come together. I was even considering using a different compressor, if the mount would be more frienfdly with an individual belt drive system. This picture shows the back side of the AC compressor and how it mounts to the first exhaust manifold bolt in the head. The shadow under where the bracket reaches the bolt hole isn't a shadow. It is where the header tube needed to be dinged for bracket clearance. This is another reason I would like to get rid of it, but that part is an integral part of the whole thing.
ACBracket001.jpg
[/IMG]
This picture is of the front side and shows one bolt into the water pump and barely shows a bracket pivot bolt that mounts to one bolt in the head.
ACBracket002.jpg
[/IMG]
This one shows the bracket that mounts to the intake manifold. This is a mighty complicated AC mounting system and why I'm looking for a simplier way using the individual belt system.
ACBracket003.jpg
[/IMG]
It is no wonder why so many have gone to the serp system. Factor in the alternator and power steering and it becomes a nightmare of brackets, belts and alignment issues. I'm going to tuff it out using the old junk for now.

That is a nice setup md, but it looks like you will have hood clearance issues, no? Is that out of an early C-4? A buddy recently brought his third gen Firebird to the drags with a Caprice roller motor and full serp system in it. The car is street/strip. The serp prevents him from closing the hood, so he is working on a solution. I believe a trip to the Corvette boneyard is in his future.

Plenty of room in the 77. Had to bend the AC hose down a half inch.

http://gmperformancepartszone.com/s...alblock-accessory-drive-kits-c-8_9_61_64.html

Thanks for the link, the delux kit looks interesting @ $800 and I assume that is what you used. It is compelling and something to think about. The November issue of Car craft has a story on page 42 titled 'Budget Serpentine Beltdrive.' They use a boneyard C/K1500/S-10 truck system with a AC delete pully. They claim with everything new or rebuilt, AC delete, it cost under $290. That is boneyard parts costing $40. All required to complete parts new or rebuilt were priced at Rock Auto. I'd like to have AC, so I'm figuering another $200 + a hose. I need to think about this a little more. If I didn't want AC, I'd just do the boneyard crawl and be done with it. There is something to be said for having all the parts delivered to your door, all new and no hassle.

800 CLAMS for the stuff brand new?? supposed to be a vette meet in Daytona, maybe just a car meet come Oct 4th?? can't believe you would miss out on a good clean '88-91 C4 accessory kit...

hell, I have maybe 200 bux into mine, from way back when...prices should be DOWN by NOW, especially in THIS economy.....

:bonkers::flash::D

Hold off a minit man, let's go fishin'......:(

Red, do a search for Alan Grove in Louisburg Kansas. Kevin has my catalog (I think?) but they make brackets for just about everything. A/C, headers, P/S, alternators, on just about every combination. They even have old nailhead Buick stuff.

800 CLAMS for the stuff brand new?? supposed to be a vette meet in Daytona, maybe just a car meet come Oct 4th?? can't believe you would miss out on a good clean '88-91 C4 accessory kit...

hell, I have maybe 200 bux into mine, from way back when...prices should be DOWN by NOW, especially in THIS economy.....

:bonkers::flash::D

Hold off a minit man, let's go fishin'......:(

Red, I must have some bad information from a couple weeks ago, I can't find a damn thing listed for any shows at Daytona or anywhere else for that matter on 4 Oct....or anything close....

for that matter, I thought there was one this weekend at Kissemmee/Orlando....nothing shown....

:flash:

Thanks for the offer MYBAD79, but after looking at my Mickey Mouse system and belt alignment issues, I'm serious about the serp system. Maybe I can keep it at a price where I don't need to file Chapter 11 in the process. When I get a chance, I'm visiting a few yards in the area and see what I discover. My local Adv Auto can get me a new AC compressor with hoses for under $200. I even have the name of a guy who specializes in AC work that will do the coolant reclamation and connection at a very nice price. As usual, the homework takes longer than actually doing the deed. I'm still planning, but making progress toward the desired end.