Accusump?

yes, used one on a turbo formula amongst others, works great. Get the 3 qt one that you can pressurize.

Thank you for the info. As the plan was to use it mainly for start up oil. As from what I read there system will put oil back into the engine at around 25 to 30 PSI which is a bit high and would not wish to have 9 quarts in my engine at one time lol.

If you want to use it for pre start lubing you should buy the electric valve, otherwise you're opening and closing the valve manually all the time

A couple points...

The oil pressure supplied by the Accusump is what you precharge the air side to. Typically for any accumulator you charge it to standard operating pressure. So you needn't fear any sudden burst of high pressure oil because it's under your control.

Next, the guys are absolutely correct that you want an electric valve to open when the ignition is on. Trouble is those Goyens are hard to find so buy it with your Accusump.

That's my experience, hope it helps...Steve

A couple points...

The oil pressure supplied by the Accusump is what you precharge the air side to. Typically for any accumulator you charge it to standard operating pressure. So you needn't fear any sudden burst of high pressure oil because it's under your control.

Next, the guys are absolutely correct that you want an electric valve to open when the ignition is on. Trouble is those Goyens are hard to find so buy it with your Accusump.

That's my experience, hope it helps...Steve

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but otherwise I have to disagree with your precharge comment. The precharge pressure is what is left when all the oil has drained out. The (running) engine oil pressure will determine what the stored pressure is, assuming the precharge pressure doesn't exceed the engine oil pressure. And, when airpressure charging the system, remember that no oil will enter (and be stored in) the cylinder until the engine oil pressure exceeds the charge pressure. I've seen guys pressure charge the thing to 60 pounds, and then wonder why the thing didn't push any oil volume back into the engine. You only need enough charge pressure to overcome the seal friction so that all the oil will potentially be pushed out when you need it.

Yes, stored pressure = engine pressure + initial pressure you set when pressurizing the unit w/ the small valve. The precharge pressure is only about 6psi. First you pressurize it to 60-80 psi or so indeed, but this is done to set the piston all the way to the engine oil in/out side. After that you bleed off till the gauge reads about 6. The guys mentioned above must have forgotten to do that.

Good observation above from 69427,

We're dealing with semantics and that is an important detail. We shouldn't really be concerned about what the empty accumulator has on it, interesting as it may be.

The accumulator is an active component looking to maintain a constant pressure. If pressure spikes it's piston will retract and absorb the spike. If pressure drops it will move forward attempting to maintain the pressure. I can readily accept setting the precharge a bit above running pressure to get every last bit of oil into the engine, no question,

But in the end, you'll be best served matching the precharge in the vicinity of your running pressure.

Just trying to help...:thumbs:

We're dealing with semantics and that is an important detail. We shouldn't really be concerned about what the empty accumulator has on it, interesting as it may be.

The accumulator is an active component looking to maintain a constant pressure. If pressure spikes it's piston will retract and absorb the spike. If pressure drops it will move forward attempting to maintain the pressure. I can readily accept setting the precharge a bit above running pressure to get every last bit of oil into the engine, no question,

But in the end, you'll be best served matching the precharge in the vicinity of your running pressure.

Right this is what I thought that if ones engine has a min running oil pressure of say 30 PSI then I would think one would wish that the valve would be set at say 25 to 30 PSI to prevent oil starvation.

The precharge is only 6 psi, it's only there to make sure the air pressure side has a little higher pressure than the engine side at all times, this to overcome piston drag and a little more for positive piston travel. You do NOT set it to 30 or so PSI.

Remember, if you set it at 25 psi the accumulator will NOT fill up until engine pressure reaches 25. if you set it to 6 psi it will fill up starting there as the engine builds pressure the piston moves an x amount and this reduces the air side of the chamber. This reduction is done until both sides have equal pressure so if
P(precharge)+P(additional compression) = P(engine)

The precharge in the empty accumulator is the most important installation setting you make, if you do it wrong the thing won't work properly.

There's also a non adjustable spring loaded model, It has to be mounted vertical. The spring in that one serves the same function, it offers the needed preload to overcome piston drag and positively force oil out so that in case of a pressure drop on the engine side, the air side always has around 6 spi (or equal for the spring) over the engine side. Without that pressure differential there would be no driving force to get the oil out of the accumulator.