After Market Tach Mounting

4 SPEED

Where is a good place to mount an after market tach in a C3

A picture would be great

How about in the factory position?
My mechanical to electronic conversion for my LS swap.
PICT0122.jpg

I was thinking about that but decided to stay away from the dash and leave the old one in place.

Anything outta the dash is a theft target, something I learned decades ago.....

they pried my aftermarket tach up and off the STEEL DASH SURFACE and it was held down with a double thick fender washer and a allan cap screw from underside, so out came the mexican screwdriver leaving a huge hole torn in the dash metal.....

:bomb::cussing:

That's why I leave my keys in the ignition, let them have the whole thing.
I have good insurance.

I have a 74 with tach drive distributor.
Will be removing old distributor and installing new one that does not have tach drive.
Old tach will stay in dash but looking for a place to mount new Sun Tach.
I have tilt/teloscopic steering column so I need to find some other location for mounting.

Actually, I had an electronic Isspro tach on my shelf that had the exact same sweep as my 68 mechanical. Even the 2 face srew holes matched up.
The isspro housing was smaller diameter than the vette, so I just mounted it in the vette housing with the vette faceplate and needle.
I was even able to keep the brake light and directional.

PICT0122.jpg

I take it you took a -77 tach and converted the old one with it's guts?

Actually, I had an electronic Isspro tach on my shelf that had the exact same sweep as my 68 mechanical. Even the 2 face srew holes matched up.
The isspro housing was smaller diameter than the vette, so I just mounted it in the vette housing with the vette faceplate and needle.
I was even able to keep the brake light and directional.

PICT0122.jpg

I take it you took a -77 tach and converted the old one with it's guts?

It was a lighting/turn signal shituation that was the final straw on my keeping the stock tach/speedo.....became too much battle for too little a gain, so took easy way out.....GOD I"m LAZY......:crutches:

One other reason that I didn't use the 77 tach. The LS motors put out a 4 cylinder tach signal. Back when I did my LS swap, I wasn't sure if all ECUs could be programmed for 8 cylinder (it was pretty new then). As far as I know, the 77 cant be set for 4 cylinder operation. So I got a tach that could be set for 4,6,8 cylinder.