a/c recharge

keywestjack

My A/C is not working so I guess it is time to try a fix. I realize the refrigerant is no longe available. Is a conversion difficult? Are there kits that are better than another? What kind of special tools will I need? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jack

"Freon" is, or at least was, available out here in Calif. a few months back as a shop just rebuilt my system with it. It is just expensive. What I understand is that it is not manufactured in the US anymore, Just like nothing else in manufactured in the US any more. But you can bet that every oz is drained from every car that shows up in the wrecking yard. Just go to a reputable place to get it.

George

you can buy R12 freon if you have a license, that stuff is all over Ebay.... even at a AC shop it's not as expensive as a good R134a conversion incl new compressor...
the cheap retrofit kits won't work, been there done that.... i tried to convert my '93 Mustang on the cheap, lasted maybe three month.... never worked as good as the old freon, compressor died after three months or so....

you can buy R12 freon if you have a license, that stuff is all over Ebay.... even at a AC shop it's not as expensive as a good R134a conversion incl new compressor...
the cheap retrofit kits won't work, been there done that.... i tried to convert my '93 Mustang on the cheap, lasted maybe three month.... never worked as good as the old freon, compressor died after three months or so....

Me too. The "system" is designed around the refrigerant. Unless you change the condensor, evaporator, and compressor to match, the old R12 is best. I switched the 81 to 134A, and switched it back the following year. Hands down, the R12 is superior in the old "system."

NO doubt the old r12 is better than 134 so far as leaks are concerned, but with help from a old friend up north who knows more than anyone on any forum about a/c systems....except maybe ONE guy.....we converted my car to a 134 setup and it's been fine, one adjustment to the POA valve and honestly I did not notice much if any difference....

NOW truth be told, there is a 88+ compressor on the serp drive....so the seals are different....not sure about that, BUT had a old A6 system use 134 in another car and work fine...

no question that 134 leaks a whole lot more and will take a can a year to recharge the system, sometimes I get lucky and run a couple years...

but that's a whole lot cheeeeeeeper than paying someone to conform to the bullshit EPA crapola

bring back r12 so we can have chilly air again@!!!!!

:tomato::cool:

It can be converted to r134a with good results.

I just bought a 1987 corvette which had the aircon converted at sometime in US and exported to europe in january 2011 and has not been recharged since then and it still blows ice cold air.

I have no idea how much work there is involved with converting it but a big amount of my system looks new, including all hoses.

It can be converted to r134a with good results.

I just bought a 1987 corvette which had the aircon converted at sometime in US and exported to europe in january 2011 and has not been recharged since then and it still blows ice cold air.

I have no idea how much work there is involved with converting it but a big amount of my system looks new, including all hoses.

I agree it can be done but it is not cheap and it's more than just the R134 fitting adapters and different oil..... these retrofit kits for $30 just don't work - ok, let's rephrase: very few get lucky and it works for another year or so or until they sell the car.....

I converted my Mustang to 134a using a new Sanden compressor, adapter brackets to adapt this compressor to the old location on the engine, all new hoses, new expansion valve, new condenser... works great but it was close to $800 in parts only, with labor it would be $1200 I'm guessing....