A/C Electrical ? 1982

gr8vet

Dang air! Working just fine, then clutch will not engage.

Blower works, fuse good on A/C. Clutch does not engage. Tested clutch, will engage with 12v applied directly to it. Checked plug to compressor overall in good condition.

Whats left to check?

Is there a relay somewhere I don't know about?

THanks!
tt

Sorry I don't remember '82 that well, but will try helping if no one else can....pm me if it slips by without help....

:shocking:

There is a low pressure switch on the accumulator. If that switch sees less than about 30 PSI, the power to the clutch is off. IIRC, the wires are both green- you can follow the green wire from the a/c clutch right back to that switch.
Also check for power to that switch when the inside controls are positioned for A/C- if there's no power to it, it's likely the electrical side of that switch may have a problem.

Thanks guys. I have now checked the pressure switch as well, jumped across it, still no power to compressor.

Guess I gotta start tracing or just run a new wire.

Oh fun..........

thnx
tt

Alright, coming into the bottom of the control switch in the console; brown wire 12V +; Yellow wire ? Lt Green goes to compressor. If I jump 12v here directly to green on plug compressor comes on, so, switch is bad. Second one to go bad, but usually the vacuum side.

Thinking of just adding an outboard switch here, but what about the yellow wire. Where does it go???

Well hell, that makes perfect sense eh? I was a thinking that may be the case. Thanks for the reassurance.

BTW, for once in my life, I found something I have been saving for 3 years, found one of the old switches (GM), gonna just swap out the bad one and keep the newer clean face. Matter of fact, test plugged it in and all is well. This switch came from Ecklers, and I have never felt like it had a good solid feel. The old one I found is the original GM, and it still feels firm. Replaced it due to appearance and vacuum side did not work well.

THanks again
tt